About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=1424ee6d74954b7daa91357bfe3c5a12Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

CW3 Obi-Wan Kenobi: Advice Needed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Obi-Wan Kenobi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rorrlancca ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 11:32 pm    Post subject: CW3 Obi-Wan Kenobi: Advice Needed Reply with quote

Hi all -

I am nearing completion on the Clone Wars Season 3 version of Obi-Wan that I've been working on. The only things left are the back belt pouch (which is cut out of leather and waiting to be dyed and assembled) and the boots. The boots I'm wearing won't pass muster since they lack spats and they have a zipper on the side. I have ROTS boots from Master Replicas on backorder (and they have been since January); I may also just commission some from JDos.

My dilemma is this: Is this costume good enough to be worth spending $350 more on boots? Does the fake beard look too cheesy? Is it likely to pass as formal, assuming I add the back pouch and boots? Believe me when I say that I wouldn't be offended in the slightest to be told that it looks amateurish and really shouldn't be seen in public! Smile I guess the bottom line is this: Would a kid be in thrilled to meet this Obi-Wan?

Many thanks for honest evaluations -- believe me, I can take it; I'd rather get the word -before- I splurge on boots and not after!

Rorr/Drey

Reference Photo:

Comparison Photo:

Four-Views:

Last edited by Rorrlancca () on Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dacen Salu

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is this costume good enough to be worth spending $350 more on boots?

yes, very much so, especially if you get them from Daniel they are worth
every cent, you won't regret it

as to the beard being cheesy, maybe if you shape it as it were to look
more natural instead of like the cartoon it might be better, the kids will
only see the costume and recognize you as General Kenobi...other than
that, it doesn't look too bad from what i am seeing....good luck on this
and post some more pics when you can

The Force fights WITH me!!!
Granny-Wan (Marie Cannon)
Mos Eisley Base XO
Mos Eisley Base  XO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks really good, and recognizable as Obi-Wan.

You might want to slim down the sleeves of the tunic some so they don't bunch up so much around the armor.

Very Happy
Drazhar ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be blunt

The judges for costumes are harder on us than the public will EVER be.

Kids will love you as Obi-Wan.

Our judges are just hard on us to make sure we're the best WE can be.
Koda Vonnor (BillCostigan)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pouches and boots to match the belt color, and a lighter brown under tunic and you've got a perfect match.

Love the beard btw. Very Happy

~ Vonnor
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First let me say that you chose wisely on the color choice for your beard. People sometimes make mistakes when it comes to false beards or wigs, trying too much to get the character color and not match it to their hair.

I think it needs to be styled. I can see a seperation where the sideburns should meet, and the bottom is very pointy. That is the only thing that makes it looks like you stuck it on your face.

On the topic of the forearm armor, I love the color of the Jedi symbol, and that you remembered to attach a Jedi communicator( I have to make one:()
I think you should weather them a bit tho. There is a gloss finish to them that could be taken down a bit. And I love weathering things:)

Like he said, the judges are hard on us because they have to be. With everything we go through there's nothing I'd like more than to punch the jerks that tells us at events that we don't look right. But then again that's against the charter:D
skoe (Eric Skoglund)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it looks great, but two things you could improve:

1. Style the beard a little, it could look better if you do so.

2. Darken a little bit the color of your belt.

Nice job man!!! Wink

Ky-Wan Zann ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice stuff

'Just because I don't like to fight. Doesn't mean I can't'

'They can be a great people Kal-El they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way'

'JASON' Detachment
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Drazhar ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only one nit pick, the beard looks lopsided here, can you even it out?
skoe (Eric Skoglund)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drey I have a question, how's the shape of the neck in your inner tunic???

Rorrlancca ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skoe wrote:
Drey I have a question, how's the shape of the neck in your inner tunic???

Skoe -

The inner tunic is designed just like the outer tunic (it's a full shirt, not a dickey) -- the left half crosses over the right half. The only real differences are that it doesn't have a lower skirt and I changed the angle of the cross-over so that the two halves cross just below the throat. There is a 1" band that forms the collar and extends down each half of the tunic. Here's a close-up of the neckline, but I wasn't able to get the lighting so that you can see the two pieces. I've marked where the left half crosses the right half with a white line:

Does that help?

In other news, I just finished making the pouches this morning. The ones in the original picture were ROTS pouches, so weren't quite the right shape on the front flap. I also made the larger back pouch (which is a darker color than the two waist pouches). All three are fully functional with magnetic closures. This was my first attempt at leatherworking (other than the belt, which was trivial), so I'm pleased with how they turned out.

All that's left now is to make another attempt at a beard and to get some boots!

Regards,
Rorr/Drey

Last edited by Rorrlancca () on Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
skoe (Eric Skoglund)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright with the neck Drew, it's just that in the picts look so dark that I thought it was a rounded neck, but if it is crossed and with the 3 stripes its alright. Wink

Pyr Landis (Chris Roberts)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overall very nice, and the kids will love it.

How did you make your belt buckle? I'm working on a TCW Plo and the cartoon belts are a little different, so I was considering making the leather belt more movie style, but advice from other TCW versions might help.
Rorrlancca ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pyr Landis wrote:

How did you make your belt buckle?

Silversmithing is one of my hobbies, so I've always got sheets of copper and silver laying around. I created the buckle in Adobe Illustrator using dimensions taken from screencaps from TCW. I then taped the pattern to a sheet of copper and cut it with a jeweler's saw (note: a hacksaw won't have fine enough teeth). I used a nickel-plating spray paint that I got from Lowes. I thought about just doing it in real silver, but silver tarnishes so easily, I decided it was too much trouble. The nickel plating is extremely reflective, so it does the job. The buckle is just attached to the small belt with contact cement.

TTYL..
Rorr/Drey
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Obi-Wan Kenobi All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: