About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=76ef636b1677eaa0ac3a42be18fc6241Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

BOWCASTER TUTORIAL

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Fringe Tutorials
View previous topic :: View next topic  
forestmoonstudio

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:37 pm    Post subject: BOWCASTER TUTORIAL Reply with quote

OK.... I promised a tutorial. So here it is.

First off. I made a templete for the gun body and cut it out of Poplar wood. (that's what I had laying around my wood shop but pine will work just fine.) The gun body is 28'' long and 1-1/2'' thick.

Then you will need to drill holes for the opening in the stockss front and back. This allows you to cut out the opening with a jigsaw. Then sand and round off the main areas. (leave the top flat)

For the side panels I made a templete and cut the panels out of old aluminum signs.

For the dials. I used things that I could find that would look like them.

I cut the top off a contact lens solution bottle. Sanded it to the size that I wanted. The dial knob is a cigar tube cap.

The metal disks that look like Imperial disks are just three different sizes of washers that are glued together. (you will need to make 4)

The other big knob for the left side was made from a plastic hair spray bottle cut down and sanded to the size that I wanted. Then I used a toothpaste cap for the knob.

The smaller knob on the right side that is the tallest of the knobs is made from a mascara cap cut down and glue onto a regular clothes button.

The rest of the knobs are just regular buttons that I drilled the center out to fit the screw into them.

Last edited by forestmoonstudio on Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
forestmoonstudio

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:59 pm    Post subject: BOWCASTER TUTORIAL Reply with quote

Then I made a templete for the barrel rest and cut it from old sign aluminum. You will need to bend it on both sides so it is even with the top of the gun sto

The barrel is a 1/2'' aluminum tube that you can get from Lowes. Cut it to the lenghth that looks good to you.
I made a piece that folds over the barrel. That piece is 7'' long.
Then a flat piece of aluminum goes on top of it. That is what the scope mounts to.
I used 3 long screws and screwed the barrel mount,barrel and scope base all together down into the top of the stock.
The 3 screws that you see on the side of the barrel are just decrotive greebles.

The trigger is made from thick aluminum and sanded to the right shape.

Use a drill and hollow out a space for the trigger to fit into the stock.

I drilled through one side of the stock and through the trigger back into the stock. (DON'T DRILL ALL THE WAY THROUGH THE GUN)

Then glue 2 pins into the stock and trigger. (cut coat hanger will work great) This is so the trigger is static and solid. you can pull back on it but it won't move.

The caps that sit above the trigger were from a diabetic test strips container. The cap is glued onto the side of the gun and covers over where you will drill for the pins for the trigger.

Last edited by forestmoonstudio on Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
forestmoonstudio

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:24 am    Post subject: BOWCASTER TUTORIAL Reply with quote

The bow limbs are cut from sign aluminum.

You will need to notch the front of the gun so the bow limb will sit flush with the face of the gun.

Then bracket that holds the barrel rest will go on top of the bow limb and the barrel rest will fit inside of the bracket.

The barrel rest is made from pine and the I covered it with sign aluminum to give it strength and a metal look.

The barrel site is made from pine and covered with aluminum also. I used one long piece to wrap around the sides and come up to form the site.

Last edited by forestmoonstudio on Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
forestmoonstudio

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:35 am    Post subject: BOWCASTER TUTORIAL Reply with quote

The 2 side scopes are Tasco 3x7x20mm rimfire. I got them at Walmart.

The center scope is a cheap 4x32mm that I cut the front end off of.

The site is a pop rivet that is painted orange and glued into the cut end.

The cap is from a cleaning bottle that is the same diameter as the scope. I just glue that onto the front.

This is the closest that you can come to a real single point scope.

Here they are together. I made small brackets that fit onto the sides of the center scope so the side scopes can mount to the center scope.

Last edited by forestmoonstudio on Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
forestmoonstudio

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:53 am    Post subject: BOWCASTER TUTORIAL Reply with quote

Get some rachet balls for the ends of the bow. Cut a small slit in them and slide them on the ends.

Prime and paint the gun. (WITHOUT THE SCOPES ON IT)

Also paint the rachet balls seperate.

The string is waxed necklace string from Micheals tied onto the ends of the bow. (WHEN CUTTING THE BOW OUT MAKE SMALL NOTCHES ON EACH END) The string will stay in place that way.

The sling strap is a Army webbed gun sling. They were used on the duffel bags also. You can find them on EBAY.

I attached D-rings onto the butt and front of the gun. The sling has clips that clip onto the D-rings.

I used old phone cord for the electro cords. One end is attached to a head phone plug.
Drill a hole in the dial plate and glue the plug in place. The plug was drilled out enough for the cord to fit into the end. Then I drilled into the side of the plug and screwed the cord into place.

The other ends of the cord are just glued into drilled holes into the gun.

Last edited by forestmoonstudio on Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
forestmoonstudio

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:58 am    Post subject: BOWCASTER TUTORIAL Reply with quote

I hope this helps. Give it a try. Put your own twist on it. Use your imagination.

mindtrick You can make this Bowcaster.
WookieDiego (Sam)

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing!

Thank you for posting this great tutorial. I look forward to trying it out.
jedimika ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad you took such great pics during the build! This is a great tutorial!
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work!

Can we get this stickied into the tutorial section... please.

Bob
Zaxmon (Ryan Ricks)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome. Looks almost exactly like mine: http://chewiechanga.blogspot.com/2010/08/first-step-bowcaster.html
Vincewookie ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice !! Great work!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Fringe Tutorials All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: