About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=e4d4b5f4e235875b5d2ee15f52f0d192Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

PA, DuBois: Galaxy Far Far Away Camp June 30th
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Echo Base -> Echo Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Will you join the Padawans on June 30th?
YES! I will share my wisdom with the younglings!
50%
 50%  [ 2 ]
No--the younglings will have to do without my wisdom that day
50%
 50%  [ 2 ]
Users Voted : 4
Total Votes : 4
Detailed Results

Mahim ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:56 pm    Post subject: PA, DuBois: Galaxy Far Far Away Camp June 30th Reply with quote

WHAT: Kids In College, "Galaxy Far Far Away Camp"
WHERE: Penn State DuBois Campus <---Click for campus location
WHEN: June 30th, 2011, 11:00am-3:00pm

Penn State's "Kids In College" program is an outreach effort of the University that supports Pennsylvania's Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) educational initiative. Galaxy Far Far Away Camp provides a cross-cultural/multicultural component to the KiC curriculum by focusing on the mythology and world cultures that influenced George Lucas' vision in creating the Star Wars universe. Along with classroom time we also have time for games and activities based on the world cultures we're studying. The course is designed for students at a 3rd-5th grade level.

Here is a list of the topics covered during the course:

MONDAY - "THE AUREBESH" - We spend time exploring how our alphabet evolved over many centuries and many countries. Students use their own Aurebesh decoder cards to solve puzzles and translate screenshots from the movies and Clone Wars episodes.

TUESDAY - "THE JEDI WAY" - Students are introduced to some of the cultural, mythical and philosophical influences on the Jedi in Lucas' films, with particular emphasis on the history, development and philosophy of Buddhism.

WEDNESDAY - "BUCKETS ON" - Students are introduced to the way masks, helmets and face paint have played an important role in cultures throughout history.

THURSDAY - "TROOPING DAY" - Through participating 501st/Rebel Legion troopers, kids get "up close and personal" with some of their favorite Star Wars characters.

The class (which I fully expect to fill to capacity) runs from 12:30 to 2:30, with a snack break halfway through. Here’s how it will go down:

12:30-12:45—We’ll make our entrance and have a meet & greet with the students (buckets on)

12:45-1:15-1:30—A Q&A armor panel to talk about the cultural/mythological significance of our costumes (can go buckets off at this point). Tips and ideas for how kids can make their own costumes/props also welcome!

1:45-2:20 – After the kids’ snack break (TBA), we’ll have time for pictures, more questions, etc. Weather permitting, we may go outdoors for games or other activities.

This was a HUGELY popular event last year; check out last year's Mission Report for more details. (I'm also proud to say that this event was featured in the Summer 2010 issue of Comlink. This troop provides a unique opportunity to let kids see the Star Wars mythos in a whole new (educational) light.

As an added bonus, the campus houses a "Digital Commons" area complete with green-screen. After the troop, if you'd like to use the facility to take green-screen pictures of your costume to use in print/web/trading card projects, I'll see to it that the facility is available that day.

So let's go, Echo! This is an excellent opportunity to pass on what we've learned and give kids a chance to see their favorite Star Wars characters "up close and personal". Trust me--it will be a blast!

Attending:

1. Tharren Thompson (EC) Echo - Ep. III Obi-Wan
2. Garrett Roen Carida - TR
3. Dave "Skippy" Jones Carida - ANH TK
4. Dave Johnston (tentative) Carida - TB
5. Walter Peters Carida - ROTS Vader
6. Andrew Marzka (tentative) Carida - TX (?)
7. Tim Levan Echo - RFT/Tusken/??
8. Shawn A. (tentative) Carida - TBA
9. Candy A. (tentative) Carida - Tusken
10. Tom T. Echo - CC (Bly)

"It is the happy man who does the useless things; the sick man is not strong enough to be idle." - G. K. Chesterton, "Orthodoxy"

Last edited by Mahim () on Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:37 pm; edited 14 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Endorscout64

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Members,

Tharren said it all, this event is a great one, the first one we did is in the volume 10 of the 2010 Comlink. We will not be breaking the fourth rule, since the audience knows that we are coming and we'll be discussing the costumes that will be on display. This event rocked last year! I recommend anyone to do this! - especially Central PA!

Last edited by Endorscout64 on Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
DocBev (Nicky Blum)

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The event sounds so neat.
Too bad it's in the middle of the week and I'm several hours away.

Nicky "Doc_Bev" Blum
The Rebel Legion: Echo Base
501st Legion: Legion Events Coordinator
RAID - Fire Team Echo & KJO - Blumfruit Temple
Mahim ()
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Endorscout64 wrote:
Members,

Tharren said it all, this event is a great one, the first one we did is in the volume 10 of the 2010 Comlink. We will not be breaking te the fourth rule, since the audience knows that we are coming and we'll be discussing the costumes that will be on display. This event rocked last year! I recommend anyone to do this! - especially Central PA!

Thanks for the endorsement, Cap'n! Does this mean we'll see you again this year?? I know it's a tough troop to make, but as you've already pointed out, it's worth it. Hope you can come!

"It is the happy man who does the useless things; the sick man is not strong enough to be idle." - G. K. Chesterton, "Orthodoxy"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
sgt carida (Wally Peters)
Archived Member Profile

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you extended an invite to Carida yet? I'm 50/50 on this event due to work situation.
Mahim ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sgt carida wrote:
Have you extended an invite to Carida yet? I'm 50/50 on this event due to work situation.

I sent the details to Tim Wimbush yesterday, but don't know whether he's posted them yet or not. Hope you can make it--it's going to be a great day!

Endorscout64

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carida has this event in their Upcoming Events.
Endorscout64

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This event is now official. Seeing that there are two members (1/1) ratio who are going to attend, this event is a go. Anyone else who is open to do this event is welcome to sign up.
Endorscout64

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tharren would this event require Squires?
Mahim ()
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Endorscout64 wrote:
Tharren would this event require Squires?

I think it would be a good idea--particularly as many kids as we had last year, having squires for crowd control, taking pictures, keeping kids from running around with props, etc. Plus we could use the extra hands in setting up display items and costumes for the armor panel.

This event generates a HUGE amount of interest on campus and in the community as well. People are already asking me if we're offering this class this summer, and like last year there will be people coming in for Thursday who don't even have kids in the class because they've heard that there are Star Wars characters coming.

I know this is one of those troops that involves some sacrifice on the part of our members; I certainly can't in good conscience ask people to give up a vacation day in order to come to DuBois, but at the same time this is a unique opportunity to educate kids about some of the rich cultural and mythical background of the SW saga. And I know that this is a group of people who take community service and education very seriously--we're not just in this hobby to play dress-up. I've met a lot of people in the RL/501st who are constantly on the look out for ways to enrich the lives of people around them, whether or not a SW costume is involved.

I know this will be a very satisfying troop for whoever can make it. Hope to see you all there!

Mahim ()
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, Skipper--I HEARTILY approve of the change of event name! I'll see if we can't get it re-named in the University's internal records and any further publicity we do from here on out.

Mahim ()
Active Legion Member

Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and yes, I'm having a bit of fun with the roster on the first post, since I happen to know about a few WIP builds currently in the works here in our little corner of the 'verse (to mix a metaphor...)

This actually brings up a point that I want to reinforce--this event will also include a "buckets off" armor panel where we will talk to the kids about the costumes we have. If you have any WIP costumes, feel free to bring them along as well to give kids an idea of how these things come together. Bring props, pieces of builds you have going, etc. All of it will add to the chance the kids will have to learn not just about cultures and mythology, but about this hobby as well!

General Fidelis (Tom T.)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tharren, I may be able to make this one, brother. It's actually better for me that it's on a week day. I'll confirm soon!

Clones of the Republic (COR) Detachment Founder
Former Clone Trooper LCJ
TC-9927
Mahim ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

General Fidelis wrote:
Tharren, I may be able to make this one, brother. It's actually better for me that it's on a week day. I'll confirm soon!

Great news, General! Hope you can make it!

Mahim ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 2:48 pm    Post subject: KiC UPDATE! Reply with quote

Just spoke with the Penn State DuBois Continuing Ed Outreach Coordinator for Kids in College--she tells me that we have 12 students signed up so far for the "Galaxy Far Far Away Camp" (formerly "Galactic [REDACTED] Academy"). This is great news, since the mailers only went out a week or so ago, and the class only has 20 seats available. (It's going to fill up WAY before the first day of class June 27th!) If you were there last year you know how full the room got on Thursday--I'm seriously going to have to look for a bigger room for this year. Weather permitting we may move it to the event lawn outside, if I can manage it.

So get ready, troopers! If you've been here before you know how much fun this will be! If this is your first time (or you're still on the fence), let me tell you, this will be one of the highlights of your whole trooping year!

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Echo Base -> Echo Archive All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: