About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=ede14bb272d1cef18e5f089a6b6f7f2eMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Hoth Leia - build thread
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shelltrooper (Michelle Yarwood)

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:37 pm    Post subject: Hoth Leia - build thread Reply with quote

Whilst I can't submit my official clearance photos just at the moment (my hair is blonde until next week when I'll be trooping again Very Happy ) I thought I'd post a 'How I Did It' thread as there doesn't seem to be many Leia's in Hoth gear around and I thought it may spark a little interest in the costume Smile

I've always really liked this outfit and it was a toss-up between attempting this one or her Endor gear but Simon convinced me that this one was cooler (no pun intended!)

Anyway, it all started by gathering as many decent photos as I could and I began to scour the web for days and days trying to find a suitable racing suit, I gave up and bought a sewing machine instead. I made the suit from a pattern for a jump-suit but had to make loads of modifications to it to make it the right shape for Leia and to fit me well.

This is the top half (minus arms of course!)

This is a one of the lower arm patches before it was sewn on. These were a bit of a hit-and-miss affair, as I had to shape, measure and quilt them before adding the piping.

This is the suit after the lower half was added, with the lower arm patches pinned on ready for stitching, and the upper arm patches marked ready for quilting.

And all stitched on with the chest patches

Current costumes (UK Garrison cleared) : Boushh...Hoth Leia

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The vest was made by looking at the upper suit pattern and then for want of a better word, 'blagging' it!. I made a very rough template to get a shape which I then modified, filled and quilted. The pockets have had the quilting pattern stitched through, as per the screen used vest. This part is pretty much finished here, bar adding rank insignia and insignia pocket on the left breast.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little further along... it was just a few small things that needed to get completed...

The suit and jacket are both completed here (bar the command control thingy-wotsit on the left arm) That has been made though from an old tape-measure and various other random bits and bobs Smile )

The boots are all put together at this point too but needed some subtle weathering to blend the colours between the boots themselves and the boot covers as I just couldn't match the colours well enough. I used chalk pastels to do this (along with the weathering on the boots) and it worked really well. The colours blended pretty easily and have stayed on well

And, most importantly, I managed to sort the hair! To be honest, I thought this would be my biggest stumbling block. I'm naturally quite fair and currently have lots of blonde hilights so have to dye my hair to make this work. I bought a long clip in ponytail and plaited it quite tightly, I attached it to an alice band and used kirby-grips (and lots of hairspray!!) to keep it in place.

Last edited by Shelltrooper (Michelle Yarwood) on Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here she is, all done!

I did have times when I wondered if I took on too much, but as my first full on sewing project, I'm really pleased how it turned out. I hope you like her Smile

Mieal Deneb (Rachel Orange)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks great. Smile

*Just to clarify for the detail freaks like me, the quilting on the arm and leg "patches" is actually open loop/lozenge shapes, not closed squares.

Copy and paste: http://www.padawansguide.com/c3/hoth14_med.jpg

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dammit! I wish I'd seen that two years ago Sad I have countless photos of the costume and this is the first time I've seen this shot

Unfortunatley, it's too late for me to change the patches now though jeez

Princess Sandy ()
Legion XO
Legion XO

Medals: 2 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your hair is blonde right now, you can submit your approval photos for this costume and get it approved. As long as you have the correct hair style, you can have your hair color be brown, blonde or red, as long as it is a naturally occurring hair color for humand, not blue or purple or pink, etc. If you wish to wait to submit until your hair is brown again, then that is up to you and your personal preference. Smile

*Just to let you know, I am a blonde slave Leia, and a blonde fireside Padme, lake dress Padme, and arena Padme...all approved formal/canon*

Your costume looks amazing!!! always loved this costume, i hope to do the bespin escape costume in the future, but it is so hot down in southern Louisiana, that i fear Hoth Leia would not get much use and would kill me, haha.
www.facebook.com/PrincessSandy41280
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Sandy. My main problem is that whilst I'm blonde, the hair piece is dark Laughing

Thankyou for the kind words Very Happy

Princess Sandy ()
Legion XO
Legion XO

Medals: 2 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could always try to do the another hair piece with blonde hair, and that way, no matter if you hair is blonde or brown, you will always have a hair piece that matches. Very Happy
www.facebook.com/PrincessSandy41280
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mieal Deneb (Rachel Orange)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shelltrooper wrote:
Dammit! I wish I'd seen that two years ago Sad I have countless photos of the costume and this is the first time I've seen this shot

Unfortunatley, it's too late for me to change the patches now though jeez

Don't worry about it too much. It's a detail that is hard to catch unless you have some great pics of the original costume. Padawan's Guide is perfect for that! Smile

padawan_rachael (Rachael James)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your costume looks great!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I'm necro-posting on this thread. I have a question on the quilting on the sides, between the ribs and hips. Does that half circle also go around the back or only the front?
RebelSenator (Raychel Enck)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Padawans guide has some good pictures of this. I think this one may answer your queston.

MidSouth Garrison, Public Relations Officer
http://www.facebook.com/LCJedi
Naergi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one shows it even better - copy and paste the link to a new tab or window, Padawansguide has hotlinking protection which won't make the image show up if you click on it or try to embed it:
http://www.padawansguide.com/originaltrilogy/hoth66.jpg
lellila (Jennifer Angel)
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent job!

I have a small question. How did you get the wrist prop to stay onto the costume? I have my Hoth nearly done, except attaching the piece. Its heavy!

Thx, Smile

Jen
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: