About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=da52f8b8ecb5298332b0aadc706fc8b7Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Mississippi Chewie
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrvoodoo (Jason Chrest)

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:21 am    Post subject: Mississippi Chewie Reply with quote

After considering this for the past year or so - tossing and turning between vader and chewie.. I've come to the conclusion that building chewie would be much more fun and I'd be more proud of myself afterwards - so here comes yet another new chewie Very Happy

Starting from the ground up with the feet first. I'm still trying to locally source the pink insulated foamboard to use as a platform as I've seen so many of you guys with. I had considered stilts but I did not want more than 12" of lift and definitely didn't want to worry about the added bulkiness due to my feet. I was toying with an idea to make it like a platform boot, then I get on here and see you guys had already found a good solution to that.

I've already got a few toes in clay but I don't want to get too heavy into the foot mold until after I get the platforms built.

I purchased some Kanekalon hair over the weekend but not enough to do anything with the suit. I'm practicing blending the colors, blowdrying to straighten it out, and once I get my hands on some good mesh - I'll do a practice yard of latch hooking and layering.

ummm... oh yeah - did have one question... where do you find the sound board for chewie? I'd prefer to go au natural ... however my wookie roar sounds more like a cross between Tim the Toolman Taylor, Jeff Foxworthy, and a squirrel... yeah it's bad LOL. I'm too embarrassed by it to even practice by myself haha.

For casting - I'll be using monster makers for the supplies. Probably buy some of that stuff next week and see if I can't meet up with a few folks for my life casting not too long after that.

anyway - just wanted to touch base and say howdy hey!

edit: -forgot to ask for resources for the bandolier. I've only looked into the suit itself, not the bandolier :/
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would avoid the sound-board if you can. I know you say you can't do the voice, but the soundboard will sound very mechanical, almost tinny.

I have yeat to really hear a good soundboard that was worth its expense... I say keep practicing, you will eventually get it.

The other advice I would suggest is read up on: GotWookiee's Chewbacca Resource page

I would also spend a few minutes on the FAQ... that the group put together to help new wookiee costumers: Wookiee FAQ's

Hope that helped!

Bob Kohn
DCO
mrvoodoo (Jason Chrest)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

definitely been looking through the FAQs - very helpful.

My biggest headache at the moment is living in a little podunk town that's got no resources that come in handy at a time like this.

Also - think I did actually have a break through on my wookie roar - did a LOL type sound with the gargling and the O part sounds (to my ears hearing myself that is) about right - just got to get where I can drop the L type sound.
GotWookiee (Matt Pfingsten)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The secret to mastering the Wookiee roar is to practice while you watch the infamous Star Wars Holiday Special.

The Star Wars Holiday Special in it's entirety
mrvoodoo (Jason Chrest)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha - just watched that not long ago with the boys. Funniest part of the whole thing though is watching the OLD commercials.
forestmoonstudio

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GotWookiee wrote:
The secret to mastering the Wookiee roar is to practice while you watch the infamous Star Wars Holiday Special.

The Star Wars Holiday Special in it's entirety

Matt,

We are trying to get people to make Wookiees....not scare them away by making them watch the Holiday Special. Laughing

I still can not get through the whole thing. Razz
GotWookiee (Matt Pfingsten)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only made it through once myself. It's dire, but still an easy way to master the Wookiee language; it's almost nothing but 2 hours of Wookiee chatter.
mrvoodoo (Jason Chrest)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Matt - plenty of resource material there ... but yeah unfortunately it's quite scary.

sad thing is I'd still rather sit through all of that than to sit through that horror flick Jack Frost... or some of these other krappy films. I've sat through the holiday special twice that I know of. Once as a kid and once with my kids.

**disregard lol**
forestmoonstudio

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try to do the Wookiee sounds but I still sound like Lumpy. Crying or Very sad

I use a sound machine. Just trying to get it to play through a better set of speakers.
Lumpy (Chris Blackstock)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

forestmoonstudio wrote:
I try to do the Wookiee sounds but I still sound like Lumpy. Crying or Very sad

Hey, Hey, HEY!!!! You've never even HEARD my Wookiee roar!! Wink Laughing

I suppose playing the HS with the sound off would make it easier to get through, but then it kind of defeats the purpose then, doesn't it. Wink

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen this set of mesh recommended:
http://www.collinscottage.com/utilitya.htm

but I'm curious if this set would also be suitable:
http://www.collinscottage.com/utility.htm

The second set of fabric is a slightly lighter fabric - with wider holes, would require a change of technique for latch hooking - the width might cause some slight issues, but not sure if the material would be durable enough.
forestmoonstudio

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the second one and wish I went with the first one.

The bigger holes leave to much gapping. ( hence...it takes more hair to cover the bigger holes.)

The more hair you put on it to cover the holes the more you have to groom out.
mrvoodoo (Jason Chrest)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and anyone have any issues (doubt it but still gotta ask) with the white showing through -- should it possibly be dyed black?
forestmoonstudio

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to wait till they get the black back in stock.
Lumpy (Chris Blackstock)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrvoodoo wrote:
and anyone have any issues (doubt it but still gotta ask) with the white showing through -- should it possibly be dyed black?

If it's not too long of a wait to get black, I'd wait.

I got white and tried to dye it black. It came out sort of gray.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: