About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=f075bec7f64a53958d2c63b32c52755eMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

dead resource links
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gunslingerpadme ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:13 am    Post subject: dead resource links Reply with quote

I was re-checking the links under the costume standards for Padme Amidala, and much of them reference Angels of Iego website. This link is dead, and even though I'm new to these boards, I find that having new members looking for the newest reference images being linked to sites that no longer exist or that are going through an overhaul that are making them nonextensible is discouraging. I'm not quite sure who I should address this post to, so I put it here. Please correct me if it should be put elsewhere.

~Laura Neutral
Princess Sandy ()
Legion XO
Legion XO

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:32 am    Post subject: well Reply with quote

ive honestly never been able to get that site to work either, lol.
www.facebook.com/PrincessSandy41280
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
gunslingerpadme ()

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just think that if new members are going to be looking for information to get their costumes up to standard, there should be links that, you know.... work. Very Happy
Princess Sandy ()
Legion XO
Legion XO

Medals: 2 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:54 am    Post subject: :) Reply with quote

i agree with you Smile

Perhaps we can get that taken care of soon!
www.facebook.com/PrincessSandy41280
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
gunslingerpadme ()

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems like you've been on the forum longer than I have... do you know of anyone I could contact to fix that?
Mieal Deneb (Rachel Orange)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll get on that. It seems recently the AOI site has stopped being hosted. I'll ask the LMO to remove the links. Thanks for bringing that up.

Wolfie (Crystal Bass)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We do what we can to keep them up to date, but outside links go dead all the time, we will remove them as quickly as we can when we are made aware of the problem.

Its just a courtesy that we try to point people in the direction of other forums and places they can get extra help. Core information is still available for standards on this forum.

Its a big reason I'd like to see PHOTOS in our standards but previous LMO shot that request down. So we dont have to refer people to pictures elsewhere, we'd have them in our own standards...

If you check the Tutorials forum, I have pretty recently checked the links there, they were all working as of a week ago if any of those would be helpful to you... You are also welcome to create your own thread requesting any photos or resources you need help with! Smile
Queen Amidala (Mary Alice Ladd)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolfie wrote:
....Its a big reason I'd like to see PHOTOS in our standards but previous LMO shot that request down. So we dont have to refer people to pictures elsewhere, we'd have them in our own standards...

Having non LFL photos for all the costumes is a daunting task. The 501st is just starting to rolling out their costume standards with photos http://www.501st.com/crl/index.php (you have to scroll a bit to see any costumes with links)

It is a good long term goal, but requires a whole heck of a lot of work making sure the photos all conform to a standard, selecting best photo for a non masked costume, dealing with bruised egos if member thinks they are the definitive {insert face costume name here} and they get passed over for the photo pick, etc, etc.
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Queen Amidala wrote:
Wolfie wrote:
....Its a big reason I'd like to see PHOTOS in our standards but previous LMO shot that request down. So we dont have to refer people to pictures elsewhere, we'd have them in our own standards...

Having non LFL photos for all the costumes is a daunting task. The 501st is just starting to rolling out their costume standards with photos http://www.501st.com/crl/index.php (you have to scroll a bit to see any costumes with links)

It is a good long term goal, but requires a whole heck of a lot of work making sure the photos all conform to a standard, selecting best photo for a non masked costume, dealing with bruised egos if member thinks they are the definitive {insert face costume name here} and they get passed over for the photo pick, etc, etc.

Very true. And understandable. I still like the CRL idea, but I know how hard it is. I'm XO of BHG and we've got none of the CRLs up on the main site yet. I got plenty of photos and our way of handling bruised egos was using a different person for various parts... so many people were part of the CRL who volunteered.

but the BHG is so darn inactive, even the DL so we just keep slacking on it. I could only imagine a WHOLE club starting it. But I know we could do it for pilots in a snap.

Just something I WISH we could do!
gunslingerpadme ()

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as this costume goes, I'm completely set on info, I was looking for the latest in images, since flickr is hard to find the most up to date. I only brought it up because I thought that newer members not knowing a lot about the costume would find that an issue, finding an entire section with dead links, and I wanted to bring it to someone's attention. I think you guys do great work over here, and it was no comment on that said work, just for clarification for why I posted.

And I understand wanted to post to post a picture for each costume. There are just... so.... many!

And Padawansguide is a word beyond amazing point of reference for costumes- Maggie deserves an Oscar for the work she does!
Mieal Deneb (Rachel Orange)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if we have a picture of a costume in the standards, it should be a picture of the original costume. Why choose a reproduction when you can put a pic of the real deal there?

darthrevan (Ally Bock)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gunslingerpadme wrote:
And Padawansguide is a word beyond amazing point of reference for costumes- Maggie deserves an Oscar for the work she does!

I totally agree. That is my favorite site to go to when doing research for Padme costumes.

Mieal Deneb wrote:
I think if we have a picture of a costume in the standards, it should be a picture of the original costume. Why choose a reproduction when you can put a pic of the real deal there?

I agree with this. This way you guys won't have to worry about checking pictures to make sure that they are up to standards, and no one's feelings are hurt.
Jeremiah 29:11
Princess Dee ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 6 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There have been a fair number of costumes on exhibit, in different places over the years, and there are a lot of good personal photos of the exhibits out there. Couldn't those be used first? Then, perhaps use scans from a book, then, if there is nothing else, use a LFL pic.

Personally, I would just like to see one, head-to-toe image put with the standard, just to know exactly which costume that is. The names can be really confusing, and some have different versions to them.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mieal Deneb wrote:

I like this logic.

"Everytime you're not canon, a fairy dies." - Mike
Aysel ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miana wrote:
Mieal Deneb wrote:

I like this logic.

I second this like, and as someone else pointed out it would help with some of the costumes that have confusing names

501st Flagship Eclipse Costume Mentor
Kashyyyk Base Commanding Officer 2012/2013
Kashyyyk Base Membership Officer 2013/2014
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: