About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=2c701547b787418f786e3f9d451823e6Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Solo prospect with some questions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Fringe Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blair (Vlastimil Sprta)
Lion Base CO
Lion Base CO

Medals: 4 (View more...)
Boston Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cobalt60 wrote:
it looks identical to the one I have. mine is a plastic airsoft.
I got mine on ebay.. not sure if its the same vendor.
the gun itself is VERY lightweight, but as you can see from the pics, it still looks like the real deal.
the whole thing is plastic except for the scope-mount,which is metal.

I think this was actually the best $50 I ever spent on this hobby. hehe Wink

Yes, it is same one Smile - plastic airsoft with metal scope-mount ...

+ I am thinking same way Very Happy - this blaster was great deal Smile (his weight is ok for costumebase holster)

Lion Base Commanding Officer | Docking Bay 94 Detachment Executive Officer
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Hurricane Sandy Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys...

I will add them to the archive then as a valid vendor for blasters.

Bob
Lichtbringer ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If i may chime in ..... thats the wrong Mauser.

Solo had C96 (the real and the MGC, from both they build his movie guns), and thatīs the version what the Denix resembles.

But all the Airsoft versions out there are 712 models - they can easily recognized by having much fewer ribs on the grip, and especially that triangular part on the left side. Itīs a fire-selector.

The C96 was the old pre-WW I version, it was loaded with strips fom above - the 712 had a magazine as we know from todays pistols. The small one could be swapped with a longer mag, cause this version had a auto-fire function.

Have a nice day,
Michael
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Hurricane Sandy Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lichtbringer wrote:
If i may chime in ..... thats the wrong Mauser.

Solo had C96 (the real and the MGC, from both they build his movie guns), and thatīs the version what the Denix resembles.

But all the Airsoft versions out there are 712 models - they can easily recognized by having much fewer ribs on the grip, and especially that triangular part on the left side. Itīs a fire-selector.

The C96 was the old pre-WW I version, it was loaded with strips fom above - the 712 had a magazine as we know from todays pistols. The small one could be swapped with a longer mag, cause this version had a auto-fire function.

Very true, the issue is... there is nothing else that works out there for people who are going with something lighter. The Denix is an extremely heavy replica, however accurate it may be. Where as the Airsoft.. is extremely light in it's comparison, and maybe a handful of people thru ought the world would even know that its not the same.

I love factoids, and appreciate you bringing this forward. I do not have an airsoft, so I have never viewed it up close... I own all denix style blaseters. Do you by chance have any original pictures of either or both versions of the broomhandle mauser to show the different versions. We are a picture driven club. Smile

Bob
Lichtbringer ()

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Letīs see ... i borrowed some airsoft-pics from justpistols.co.uk

The 712:

This has a long mag, but shorter are more common - you see the magrelease between mag and trigger

And on the left side, the triangular fire-selector:

But the major difference, even good noticeable when holstered, ist the grip with only a few but deep grooves.

Here is a real one, from collectorsmallarms.com:

Also highly visible are the missing details on the receiver above the grip, on both sides.

And now the C96, which is resembled by the MGC and the Denix:

Left side, with details but without the 712s fire-selector

And from the right side, no magrelease but details:

And the Denix:

And a MGC (my own, before modification to ANH):

I hope that helps a little bit.

Have a nice day,
Michael
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most certainly does clear things up. I appreciate the pics!

I doubt we will make any changes as to allowing the airsoft as a valid blaster, but for those of us who are always looking for more accurate costumes this info will be of great help to help identify the blasters.

When I get a chance I will try and work these pictures into the archive so they don't get lost.

Thanks again!

Bob Kohn
DCO
Lichtbringer ()

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For archive i have to admit that the Denix isnīt perfect, too. As itīs a Zamak-cast replica it assembles different from a real one - thats the reason for a tiny screw whicht bolts the upper and the lower receiver together in front of the mag. Then it has 3 pins driven from left to right, which hold the internal mechanics - they can be sanded down and filled.
And the 2 parts of the grip are screwed on, not fastened with a escutcheon as the real one:

The MGC has none of this flaws, no wonder cause it was used in the film, so itīs off course correct.

But the MGC goes for/over 250-300$, and the Denix for noticeable under 100 - so itīs a damn good deal for the requested bucks. Cool

The ANH is a MGC, the GK and ESB are made from Denix:

Have a nice day,
Michael
sandtrooperscout (Mark Tomasello)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome pics! That's also why I went with a Denix over the over blaster, that selector switch kept throwing me off. However, now that I've got the Mauser on the way, I need to find the parts to make Solo-fied! I've got an aluminium flash hider coming already from Evolution Toys/Props, but I need to find a place for the scope, and the grill bits for the side, etc. I've checked with Blas-Tech, and he's out of everything except for ANH grills and flash hiders.

Lichtbringer ()

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sandtrooperscout wrote:
I need to find the parts to make Solo-fied!

Are you looking for this stuff?

Have a nice day,
Michael
sandtrooperscout (Mark Tomasello)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup! And of course scope & mount.

Cobalt60

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

some parts can be found here
http://www.evolutiontoys.com.ar/index.php?id=cat&item=63
Lichtbringer ()

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sandtrooperscout wrote:
Yup! And of course scope & mount.

Try to buy a Revell-USA model-kit called "visible V8", itīs a V8-engine with internals, made of clear and colored styrene.

Nearly every of itīs parts was used to greeble up the one or the other real filming SW-prop.

2 of itīs piston halfs were used on Solos mag, a square piece from the ignition with 2 holes is used on another place on the back end.

Various parts are used on the rebels DH-17.

Some parts were used as tools for Han Solos belt

and.... and... and....

Unfortunatly not available here in Germany. Neutral

But as i prefer to have parts made from metal over using plastic parts (i have several sets of these pistons, but use replicas made on my lathe), i can live with it. Smile

For the scope - get a good cast of a M19 or a M32 (identical), NOT M38, M38A, M40, M77, ....- as these are bigger ones, used on Stormtroopers E-11 only. M19 casts should be accessible between 10 and 20$ + shipping, depending on the wanted quality.

The scopemount is just a short piece of L-shaped alu profiles - drilled, cut with a hacksaw, and filed to get smooth edges. Easy doable.

Not sure if it would help if i post threads about the way i did my blasters - i did as many as possible from metal. On the other hand it may give the one or the other person a idea to try it by your own, maybe not all, but some parts.

Is here a central place for build blasters? I have the 3 DL-44 from the above pic, and currently iīm working on a E-11 blaster-pistol (one handed version of the Stormtroopers "lady") and a more modern version of the EE-3.

Have a nice day,
Michael
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lichtbringer wrote:

Not sure if it would help if i post threads about the way i did my blasters - i did as many as possible from metal. On the other hand it may give the one or the other person a idea to try it by your own, maybe not all, but some parts.

Is here a central place for build blasters? I have the 3 DL-44 from the above pic, and currently iīm working on a E-11 blaster-pistol (one handed version of the Stormtroopers "lady") and a more modern version of the EE-3.

We are always looking for Tutorials... props and costume builds alike. If you put a tutorial together, be as detailed as you like post it anywhere you want in the fringe and I will make sure it gets to the right locations for Tutorials.

The Parts of Star Wars has Listings of many of the Parts from the Revell-USA model-kit called "visible V8"... and where they end up in the movie. One can spend a bit of time there looking for stuff.

Anything you can add to builds or tutorials will be of great help... cant wait to see what you have!

Bob Kohn
Scruffy Nerf Herder (Daniel Balschi)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoloYT1300 wrote:

I doubt we will make any changes as to allowing the airsoft as a valid blaster,

Just doing some research to start my Han ESB build and now I'm a little confused. Will an airsoft conversion work as my blaster for formal membership or should I be going a different route?
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoloYT1300 wrote:
I doubt we will make any changes as to allowing the airsoft as a valid blaster, but for those of us who are always looking for more accurate costumes this info will be of great help to help identify the blasters.

Let me clear that sentence up.

I doubt there will be any changes to standards based on the info brought forward. This info however will allow those who want to take it to another level, the ability to do so.

The LCJ's and LMO will have to make official calls on that, but I cannot see it being an issue using the airsoft. Its a great alternative to a heavy Denix blaster.

Bob Kohn
DCO
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Fringe Archive All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: