About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=23c5ff25e918fba121c62566cdd36dfaMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Han Solo Detailed Breakdown of Shirts... pic heavy
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Fringe Tutorials
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Hurricane Sandy Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:23 pm    Post subject: Han Solo Detailed Breakdown of Shirts... pic heavy Reply with quote

Han Solo Shirt Breakdown

This is a detailed breakdown of Han Solo's shirts throughout the three movies. This breakdown is for those people who want that extra bit of information or detail that is not needed for standards, more for personal goals. This is meant by any means to upset anyone, more to offer another level for those who want to. I have spent a bit of time on this so I hope you enjoy!

ANH

Shows wrinkles in the fabric leading me to think whatever it is … must be a natural fabric.. cotton, linen or even a raw type of silk. Remember this should be an off white/cream colored shirt... not white. ANH stands out as a cream, unlike the other shirts in the other movies... which tend to come off pretty white. ROTJ tends to look a little off at times as well... not as obvious as ANH though

The ANH shirt has a hemmed cuff, not an attached cuff...like the shirt in ROTJ

This shows the inner collar rather well I think.

One of those pictures that shows the hem well, and the kind of fabric too.

Shows the middle stitch rather well

Shows the wrinkles really well... again leading to a natural fabric that clings to the body causing wrinkles… and shows the middle stitch as well.

Lots of investigation of the ceremonial shirt is needed for its not the same as the other ANH shirt. It shares some of the Characteristics of ROTJ and ESB… could be the same shirt that Lando is wearing in the falcon in ROTJ… need more proof of that though.

Notice the collar…

Again, looks like the ESB pattern, with a closed concept here for the ceremony shots… stitching across the belly leads me to this.

You can clearly see the stitching across the belly there to verify the flap system that is also used in ESB

Need to find a better shot of this, this would seal the deal on this shirt I think

ESB

Not to be uber picky, but even though there is a slight difference between ESB and ROTJ I may cross reference photos to prove out points if needed… however they are different in the fact that Harrison did put on weight and needed pretty much a complete new wardrobe for ROTJ… including holsters.Shows the shirt in good detail, shows flap, and due to action also identifies tucks in the lower part of flap to prevent shirt from opening.

This picture really shows the stitching across the bottom well, and how it prevents the flaps from opening. The flaps themselves also give hint to the multiple layers envolved.

One of my favorite pics of this shirt… showing the belly stitch clearly

This picture at first shows little importance other than proves that Harrison is forced to wear a tank top due to the fact that the sheerness of the fabric. This leads to the multiple layers thickness in other pictures.

This picture kind of says it all, it shows how the shirt is a complete flap system. It also shows how the fabric itself is clearly stitched down in areas to prevent opening. With Hans arms opened like this without key stitching the flaps would open.

This picture really shows how the shirt is very much built in the idea of the old west, or modern chef shirts. The light really makes it hard to dispute these flaps.

This is probably the best picture that shows all the layers that are used in the flaps… when fully closed the front of the vest is 4 layers of fabric. Which is why it remains so white thru-out the movie, and no skin tones penetrate the front of the shirt… unlike the back.

One of very few pictures that shows Hans left side open to view the shirt in detail. In this picture you can see the silhouette of his flap system, showing that it’s at least two layers thick. Combines with the other flap side… a total of 4 layers of fabric for the entire flap system. This appears to also be top stitched.

ROTJ

ROTJ is a bit easier to get the footage info necessary, because his jacket has been off for more of the film and in better lighting. I do believe because of his size in ROTJ these are not the exact same shirts used in ESB so should be looked at accordingly, however its easy to speculate that the details from the costuming department kept them relatively close.

This picture shows that the costume department was messing around, they stitched down his vest in what looks to be 4 inch intervals or so on the open side of the flap, and like ESB they have stitched the flap system closed via top stitch across the belly to the other side. You can also see the top stitching on the left side that mirrors the open flap… thus giving us at least 4 layers of fabric… just like ESB shirt.

If this shirt is not cotton I am not sure what it is…lol

This is a great shot again showing the top stitch of the shirt on the open flap side…. This detail is missed on most Han costumers.

This cut scene really shows how they tacked down the flap… and due to Harrison’s posture its pulling in such a way you can visually see this.

Here is a great picture that shows Hans Cuffs. It looks to be about the same size cuff of any dress shirt. This is important to point out because its not the same shirt as ESB which has a short hem cuff… maybe an inch, or when he comes out of carbonite at Jabba’s palace. This shirt bellow has a real cuff around 3 inches

Here is Han with Leia at Jabba’s palace with a hemmed cuff shirt… hmmm. Guess he cleaned up at some point…lol. With this pic its obvious that they went with an ESB style shirt for up too but not beyond Jabba's palace. Afterwards they went with a different shirt verified with pics of having an actual cuff, not a rolled hem.

Well I you enjoyed the breakdown, and I hope it helped clear things up a little... Smile

Bob Kohn

Last edited by SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn) on Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:49 am; edited 2 times in total
Cap Fearce (Julian Krause)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great one! And right in time Smile Wanted to start sewing on Sunday Wink

Thanks for the work..
Cobalt60

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Han @ Sarlacc Pit also has the ESB-style cuffs on his shirt.
I notice it when he's shooting the tentacle attached to Lando's leg.
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would make sense... just did not grab one of them. Do you have any good pics that I dont have? If so let me know I can add them then.

Bob
STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB (JEFFREY BUHOLTZ)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So basically the ESB shirt is one layer, with four layers of flaps in front. With the Flap stitched down it is a pull over instead of it being able to be opened. OK, interesting. So are the flaps on the "Endor" shirt the same as the others? Layered like that? It always looked like a different flap design then the previous shirt. For some reason it always looked like the flap did not go over as far. Not all the way over. Whats the color? I can not tell. Sometimes it looks like a shade of grey.
Active Legion Member

Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, endor is the same way. I also agree that the ROTJ has a greyish tint to it.

These shirts by nature are not normally pull over shirts. However being that the csotuming departments probably got tired of keeping everything in place tacked all the flaps down. The belly stitch, and the few spots where the opening of the flaps meet the other side of the shirt. Its very similar to that of a chefs shirt as to how it would open otherwise... just remove the buttons, and hard tack it down with the belly stitch, thus making it a pull over shirt.

Hope that answers your question.

Bob
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I will retract my original comments; it looks like a completely different shirt as well. It would appear that there might be as many as 2 different shirts on Endor alone. I never spent a ton of time on Endor research so I guess I went along with assumptions. I am also not seeing any of the belly stitching going across his mid-section post Jabbas. That leads me to think it’s a completely different shirt. There is a noticeable difference in color post battle as well, which is why I think it may too be different. I will look into this more.
Thanks for bringing this up Jeffrey. I guess I should have referred to you for Endor, you seem to know more than I do…lol

Here is what I have come up with for Endor:

You can see the system of the shirt is the same as others, goes all the way down, and looks to be top stitched. I have yet to see a pic where it comes open. So instead of tacking it down in a few place, and doing the belly stitch, they did one top stitch all the way down... at least thats the way I see it. I also agree that the inner placket looks to be much shorter than the other shirts, which may be why I cannot find pictures of the other side stitch... probably because it wasnt needed.

Again, the shirt does not seem to open, leads me to believe its not tacked down, but top stitched, unlike the shirt in ESB or the one at Jabbas.

The shirt before the Battle has Cuffs…

Shirt looks much Whiter here. Maybe an after battle Shirt change?

Either way, I think I will need to do more investigation into this...

Good eye Jeffrey!

Bob Kohn
Blair (Vlastimil Sprta)
Lion Base CO
Lion Base CO

Medals: 4 (View more...)
Celebration Europe 2 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoloYT1300 wrote:
I think I will retract my original comments; it looks like a completely different shirt as well. It would appear that there might be as many as 2 different shirts on Endor alone. I never spent a ton of time on Endor research so I guess I went along with assumptions. I am also not seeing any of the belly stitching going across his mid-section post Jabbas. That leads me to think it’s a completely different shirt. There is a noticeable difference in color post battle as well, which is why I think it may too be different. I will look into this more.
Thanks for bringing this up Jeffrey. I guess I should have referred to you for Endor, you seem to know more than I do…lol

I think color of shirt depends on resource Smile ...

BUT I also think, that debate about Endor shirt will be break down after bluray will be released Smile

Lion Base Commanding Officer | Docking Bay 94 Detachment Executive Officer
STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB (JEFFREY BUHOLTZ)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah up above you stopped right before the shirt I was most interested in. Razz Very Happy I always thought of the Tat. shirt as the same as Bespin. Who Knew?

I had a feeling the Endor shirt was different. I always thought the Endor looked the same and did not go over as far. That is one reason why I need to have a new one made. Mine came from Corillian Exports and I always thought it looked off. I think they just used the same design from thier ESB Shirt.

I think in that one photo you can clearly see how the Endor Shirts flap is inline with the collar or maybe stops before it. Yes its a much shorter flap compared to previous shirts it seems.
Also I did not think the Endor shirt was as complicated with layers. I see how it is stitched up on the side though as you pointed out.

The whole Grey vs. Tan issue seems to happen a lot. I think its one of those film or lighting issues again. What about the material on this one? Any thoughts?

Yes the after battle shirt does look like a lighter almost white shade.

Good work. Great photos

Keep it up We'll figure it out. Very Happy
Active Legion Member

Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After watching the movie... again....lol. Both me and my wife agree that the shirt on endor after the destruction of the second death star... the shirt apears to be the same shirt used at Jabbas pallace (or ESB style) just it has been cleaned up. It is not the same shirt as post Jabbas, or during any of the bunker scenes. The key is the cuffs, the white shirt has no cuffs, just a rolled hem. The Endor shirt during the battle, and bunker shots... has an attached cuff... and the shirt is a bit greyish. The greyish shirt also has no belly stitch, unlike the white shirt... which does.

Bob
Blair (Vlastimil Sprta)
Lion Base CO
Lion Base CO

Celebration Europe 2 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello guys,
I did some "ceremonial shirt" research and I think, that ceremonial shirt it is same like Rebel Fleet Trooper shirt - but Han's version is "white" Smile

Check this (pictures are heavy):

SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah,

The key difference that seperates the ANH cerimonial from an ESB or ROTJ is the collar. The bib section is the same. I have never done research on the RFT's so I will have to take your word for the RFT reference.

Good reference work!

Bob
Blair (Vlastimil Sprta)
Lion Base CO
Lion Base CO

Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoloYT1300 wrote:
Yeah,

The key difference that seperates the ANH cerimonial from an ESB or ROTJ is the collar. The bib section is the same. I have never done research on the RFT's so I will have to take your word for the RFT reference.

Good reference work!

Bob

Exactly Smile ...

Photo of RFT shirt - this is original shirt, which was sold in auction ...

... and thank you very much! Smile

So ... do you think, that means, RL could have "another" Han Solo costume standards? Smile

SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always know of its differences, but tbh I never pushed for it in standards because I felt it would fall under the same issues things like blood stripes and other high end details. It would get called nit-picking and people would get upset.

I think its known that there is a difference, I am sure Cobalt knowns about it... maybe after the re-judging is done we can go over the standards again.

I am always nervous bringing in more info or details into the standards... usually ends up going the other way with me and my luck.

If your bored Blair and are looking to do some research I have a few projects you might want to work on... again... may not make many happy, but... *shrug*.

You can always look into the detailed stitching on the ESB jacket. Many do not know it, but there are a few rows of detailed stitching on both arms matching each other... above and below the pocket on the left arm, and matching on the right arm. There is also detailed row stitching on the cuffs.

When Blue ray comes out, there are going to be a ton of jaw dropping photos that will make some cry... and head back to the drawong board.

Good thing I like what I do I guess...

Bob
Blair (Vlastimil Sprta)
Lion Base CO
Lion Base CO

Boston Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoloYT1300 wrote:
I have always know of its differences, but tbh I never pushed for it in standards because I felt it would fall under the same issues things like blood stripes and other high end details. It would get called nit-picking and people would get upset.

I think its known that there is a difference, I am sure Cobalt knowns about it... maybe after the re-judging is done we can go over the standards again.

I am always nervous bringing in more info or details into the standards... usually ends up going the other way with me and my luck.

I think, this is something different - I think people are upset when some standards are making harder and harder ... in this case, it could be set up fresh new costume standards for Han Solo ANH Ceremonial costume Smile - and I am also curious why we don't have them yet (if we have Post-trash Compactor version) Very Happy

SoloYT1300 wrote:
If your bored Blair and are looking to do some research I have a few projects you might want to work on... again... may not make many happy, but... *shrug*.

I am not bored ... BUT, send me PM please Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Fringe Tutorials All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: