About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=0383a98ae8463e71eef851a4e8a7c9a6Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Wookie Curious....
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sandtrooperscout (Mark Tomasello)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:19 am    Post subject: Wookie Curious.... Reply with quote

Just have a question, if you'll humor me.

Just was wondering if I'd be too short to ever contemplate a Chewie. I'm 5'8. I'd need 16+ inches of lift to break the 7' mark. Is this even do-able?

It's something that's been swimming around in the back of my head.

Cobalt60

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah. you basically want something like this:
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&productId=100645889&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&PID=500871&cm_mmc=CJ-_-500871-_-10368321&cpncode=25-26433413-2&AID=10368321&cj=true&srccode=cii_9324560
(24 inch drywall stilts)

there's a thread on it here
http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28678&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome that I can get those at the Depot. Would have never thought to look there.

I saw that thread too, and theres where I learned about the Sky Walker stilts.

Looking back I see my real question didnt come across too well. I know about the stilts and such, but what I'm wondering is if at 5'8, am I too short to seriously pull this off? I get the impression that most of the Wookieers are already 6' and up, so the lift issue isnt as severe as mine would be.

SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sandtrooperscout wrote:
Awesome that I can get those at the Depot. Would have never thought to look there.

I saw that thread too, and theres where I learned about the Sky Walker stilts.

Looking back I see my real question didnt come across too well. I know about the stilts and such, but what I'm wondering is if at 5'8, am I too short to seriously pull this off? I get the impression that most of the Wookieers are already 6' and up, so the lift issue isnt as severe as mine would be.

@ 5 foot 8....

If you figure your mask can add up to 4-6 inches.. that brings you to over 6 foot allready. so all you need is 1 foot in lifts/ stilts. There are no stilts that are lower than 1 foot as it is, so with a mask and the lowest of all stilts you will be at or over 7 foot. The min height needed for formal wookiee.

At 5 foot 8 I would avoid trying to hit the 8 foot mark though. Your arms will look much shorter than most wooks.

I say go for it!

Side note:
There is a good chance I will be heading up there for Convergence... if you want to hook up, I can go over with you any and all questions you might have.

Bob
Lumpy (Chris Blackstock)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Bob - shoot for 7' or a touch over and that can be done!! You really only need more like 16" stilts. That would help keep you more in proportion.
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised that the Depot now stocks stilts. When I was first looking for mine they didn't carry them for fear of liability lawsuits.

But yeah, as others have said the mask will add some height as well. Your shoes (bolted on or not) will probably add close to 1" to your barefoot height. Furthermore, as the guy who wrote the Wookiee costume standards (with Bob and other Wookiees helping, especially on the height issue) the 7' is more of a fuzzy requirement. You aren't going to get rejected if you're "only" 6'10".

The idea is that you can't just be tall, you have to be a giant, and people's default reaction should be "HOLY $%&!"
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the input guys. You've been a great help. I'm close to making a decision I think, lol. Believe it or not my wife is already on board and is actually pushing me to do it.

Lumpy (Chris Blackstock)
Active Legion Member

CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sandtrooperscout wrote:
Thanks for all the input guys. You've been a great help. I'm close to making a decision I think, lol. Believe it or not my wife is already on board and is actually pushing me to do it.

That will last until she is cleaning Wookiee hair out of EVERYTHING!!!! Laughing Laughing
Best of luck - there are lots of people here to help as you progress.
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sandtrooperscout wrote:

That will last until she is cleaning Wookiee hair out of EVERYTHING!!!! Laughing Laughing
Best of luck - there are lots of people here to help as you progress.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well....its a go! Ordered my SkyWalkers today. I'm sure I'll be bombarding you all with questions soon enough. Thanks in advance, lol! I'm excited to becoming "part of the tribe." Smile

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the question asking begins! (Didnt take long, did it? lol)

I found this breakdown in another thread:

60 bags- #27

40 bags - #44

10 bags - #4

10 bags - #6

Is that still a good amount of bags to start with? We had quite some issue finding the 44, but we think we've located some.

For the mesh fabric, in the same thread I saw Collins Cottage mentioned. Which style of mesh is best, or does it really matter?

TheNegotiator (Derek Struchtemeyer)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sandtrooperscout wrote:
Well....its a go! Ordered my SkyWalkers today. I'm sure I'll be bombarding you all with questions soon enough. Thanks in advance, lol! I'm excited to becoming "part of the tribe." Smile

Mark, I think you'll be very happy with the Skywalker stilts. I love mine; and I'm still getting used to them. Keep us updated please!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sandtrooperscout wrote:
Is that still a good amount of bags to start with? We had quite some issue finding the 44, but we think we've located some.

60 bags- #27
40 bags - #44
10 bags - #4
10 bags - #6

That is quite a bit of hair, that almost enough to do two Wookies, I purchased 40 #27 and 20 # 44 with a various mix of blending colors, but it is good to have extra for repairs.

I got my hair at http://www.ikickshins.net./bulk.php you can save a little money when you buy it in bulk.

sandtrooperscout wrote:
For the mesh fabric, in the same thread I saw Collins Cottage mentioned. Which style of mesh is best, or does it really matter?

I used the Aquatic mesh, it is very durable yet comfortable to wear with some give. I would rather have a strong mesh that wont rip easily, because the last thing you want is your Wookie coming out from a unexpected tear.
Greywolf (Julie Yakes)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also used the Collin Cottage aquatic mesh, and 14" fixed-height durastilts. I'm 5'7" and between those and the mask, I top out at 7'3". Looks respectable, too. I tried taller stilts, but the proportions of arms to legs were so far out of whack, I opted for a slightly shorter Chewie that looked more proportional.

You've got plenty of hair, so you should be just fine there. Some people use a hackle for blending, but after trying that with disastrous results and a lot of wasted hair, I just interspersed the colors on the suit and then hand-blended when I was punching the mask.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!!
I am going to cut my hair order back to what Namgorf used I think now.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: