About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=fdae0307e71035bf1155d534876caaf8Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

An Ewok for Echo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Supporters
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JediMasterMark (Mark Jones)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:50 pm    Post subject: An Ewok for Echo Reply with quote

So someone mentions to me she wants to have an Ewok costume. After finding out that is not grounds for divorce in my state, we start gathering material. Smile Here are a few screenshots and notes on the materials we've put together so far.

1. Yub yub: Every 'wok needs a mouth and nose to gibber from. She formed it from Sculpey and baked it this afternoon.

2. Fur -or- tick hiding spots: How I love discount coupons from Jo-Ann. We got a 50% discount on some fur that was surprisingly Wookie-like, but looked good for this project, too. It'll be matted up and painted around the mouth to give it a more lived in appearance.

3. Ewok skull - not as easy to crush as one might think! I found a vintage fencing mask off eBay for $20. I think I'll need to hammer out the curve in the front, but the rigid frame will mean you can easily attach parts, as well as drilling through the top mesh to attach the ears in a permanent method.
(Ignore what it's sitting on... that's another 'legit' project I'm working on. Wink )

4. Ewoks in the Hood: I found this material on sale as well and actually cut a hefty swath from it for tabards in a new Jedi costume. But it looks like, with proper weathering, it will turn into a fine hood. Here's a comparison of leather and fur.

5. I love it when an Ewok comes together. Here's a simple throw-together of the parts on the table to see what it may end up looking like.

Troop tomorrow or no, I think someone is motivated enough to head off in search of baby bottle caps and some tint for the eyes tonight. Smile

I'll post more pics as we go along... feedback and suggestions are appreciated!
Jada ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will this infestation of Ewoks never cease? I think they've developed rabbit procreation habits! Laughing Wink

Rest In Peace Iceobel - Faithful Dog - August 1997 - July 2011

Rest In Peace Leo - Feline Companion and Comforter - adopted March 2005 - August 2013
TK-6162 (Mark Williams)

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right on! Might want to get some 2" -3" inch upholstery foam and create some cheeks and a little definition around the face before adding the fur.

Just a thought

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

btw, anything I can do to help, just let me know.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appreciate it, friend! It's a good idea to puff the cheeks out a little bit with some foam, and I think she mentioned that in her plan. I know she's been pouring over Wicket images across the web and has a pretty good line of attack for the head. We've found some clear bubbles (the tops of toy dice, of all things) and while we don't have flexible tint like we wanted, she did try to stretch some dark, thin cloth across the 'eye' and it still appeared reflective like his eyes.

Also, went to Jo-Anns last night. Naturally, they didn't have more of the fashion fur we took for the head. So I'll be calling around to some other Jo-Ann stores today and asking if they have some in stock.
TK-6162 (Mark Williams)

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fur your using looks a lot like "Cubby Bear Nutmeg" In the event you don't find any locally you can goggle it and find a bunch on line. Most merchants will also send swatches of the different varieties of faux fur to help you find the perfect match.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adding a few progress pics today. Picked up the pattern this weekend for the costume (Simplicity 2853), and have yards of Cubby Bear Nutmeg now (thanks, Mark W.!) The fur that was shipped in is shorter than the first purchased fashion fur, but no JoAnns seems to carry it anymore. That's okay - looking at detailed pictures, Mia noted how the face and belly furs seem to be longer than the body fur, so it'll be a good blend. We'll be working on the eyes and body at the same time. I've also picked up monster hands from eBay to get the hands ready. Once the hood is done, I'll attach the ears and the leather will be weathered.

Ewok makeover:

Finally set with some fur, the faux leather draped over and in a picture taking mood:

'I'm ready for my closeup, Mr. Lucas...'

What a perfect warm weather costume, eh? lol
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An update... we've worked on this over the weekend and made some progress, as Mia wants to wear it for the Autism Walk troop next weekend.

First, the head with teeth and eyes in place. A BIG thank you to Mark Williams (TK-6162) for the flexible tint on the eyes as well as paving the way. His advice as well as the documentation of the build on the RPF & here has been invaluable! The next step is to continue weathering. The ear tips have to be glued down, but I"m thinking of replacing the felt with cut fur instead, gradually lengthening it as it gets to the tips (or is it the other way around? Time to go look at the cat's ears...).

Head:

Head w/leather before weathering, no flash

Head w/ leather before weathering, flash.

She's got the body parts cut out and will hopefully be able to get everything together shortly - more pics to follow!
ewok55 (Ashley McClintock)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is awesome....i am trying to get some info together so i can make my ewok!!!i love how you did everything and broke it down.was a great help for me

Ashley
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome, Ashley. It's been approved, and now just a matter of adding new bits and weathering more. I would suggest (though trial and wearing, now) using a lighter mask as a base for it... the fencing mask gets heavy after a while. But it's great for cold weather troops. Smile But if you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

ewok55 (Ashley McClintock)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome!!!Congrats on the approval
Shiggles (Dawn Del Spina)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ewok Good build! I must ask though, did you use sculpey to make fingers and toes too? I am about ot build an ewok myself. :-)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hands were Monster Hands found on eBay. I cut the last two fingers off and attached them to the shoes for the toes, and then made a third toe from Sculpey.
Furiafelina (Ineabelle Rodriguez)
Puerto Rico Base CO
Puerto Rico Base CO

Medals: 9 (View more...)
Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's fantastic, makes me want to have an ewok costume too!

Detachment Leader / Former Legion Costume Judge
Mrcosmo ()

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great ewok. My daughter wants me to make one for her so we can tool together
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Supporters All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: