About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=59ef2d7eb5360da601cd56112d68b527Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Here we go guys

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Fringe Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:52 am    Post subject: Here we go guys Reply with quote

Welcome aboard to the Docking Bay 94 command Staff.

I have decided per conversation with Wolfie to add the LCJ's for both Fringe and Wookiees to be on the DB-94 command staff. I figure with all that we do, we need to at all times consider how it effects the standards... thus work with the LCJ's.

So... moving foreword I will share with you what I want to do, and in return I would like to know what you think of my ideas... and also to hear your own input and ideas.

Conley being my XO already knows what I need from him, but to put in writing he is going to be my common sense when I get out of line, and to bring ideas to the table. Not to mention my back up on all matters.

The LCJ's Ryan and Marty, I have not had a chance to go over much with what I would like to see so allot of this is off the cuff and depends on your feelings to what I have planned moving forward. Feel free to comment on any part on how you feel, or if you are ok with taking on more duties, for some of what I plan may place more work to you guys... something I do not want to do unless you can handle it.

1. First and foremost I want to restructure the forums to help us... to help them:
Far to often we see the same questions over and over and its always from the new people... who simple cannot find the info strewed all over the mass of 7 pages which is the Fringe forums. To rectify this I plan on the following:

a. Place 2-3 sub-forums in the Fringe that would help organize this mess of info out there. I recommend the three forums being " Han and smugglers, Chewiee and wookiees, and weaponry and props". This should at least get some of the info into a place that will help new people out when they come to the Fringe. Tough part will be going into the forums and physically moving all the threads into the appropriate place. I am working with Wolfie on this right now.

2. Secondly I would like to build a substantial FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) section per major costume. This is something that amazes me we do not have right now in almost any of the costuming sections in the RL. I propose we build the most kick arse FAQ's the RL has seen, and show the rest of the detachments what they are meant to be doing.... not just patches and coins.

a. This will require us to go to the detachment and start up threads in both wookiee and Han alike and get the detachment involved. I want the detachment to tell us what they think are the most commonly asked questions... and then give us their answers. We then will compile the list into one major post in each of the respective sub-forums of Hand and Chewiee as a stickied FAQ's. This will help new costumer substantially I think.

3. I do not want to ignore Fringe bling, even though I think its something that can easily be overdone by detachments. So right now we are moments away from posting an interest thread as to what is going to be the new patch for DB-94. May be the old patch with just a new run, or the new patch without a round boarder. I am cool with either and have done a little about what it takes to get new patches done and on the way. Like I said in my Q and A as DCO... I am not a patch person, but I wont ignore it completely. I will do what I can.

4. I want to see an actual list of what is actually considered Fringe. I have a decent list already, but with all EU things.. the list is never ending. This is something that the LCJ's can help with. The reason I want this list is for a few reasons. First.... so people who are wanting to make a new costume know that we are the place to be to make certain Characters... there is a void of info of these areas on the forums. That is really why we are called the Fringe... because we are "Out There" if you know what I mean. The other reason is so we can provide Han like resources to all Fringe costumes.

a. So we need a list, then we can see what info is out there to fill the void of costuming info. This can be accomplished first by seeing if anyone has tried to make one of these costumes. If we find someone who has, we need to drive that person to "share his or her research". When we have this info we can upload it to the achieves and then to the forums. If we find that there are a ton of threads and info on a certain character we can always add another sub-forum to cover all that is related.

b. I will be changing the Han achieves a little to accommodate all new costuming photos and info so we can to breakdown like I did with Han. I have not decided how I want to handle passwords to that site, but for now I plan to be the only one who has access to this photobucket... simply because I use it for personal use as well. Once I get all my stuff off that site I will be turning the site over to the Fringe as the Fringe's Photobucket with passwords going to all on the command staff so additions can be made all around.

My goals may seem out there... and they may be. I do feel the detachments in the RL are way under used... something I plan to change. I want Docking Bay 94 to plow the way for the rest to follow. I hope you all are on board for this.

Take some time, go over your ideas and post them for the rest of us to think over, and let’s come up with a plan, assign the plan, and carry out the plan.

Bob Kohn
Nikkos Khann (Conley Nichols)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 3 (View more...)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am really liking the FAQ's section being added and I would also like to see a more solid section on tutorials.

Perhaps we could also have a specific area for resources listed in order of costume or something like that.

All in all a great direction for us to take.

'I've got a bad feeling about this!'
Docking Bay 94 Commanding Officer 2011-2014
Comlink Admin - Fringe LCJ,
Charter Committee
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Wolfie (Crystal Bass)
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got your subforums up. Also got your MOD status situated for the Fringe areas. You should be able to move anything you need to.
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Crystal... may take me a while but I will get it done.
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok,

So I was unable to sleep last night so I got a few more things done. I have updated the FAQ's and am hoping to wrap them up by the weeks end. I will then be releasing them to the Fringe area for all membership viewing.

I have also started a poll as to what the next patch will be. I did not see any interest for anything new as far as art went so I went with what was posted in the latest patch thread in the detachment. I believe it was a choice between 4 patches. That will be a 7 day poll, a which time we will have to decide a vendor and process to get this done and out of the way as soon as we can. I do not want to spend a bunch of time on this kind of stuff.

I also want to investigate the need of more resources and FAQ's... there are many more costumes out there other than Chewie and Han. I started with them because its the obvious choice. I do not want to alienate other costumes more than we have allready. So hopefully in the next few weeks we will start to see some of these Costume builds and tutorials come to the table... maybe at that time we can start thinking about building more FAQ's.

I have put in a request foran Archive forum... this would be a place where we can place old and no longer needed threads... helping us keep the boards clean and user friendly.

At some point Cobalt I am going to pick your mind on some of the off shoot costumes, and what is clasified as Fringe. I want to make a master list so people actually know what will pass as Fringe and RL, and what wont.

Thats it for now.

Bob Kohn
DCO
Nikkos Khann (Conley Nichols)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds great Bob. As for the patches,Joel is a great resource and if you want I can work with him on any merch items. Just let me know!

'I've got a bad feeling about this!'
Docking Bay 94 Commanding Officer 2011-2014
Comlink Admin - Fringe LCJ,
Charter Committee
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Cobalt60

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Lando needs the full overhaul. there's not enough info about his costumes and the standards are sketchy at best. I just judged a 'mirax' costume (which was incredibly well done, btw) but I know nothing of this character. I had to do some research just to see what she's supposed to look like. luckily, the costumer knew exactly what she was doing, so it was an easy approval.

there's also a category for creatures and droids. and another for rebel supporters. these two categories cover most of what I consider fringe.

even han and chewie could be squeezed into 'rebel supporters' (lando too) --
in a way I think the fringe category was created just for han and chewie. its only natural, that this is our focus Wink
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lando it is then, I know a few people in my base who have been doing some research on him. I will see what I can dig up.
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikkos Khann wrote:
That sounds great Bob. As for the patches,Joel is a great resource and if you want I can work with him on any merch items. Just let me know!

I am totally ok with that if you really want to take it on. Just let me know... I really do not want to hold this detachment back on merchandise if that is what it wants.

Right now we have an approved patch that is similar to the last run, but a better quality art from what I have been told.

Let me know if you want to run with it or not.

Bob
Cobalt60

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoloYT1300 wrote:
Lando it is then, I know a few people in my base who have been doing some research on him. I will see what I can dig up.

I have a lando in the judging cue. its the jabba's palace Lando-in-disguise. IMO the applican't outfit looks a little rough around the edges, but there are no standards for this (yet) so I'm not sure what I'm looking for.

did you manage to dig anything up, lando-related? thx
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything I have on Lando is here:

http://s590.photobucket.com/albums/ss350/SoloYT1300/Fringe/Lando%20Calrissian/

Tomorrow, I will try and did up a bit more.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Fringe Archive All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: