About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=8c054205ee358656c2a1d02e36ca4583Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Han Droid caller
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Fringe Weaponry and Props
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sand8690 ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:31 pm    Post subject: Han Droid caller Reply with quote

Hello, I am new to the forums and hope that I am posting this in the right place. Also, sorry if this topic has been covered elsewhere.

So, I have been looking at various droid callers for the ANH Han and, for lack of finding a real Kobold (which is what I really was looking for), I have narrowed down my choices to two options.

Just wondering if you have any input on these.

Evolution Props' droid caller, which I found here: http://www.evolutiontoys.com.ar/index.php?id=item&item=369

I like the look of it, it's metal, which adds to it IMO, and the working lights are pretty cool. But I have heard that it does not sit very well in the C-clip of most Han holsters which might be an issue.

Then there is the Corellian Exports resin kit. I don't mind painting it and building it, but I feel that the fact of it being a resin kit kind of takes away from the "feel" of having an electronic device attached to your belt.

Bottom line, what would you guys recommend?
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

65 dollars seems a bit much for a droid caller that is not 100% accurate. I would go with a cheap resin one while you kept looking for the real deal IMO.

I paid just around 100$ for both of my doid callers total... and they are original vintage flash units, the same ones in the movie. It also took me around 1-2 years to get them, searching ebay almost every other day.

So patience is key IMO.

You can spend 65 for a replica, or 65 for the original if you want to wait.... its up to you. Not sure why they have bateries for a replica... its not suppose to do anything like sound or lights... seems to me to be a gimic or something to get people to pay more than they should. I wish they would have spent more effort into the details making it worth the 65$

Personally I think Duppy doos is cheaper and a bit more accurat as well... still not the real deal, but better money spent IMO.:
doopydoos which apears to be Out of stock at the moment, may be worth an email... or you can try corellianexports Like Doopydoos its resin, but cheaper until you can find the real deal. I also think both CE and Doopies are pretty accurate... being they were cast from originals props.

Here is the link that I used to eventually get my droid callers. I would also recomend misspelling Kobald as Kabald when you search as well. The one droid caller I got cheap because they spelled it wrong! Laughing

Ebay search

Bob
Cobalt60

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the one from evolution toys:

yes, the light is a bit of a gimmick Wink (and Yes, I'm still searching for a real Kobold)

but for what its worth, I wouldn't get a resin/plastic copy -- the metal one from Evolution is 10x the awesome Wink hehe

if its strictly a choice between Evolution and Resin .. get the one from evolution. you won't regret it.
(metal > plastic)

ideally, though, Bob is right. nothing beats the RealThing(tm).
Cool

Quote:
I have heard that it does not sit very well in the C-clip of most Han holsters which might be an issue.

I lined the inside of the C-clamp with self-adhesive velcro (fuzzy-side ONLY) -- this tightens the clamp AND prevents scratches Wink hehe

(also the C-clamp can be bent either way , to make it tighter or looser as needed -- its just thin metal. it bends easily)
marvin (Erik J. von Oy)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:49 pm    Post subject: Cheapper droid caller Reply with quote

This is the droid caller I got for my Han Solo ANH

http://cgi.ebay.com/Star-Wars-Droid-Caller-Resin-Prop-Model-Kit-/140507914965?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20b6eca2d5

All it took was a little paint
Jedi Loreen (Lori Procopio)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That resin one from ebay is too long. It looks odd.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received my ESB resin droid caller and Han's belt tools from CE today. They're highly detailed (in my opinion) and of heavy weight.

I'm sorry for the pictures' poor quality, had to use my webcam.

Ky-Wan Zann ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice. I'm currently looking for a new update from my costume base DC. Apart from the evoloutions one are any already pre assembled and painted?

'Just because I don't like to fight. Doesn't mean I can't'

'They can be a great people Kal-El they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way'

'JASON' Detachment
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A while back I think Parks made them, but I do not think so anymore. Doopydoos are out... not to mention they might not be painted.

The one from CE is not bad, but does require paint.

Not a ton of options tbh.

Sorry

Bob
Ky-Wan Zann ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I don't really want to have a fake resin one....but the electronic one isn't replica either is it

'They can be a great people Kal-El they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way'

'JASON' Detachment
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cobalt60

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

its about as close to a replica as a force-FX lightsaber Wink hehe
Ky-Wan Zann ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What changes would I have to do to thje Evo light up prop?, I like the real one but if its something I'll have to update again later I'll just get a resin one even though I HATE resin props

'JASON' Detachment
Cobalt60

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scroll up a few posts, there's a pic of the evo prop. I don't think you'd really need to change anything. its OK by RL standards.

(I didn't change mine at all, thats exactly how I bought it, in the pic above).

a resin prop might be a bit more accurate in terms of size/shape/dimension.. but this is more accurate in terms of being a real piece of metal hardware. you can tell right away, its not a plastic toy. that alone adds a sense of realism to the costume, even if it's missing an exact detail here and there.

(kinda like those force-fx lightsabers. hehe)
Ky-Wan Zann ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm some food for thought. Anyone else have any prefrence. I love how much detail thje Han and Fringe area has gotten now so I really wanna make sure I get this right. I still have to get either better blood stripes and a metal blaster down the way too or new pants entirely

'JASON' Detachment
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ky-Wan Zann wrote:
I love how much detail thje Han and Fringe area has gotten now so I really wanna make sure I get this right.

We have tried to kick the Fringe area into shape this past year... and its nice to see that people have noticed.

For the Droid callers:

I started with Han years ago, about 2 years before I joined the RL... and I had started with the resin ones. Back then there was no Doopydoos, and Evo toys to choose from. I eventually go real Kobalds but it took 3 years. Knowing what’s out there now I would highly suggest going with the Evo... modifying it is not needed TBH.

You can save up and search for original Flash units, but they are becoming harder to find... and more pricey. I think Evo is a good alternative to the real deal.

Bob Kohn
Ky-Wan Zann ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. The Doopy ones are nice. I just got the new insider and Han is on the cover. It looks like the bottom of his caller has a piece on it as well circular which I don't see on the above mentioned items. Worse cade I could cut some sintra and glue it to it at the bottom right?

'JASON' Detachment
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Fringe Weaponry and Props All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: