Forum and Costume Controls

   FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=ed85b3d1da21efae93ee6429eaac2865Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

       
REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Chewie III
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Dougie Fett ()



Joined: 25 Nov 2009
Posts: 243

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:47 am    Post subject: Chewie III Reply with quote

Yes, I'm at it again and this time I will be holding on to this one for dear life!! Although there will be other commissions.

The top completely finished!
The hair is latched in at 8" and is a combo of #27 strawberry blonde, #8 light brown for the brown areas, #44 grey mix and #4 dark brown for the grey areas.
Bandolier sourced from Mel Mattson!

Mask is a fibreglass underskull with a silicone face customised to fit me perfectly.



Slightly new approach to the trousers!
They are about the same length as cargo pants (about knee length). The calf sections will be permanently attached to the lifts.
It will save me having to pull the calf sections down over the lifts everytime. I could never quite get the hair to sit right after doing that!!!!!



Foam latex fingers attached to a spandex glove.
Sourced from www.morphstore.com (Andy Wright).
The next step will be to coat them in liquid latex on the palms and back of the hand, paint with black pax paint and then punch hair.


_________________
www.facebook.com/WookieeBuilders
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dougie Fett ()



Joined: 25 Nov 2009
Posts: 243

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would highly recommend those gloves, u can literally pick up a pin with them, the dexterity is great.
_________________
www.facebook.com/WookieeBuilders
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Greywolf (Julie Yakes)
Active Legion Member


Joined: 26 Oct 2008
Posts: 702
Location: Colorado
Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great! And thanks for the tip on those gloves. They look great, and knowing that you can actually use them effectively is really wonderful.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dougie Fett ()



Joined: 25 Nov 2009
Posts: 243

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greywolf wrote:
Looks great! And thanks for the tip on those gloves. They look great, and knowing that you can actually use them effectively is really wonderful.


Probably should have mentioned that they are $75 a pop, not cheap but well worth it when you consider how much work goes into casting those fingers individually. And they don't pucker like regular latex or vinyl gloves.

In fact I just typed this reply wearing them with no mistakes!
_________________
www.facebook.com/WookieeBuilders
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TK-6162 (Mark Williams)



Joined: 15 Aug 2010
Posts: 69
Location: Bloodfin Garrison/Mos Espa Base
Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:57 am    Post subject: Re: Chewie III Reply with quote

Dougie Fett wrote:

Foam latex fingers attached to a spandex glove.
Sourced from www.morphstore.com (Andy Wright).


Hey Doug, do you contact Andy Wright directly if interested in getting a set of hands produced? Reason being, I failed to find them anywhere on their site.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dougie Fett ()



Joined: 25 Nov 2009
Posts: 243

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Chewie III Reply with quote

TK-6162 wrote:
Dougie Fett wrote:

Foam latex fingers attached to a spandex glove.
Sourced from www.morphstore.com (Andy Wright).


Hey Doug, do you contact Andy Wright directly if interested in getting a set of hands produced? Reason being, I failed to find them anywhere on their site.


Sorry, should have said. Yes, send them an email!
_________________
www.facebook.com/WookieeBuilders
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TK-6162 (Mark Williams)



Joined: 15 Aug 2010
Posts: 69
Location: Bloodfin Garrison/Mos Espa Base
Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent, Thanks Doug.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
WookieDiego (Sam)



Joined: 14 Dec 2010
Posts: 78
Location: California
Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:29 am    Post subject: Re: Chewie III Reply with quote

Dougie Fett wrote:
Slightly new approach to the trousers!
They are about the same length as cargo pants (about knee length). The calf sections will be permanently attached to the lifts.
It will save me having to pull the calf sections down over the lifts everytime. I could never quite get the hair to sit right after doing that!!!!!


Everything looks amazing!

I have been considering building my pants similarly to the way you described. If you don't mind sharing it would be great to hear (or see) how you attached them to the stilts and how you made the transition.

Thank you for posting so much information and the photos.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dougie Fett ()



Joined: 25 Nov 2009
Posts: 243

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Chewie III Reply with quote

WookieDiego wrote:
Dougie Fett wrote:
Slightly new approach to the trousers!
They are about the same length as cargo pants (about knee length). The calf sections will be permanently attached to the lifts.
It will save me having to pull the calf sections down over the lifts everytime. I could never quite get the hair to sit right after doing that!!!!!


Everything looks amazing!

I have been considering building my pants similarly to the way you described. If you don't mind sharing it would be great to hear (or see) how you attached them to the stilts and how you made the transition.

Thank you for posting so much information and the photos.


Cheers Buddy,

I have posted some progress here, my photobucket account is giving me some trouble.

https://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=42773&id=127712713938579
_________________
www.facebook.com/WookieeBuilders
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
WookieDiego (Sam)



Joined: 14 Dec 2010
Posts: 78
Location: California
Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting the photos they were very helpful. Are you planning on joining the two pieces with some form of fastener or just letting them overlap?

Thanks again
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dougie Fett ()



Joined: 25 Nov 2009
Posts: 243

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Managed to sort out my photobucket account so here are 2 shots of the feet. Some people had asked me to describe the process.

The main part of the lift is a 5L plastic paint drum.
The instep is made from upholstery foam.
The toes are latex filled with polyfil foam.
The shin supports are made from 2 wooden dowels with upholstery foam to give it shape and stop the hair draping over my actual feet.
The soles were cut from an exercise mat.
Fibreglass was used to bind the wedge heel and the drum together.
The sandals are just screwed in place.
I used black duct tape to cover most of the drum and foam.
The last step is to lacquer the hair rigid with pro-hairspray (Schwarkopf).

They give me approx 12" of lift.
The wedge slims the calf down by 3" as opposed to my last lifts were my foot was straight.
The overall foot length is 16" and each lift weighs a little over 2kgs.
Not sure how that compares to plasterer stilts but I'd say it is a lot less.
I bought a pair of drywall stilts before and never considered using them.

To top it off I would say they are virtually indestructable.





_________________
www.facebook.com/WookieeBuilders
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TK-6162 (Mark Williams)



Joined: 15 Aug 2010
Posts: 69
Location: Bloodfin Garrison/Mos Espa Base
Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I LIKE IT!!!

With the main part of the lift being a 5L plastic paint drum. Curious as to what your shoe size is?
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dougie Fett ()



Joined: 25 Nov 2009
Posts: 243

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TK-6162 wrote:
I LIKE IT!!!

With the main part of the lift being a 5L plastic paint drum. Curious as to what your shoe size is?


Size 10 EU, have no idea what that is US but basically close to 12".
The wedge heel overhangs the drum by about an inch and a half, so I have it about half inch overhang at the front and an inch at the back.
_________________
www.facebook.com/WookieeBuilders
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TK-6162 (Mark Williams)



Joined: 15 Aug 2010
Posts: 69
Location: Bloodfin Garrison/Mos Espa Base
Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Doug, I think I can pull it off.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Feezle ()
Rebel Legion Reserve


Joined: 20 May 2002
Posts: 168

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do the shin supports strap to your legs? Are you able to bend at the knee at all? Any comfort or balance problems?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can post calendar events in this forum
The Rebel Legion is a worldwide Star Wars costuming organization comprised of and operated by Star Wars fans. While not sponsored by Lucasfilm Ltd., it is Lucasfilm's preferred volunteer Rebel costuming group. Star Wars, its characters, costumes, and all associated items are the intellectual property of Lucasfilm. © 2014 Lucasfilm Ltd. & ™ All rights reserved. Used under authorization.


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group