About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=7e6bc1c1c03d0b201f190bed317aa714Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Havok Solo build ** DONE ! **
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdyyz ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a great thread to read and watch. I just recently decided to make myself a top-notch Han, which inevitably lead me to this website and forum. I've been voraciously reading all the different build topics, which will hopefully provide guidance and inspiration for my project.
Havok69 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent! Another Han in the works. Make sure to post a build thread, I always enjoy seeing new builds progress, and it has been kind of quiet around here lately.

A small update on mine; in the next week or so I'll be ordering a vest, shirt and pants from Magnoli. Can't wait! (I really do need to learn how to sew. I think when I attempt a Jedi outfit, with all the great tutorials, I may just take the plunge. Definitely going New Republic however, there's not enough NR around here...)

By all means, if you have any questions, feel free to ask - there's a lot of great resources here on this board, and everyone has been super helpful with my build.
jedimika ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be prepared for a wait from Magnoli. I ordered a pair of ESB pants last year in February and it took me the greater part of year to get them. When he(?) finally found my order he said he couldn't send it with the riding seam as his workers said it was too much work. I asked for a refund and he said he'd talk to them some more and I eventually got my pants as ordered. I was surprised as I'd ordered the ANH pants and pilot gloves from them before and never had a problem. I'm happy with the quality (and fit) of all my Magnoli items but I'm hesitant about using them again. I'm interested in seeing what your experience with them will be. Keep us posted.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info on Magnoli; I'll definitely keep everyone informed as to my experience. I'm hoping this is the slower part of the season, and I can get this stuff in before NYCC in October. It did take a while, but he made it right with my glove order, so we'll see what happens here...
jdyyz ()

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magnoli's stuff looks great, but I'd need to save many pennies for that Crying or Very sad

I am going to have a go at making my own stuff. I'll probably have to head to mom's for some advice, as my significant other doesn't know the first thing about sewing. Mr. Green
Havok69 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just ordered my stuff from Magnoli, now we'll see how long it takes. Once these items come in, I'm done with the soft parts. I'll have an update soon on my droid caller "accurization" - thanks to Lichtbringer I have a lead on the correct type of paint to get the proper finish.

Stay tuned!
jdyyz ()

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool! I am looking forward to your review of the Magnoli stuff. I am still waiting on my boots, which are on their way from the Ukraine.

If you can, please post lots of pics of the gear. Thanks!
Havok69 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will do - I love seeing threads with lots of pics also.

Teeny update on my Magnoli order - it went from pending to processing. The next email update I get from him will be when my order is shipping.

I went ahead and painted my droid caller today. Tomorrow I'll check up on the finish and see how it's looking.
Havok69 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So we have a page with no pictures yet, and that simply cannot be. Here's the results so far with painting the droid caller:

My Blackberry doesn't do it justice; in person it looks much more like the Kobold's finish. To complete the process I have to bake it for one hour at 200 degrees. Once that is complete, I'll take another picture to show the difference. Once it's been baked, the paint is supposed to be much more durable and chip resistant.

This is what I ended up using:

VHT's Wrinkle Plus paint....

Also, just picked up this little guy:

Now I can delete the big thumbscrew on the bottom of the droid caller for a more accurate look. Almost there!
Lichtbringer ()

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I´m waiting for pictures. Wink

Have a nice day,
Michael
Nikkos Khann (Conley Nichols)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is really nice, looks very similar from what I can tell. Smile

'I've got a bad feeling about this!'
Docking Bay 94 Commanding Officer 2011-2014
Comlink Admin - Fringe LCJ,
Charter Committee
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Havok69 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I snuck the droid caller body into the oven for an hour last night and it didn't make a difference in the appearance. Fortunately, it didn't stink the house up like I feared it would. Of course, I did let it dry for a couple of days first, in the hope that it would off gas most of the fumes it could possibly put out when heated. I guess the baking process was just to strengthen the paint and make it more durable.

Once I get some more spare time I'll put it back together and snap a few pictures. Getting closer to being able to submit my application!
Havok69 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I just couldn't let it sit, I had to put it back together. And here is the result:

I think it came out pretty good. I'm very satisfied with the paint replicating the wrinkle finish of the real Kobold. This picture shows it much better. While I had the thing apart I also did a few things. The LED that was pre-installed was a little dim for my taste. I put in a super bright LED in it's place so now the light function is much more noticeable, especially in a well lit room.

Additionally, the 9 volt battery just flopped around in there, so I cut a spare piece of foam (from a case of hard drives - absolutely perfect for the job) to take up the slack and keep the battery from moving around.

Almost finished!
Lichtbringer ()

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much better. Very Happy

What really pops in my eyes is the silver piece that shall resemble the Kobolds reflector bracket - yours is much better than the actual (just checked the evoprops website).

But there is still some potential for improving. Wink

Have a nice day,
Michael
jedimika ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 13 of 15

Jump to: