About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=de6c48c93fdd3e9694b4e5d38bf1522fMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Senator Chuchi: A WIP
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Clones of the Republic -> Expanded Universe
View previous topic :: View next topic  
miralys51 (Jackie)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:19 pm    Post subject: Senator Chuchi: A WIP Reply with quote

I decided to make this my build thread rather than spamming the place up with a million posts. I am working on Senator Chuchi from the episode "Sphere of Influence." It's still in the early stages, but I am eager to post what I have.

Here is the character:

I have decided on a cotton twill fabric. I have worked up sketches of the details on her skirt.

I was going to do this as embroidery, but now I am wondering if fabric etching is a possibility. Any thoughts from the Royalty and Senators who have much more experience at this from me?
Mieal Deneb (Rachel Orange)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not an expert on fabric etching, but I thought it had to be on velvet? If you're going to use cotton twill, I don't think that will work.

JaclynGFC (Jaclyn Duhe)
Active Legion Member

Hurricane Sandy Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

never done it myself, but I would imagine that it would have to be done on velvet or something velvet like. My understanding of fabric etching is that it removes some of the fibers. Because of the way velvet is made etching is possible without damaging the strength of fabric itself. I think if it was tried on a cotton weave it would do irreparable harm to the fabric's integrity.
miralys51 (Jackie)
Active Legion Member

CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that confirms what I thought. Just had to put it out there for the opinion of those more experienced than I. I think embroidery will look nicer anyway. Looking at the costumes for other Pantorans, it does look like they rely more on embroidery than etching.

This is my "remind-me-why-I'm-doing-this" costume, due to its complexity. Every costumer needs one Smile

Next up is research on the hair piece. I'll update again when I reach some sort of progress on that.
Leia (Vera Campbell)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fiber etch dissolves plant fibers, so you could use a cotton/poly, silk/linen, or silk/rayon blends. Another technique you could use is using a color remover discharge paste with silk screening (if you really want to get ambitious). It will take out most of the color on a dark fabric like this red, and you can paint in the lighter color you want. Good luck, can't wait to see progress!

rebelshaven.blogspot.com
verdaera.deviantart.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
JaclynGFC (Jaclyn Duhe)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the color remover via silk screening sounds like a really interesting idea. Would definitely be more of a head turner than plain ol' embroidery. And thanks for the info on the fiber etch. Its always fun to learn something new!

best of luck on the project and I also am looking forward to seeing this progress.
miralys51 (Jackie)
Active Legion Member

CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooh, I really like the idea of the discharge paste. Thanks for the idea, Vera, I will definitely be giving that a try, even if it's just to learn something new. I'll post up the results once I am done.

My boots just recently came in. Here are my boots and a screen cap of Chuchi's boots. I have to work on the greaves, but I am happy with the similarity between the two in their basic form.

Daritha (Christian)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good find. I'm looking forward to see your costume progress!

GBY | Temple Assistant Master
KJO | Member

Join the KJO - Form a Temple - Have fun!
miralys51 (Jackie)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An update of sorts. I outsourced the metal bits on the costume and I am very excited with the progress!

I ordered the discharge paste supplies and already have the gold paint and cotton twill. I am hoping to begin testing the technique in the next week or so.

Having exhausted all local options, I will have to order the beads online. Just haven't found the right ones yet. The round discs are easy to find but those clear diamonds are difficult.

I did a mockup of the head piece using clay, but it was way too heavy. The weight of it pulled my wig right off. Regrouping now and considering sintra or something similar. This is really not a strong point for me, so the head piece will likely be the most challenging component.

Here is a photo of the metal bits.

Mieal Deneb (Rachel Orange)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen some great head gear made from craft foam. If done right, and painted well, you can't tell it's craft foam at all. That might work for the head piece...?

miralys51 (Jackie)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craft foam is a great idea. I did not think of that. It would really help keep the weight down too, since the total area covers almost all of her head.
JaclynGFC (Jaclyn Duhe)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love craft foam. Just make sure you seal it well with a glue/water mixture before painting it. You can heat it and shape it but be careful to not over heat it or it will bubble. Also try to get a color as close to the final product as you can. Therefore if it cracks the foam color isn't too obvious. Once sealed, you can paint it, use rub n buff, pretty much anything you want. It does have some flexibility to it, but you do want to shape it the best you can ahead of time.

I just made some shoulder armor out of craft foam for my green Mara Jade (going on the cheap and I had the material already), and was told they don't look like craft foam even from 3 ft away. So the material is wonderful if you treat it right.
RebelSenator (Raychel Enck)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like Vera's idea on using a color remover via silk screening. I'm interested in hearing how that goes.

For the headpiece, I can tell you that sintra is easy to work with. I made the plates for my slave leia out of it and didn't have much trouble with it at all. I'm making a scarlet witch headpiece out of it now. I make a mock up out of a brown paper grocery bag. Then, when I have it the way I want, I trace it onto the sintra. Then, cut the shape out using a dremel. I use a heat gun to mold it to the form I want. I've even heard of people using a yard sale sign instead of sintra if they don't have sintra or want a really, really cheap route.

Whatever you decide to use, good luck!!
MidSouth Garrison, Public Relations Officer
http://www.facebook.com/LCJedi
RebelSenator (Raychel Enck)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone sent me this link when I was looking into making something out of craft foam. Might be helpful.

http://www.entropyhouse.com/penwiper/costumes/helmsdeep.html
MidSouth Garrison, Public Relations Officer
http://www.facebook.com/LCJedi
JaclynGFC (Jaclyn Duhe)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a great site, and where I learned how to make craft foam pieces. Here's a pic of my shoulder armor as an additional example.

It's designed to be more of a leather look than metallic, like the armor on the site. I don't have pics of the metallic pieces I've made yet. Just so you can see the variety you can do with craft foam.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Clones of the Republic -> Expanded Universe All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: