Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=c388d81f78c5cf7d67df92321771a1fdMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

The Force Unleashed Shaak Ti :)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Other Named Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bodhi ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome all around!
neimhaille ()
Naboo Outpost CO
Naboo Outpost CO

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both Smile

The sabre was built to be able to stand up to a convention and have it okay to pass on to children (and I have to say kids loooved being able to mock battle for photos, even when they had rules to follow so they wouldn't actually hit anyone Wink ).

The blade is 20mm acrylic 6mm thick and about 80cm long, basically so I can fit it diagonally in my suitcase.
The end is laminated plastic from a toy as I forgot to pick up the scrap acrylic I was offered to cut to shape and sand.
There is a small piece of silver mylar at the end to reflect back the light from the hilt.
The colour and diffuser is good old cellophane. Clear and coloured. less coloured as it winds up blocking out too much light.
But the colour means you still have colour even when the battery runs out... which is only about an hour.

The hilt is pvc pipe and fittings and some findings Smile The pommel is a baby bottle lid Wink I will be casting that at a later date, but having the ability to unscrew it to take out the light is good Wink

The light is actually a very high power torch. This was a rush build and I was not even going to make the blade let alone light it up until a week before Wink So no time to order overseas and my only local suppliers do not stock drivers for leds that had the specs I needed and fit in the hilt. I did manage to reuse the wiring I did in the short sabre for my sith.

So I will be buying a few bits and pieces online Smile

I claim my blade tip, and pipe build as my own ideas (well the specifics, I know pvc pipe I not a new idea!) but the rest were from the two main sabre building forums. I love when people are able to give descriptions on what the various licensed models are made from and alternatives you can use Smile

I almost used the EL wire hilt build but my EL wire is really quite underwhelming. And daisy-chaining small LEDs up the blade would have been fun but it is fragile.

My head piece has found a new home and current weather is not condusive to casting so it may be a while before I have more progress updates Smile I will need to redo my new belt to allow me to put it on and off with a clasp.
I do though have a lovely big bottle of 5L of latex to colour up and set aside for Asari blue and Togruta white Wink
Cam R'Mala (Lamar)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloody brilliant! Cool Thanks for the info! Mr. Green I may incorporate some of your ideas here for a pair of sabers that I need to make for my son's A'Sharad Hett costume that I'm currently working on to go along with my Sharad Hett (a definite work-in-progress, indeed!) Wink

neimhaille wrote:
...but the rest were from the two main sabre building forums.
Query: Might I ask which sites? I'm rather new to all these "Jedi ways"... Smile
neimhaille ()
Naboo Outpost CO
Naboo Outpost CO

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just killed my net book Wink No really I am about to ring support staff and am getting ready to send it in for repairs.. sigh. It had my bookmarks on it...

Pretty sure it was the Custom Saber Shop and I really cannot recall the other sorry Sad

Meanwhile:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9A9C1S1QCGU
Looks like they are using the Clone Wars comic story to get more Togruta into the show. What is nice is that there are different colours and tattoo markings. Pretty much like we saw in The Old Republic early game trailers Smile And as icons for the forum.

So this means I am going to go crazy plotting ideas on all the ways I can wear my headpiece Wink
Cam R'Mala (Lamar)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neimhaille wrote:
Pretty sure it was the Custom Saber Shop and I really cannot recall the other sorry Sad

Thanks. And no problem! Maybe I can poke around there and see what's what... Smile

neimhaille wrote:
... more Togruta into the show. What is nice is that there are different colours and tattoo markings. ... So this means I am going to go crazy plotting ideas on all the ways I can wear my headpiece Wink

I thought that they looked pretty awesome. It's just too bad there are no male Togruta with long beards... like mine! Wink Good luck with whatever you come up with! If it's anything like your Shaak Ti, I'm sure it'll be great...
neimhaille ()
Naboo Outpost CO
Naboo Outpost CO

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the story arc is finally screening, not here in NZ but yay internet and spoilers and reviews Wink

they are colonists so may not reflect full Togruta culture which helps me reconcile a few inconsistancies with EU Wink

Anyway. Now that I am working on the movie version of Shaak Ti I have also got some new progress for TFU version.

I was happy with the shape of the new fabric piece but I was not going to be able to remove the darker dye to get the colour to where I wanted it.

I'm also torn. The game version is clearly a very pale tan, my original costume was a really good colour match and texture wise too as the mini skirt part clings closely (my suede was a stretch). The fabric knit componants are very grey and much darker (like the action figure). But the usual go to reference has the two componants much more similar in colour and a little darker.
I prefer the in game colours as they contrast better with the red.

My current base parts will work better for the concept and I have new knit fabric to overdye. I'll try and do this today given it is too overcast to get my lekku cast Wink
neimhaille ()
Naboo Outpost CO
Naboo Outpost CO

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. So clearly I was not satisfied with the fabric for my apron bits. Being nearly a year since my last update...

And I was not satisfied with any fabric anywhere because the in game and concept art shows a distinct drape and distinct ribbed effect.

All the knits I could find were either too fuzzy or too chunky. I tried with marled fabrics like the grey above but they just did not hang right.

Today while out hunting for Isopropyl alcohol and a bald cap I accidentally bought a roll of fabric (12m or about 13 yards) of fabric that is perfect. It is a woven fabric but the reverse has a distinct stripe that makes it appear knitted. There is a mix of vegetable (rayon most likely) and plastic fibre so can crease but it takes a while to get there (ideal for a costume not likely to get ironed but not likely to have been ironed much in the game....)

I also bought a wig head and will tonight start covering it in resin (epoxy won't destroy the polystyrene, though polyester resin would) so I can make my own bald caps. I apparently bought the entire stock out from this shop.

Since the last update I have also weathered the suede pieces with acyrlic ink. Said ink nearly broke my airbrush as it curdled on me for some reason. So the new apron bit may be hand dyed with a mix of inks and then the edges weatheres with sponge work to sake my airbrush. And maybe it will be for use only with Tamiya paints as they seem to work beautifully with it..

Armourer, sculptor, seamstress, tailor.
Fyr Mureys ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Hurricane Sandy Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have an Ahsoka coming along in my group, I'm sure she would love seeing this, I'll have to let her know about it. All I can say is... Wish you'd made your Sydney debut (or return) this year. Perhaps we will see you next year? Wink

Love this costume. Great work!

Fyr

Tython Base Facebook Page
Tython Base Membership Officer
Tython Base founding Commanding Officer 2013-2014
kathgruben ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neimhaille wrote:
Today while out hunting for Isopropyl alcohol and a bald cap I accidentally bought a roll of fabric (12m or about 13 yards) of fabric that is perfect.

Laughing Laughing Laughing this is what I tell my husband... I accidentally ended up in the fabric store and somehow ended up with a bunch of new fabric...no really Razz
neimhaille ()
Naboo Outpost CO
Naboo Outpost CO

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had my full movie version of Shaak Ti costume since 2012 however I'm finding I am less and less able to actually wear the costume.

I also do Darth Talon and Rachi Ritra- Rachi is infinitely easier as Talon and Shaak Ti both require gluing heavy applainces to my head. The twi'lek headwrap not only speeds up putting on a costume but it also reduces stress on the forehead and skin of the face!

Anyway, as we now have several examples of togruta other than Shaak Ti (though we have four very different examples of her- movie, game, CW cartoon and the comics- her costume changes but so does her face and eye colour!) I'm going to redo my costume and try for a generic Jedi as well.

Though I have also started upgrading the game version as I have discovered the joys of forming leather!

http://www.arrayedindreams.com/tag/shaak-ti/

Currently debating patterns on the lekku and montral. I will probably do the pale grey of the game version of Shaak Ti so that I can use the one set for all.

Kylo Ren (Dawn Bright)
Assistant Membership Officer
Assistant Membership Officer

Medals: 4 (View more...)
2013 Christmas Toys for Tots Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please tell me you are going to CE7 =D Beautiful!

LMO 501st Legion ALMO Rebel Legion
neimhaille ()
Naboo Outpost CO
Naboo Outpost CO

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would so love to, But I don't think my health or finances can do another trip :/ Still hanging out that Celebration Downunder that has been petitioned a few times Wink

Given my new foray in to leather work I will have yet another bikini bra and skirt and wraps ready to pass on Wink (but not the jewelry) I have so much of the lovely crepe, librarian Togruta is a definite possibility Smile

Thank you for the lovely compliment Smile

statbean (Irene)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your Headpieces are wonderful!! I can only hope if I decided to work on a shaak ti (or Togruta Jedi) it will look as good Very Happy Still working out the sensitive skin issue but you have given me hope!

I would love to see you do a librarian Togruta!!
neimhaille ()
Naboo Outpost CO
Naboo Outpost CO

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh thank goodness! Yes there is hope for sensitive skin Smile And I am dealing with a fairly major allergic breakout right now! I just has an infusion of antibodies and a big old rash has started well.. everywhere! So I really do understand what it means Smile

In fact the butterfly rash type deal on my face is sort of giving me ideas on how to tint my face for a generic jedi (I think Librarrian as I do want flowy robes but more fitted so the lekku don't grab and move them around Smile

Togruta love! If my current method works well I will be able to make several casts- the method will allow for them to be worn to fit a variety of face shapes and so hopefully elimnate the need for bald caps and thus even less glue and skin pressure.

I would like to get at least six sets made over summer here, so I have a short list but no immediate hurry to get on said list if you were interested. Being hollow and made inseparate parts they should allow for a few variations in how to wear them for balance and ease of wear.

Also i keep hoping SWTOR make togruta playable. I can deal with clipping, just pleeaaase let me make one of my toons a togruta!

Luckyjack (Jack Reuter)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simply wonderful - and hopefully the dark side's rash won't be too persistent !!! Shocked

Tusken Raid

Tusken Bantha Rider
Old Republic Jedi Knight
Qui-Gon Jinn
Devaron Base

TK / TB / DZ 4997
501st Legion
Northeast Remnant Garrison (NER)

Mando Mercs - "Lucky" Jak Tang
Raquor'daan Clan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Other Named Jedi All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: