About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=b489fb32292e57684e0f2c8a19d1a4e6Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Jawa Height
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Supporters
View previous topic :: View next topic  
miralys51 (Jackie)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:55 pm    Post subject: Jawa Height Reply with quote

So, I'm sure this is a totally crazy question, but I wanted to make sure before I start procuring materials.

Is there a height threshold for Jawas? I don't see anything on the Standards. I'm too short for a Stormtrooper but too tall for a real Jawa (five foot two). Mr. Green
Jada ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our charter has the verbage but we don't discriminate on height, color, weight, sex (we have female Chewbaccas!), etc. Go for it!

Rest In Peace Iceobel - Faithful Dog - August 1997 - July 2011

Rest In Peace Leo - Feline Companion and Comforter - adopted March 2005 - August 2013
Amalphiea ()
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 4 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've only got 2 inches on me. Plus if you watch the scene where the Jawas are bringing the droids out of the crawler, one of the Jawas is just about as tall as C3PO.
Legion Costume Judge
Legion PR Team

Amalphiea ()
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See at 1:19 on this. The 2 by C3PO are just about the same size.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbmqnINyLXM
Legion Costume Judge
Legion PR Team

miralys51 (Jackie)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool! Thanks for the replies, now I can rest easy as I start to assemble the pieces.
Jawa (Justin)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amalphiea wrote:
See at 1:19 on this. The 2 by C3PO are just about the same size.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbmqnINyLXM

I was looking at that particular scene as well when I was talking to another friend who wanted to make a Jawa and I did a little digging. Anthony Daniels is only about 5'8" and the tall jawa looks to be atleast 4 inches shorter. Maybe a threshold should be discussed about making it around 5'5" as the cut off (obviously in the future cuz all standards are currently locked). 5'2" is plenty short enough to a Jawa, but if you are really worried about looking tall...just slouch lol. That will drop you to around me and Amalphiea's height.

I am really happy to see that someone actually cares about it looking accurate. If the costume is spot on and the greatest thing in the world, it still wont be too believable if your the wrong size. (Vader wouldn't really be Vader at 5'1" lol). We do not discriminate at all, but it is really nice to see people to stick to their strengths.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Jawa (Justin)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miralys51 wrote:
Cool! Thanks for the replies, now I can rest easy as I start to assemble the pieces.

I can't wait to see the progress. If you have any questions, Amalphiea is an expert on all things Jawa, but I am always willing to help out fellow scavengers too with materials, ideas and cheaper ways to get the look you are going for.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
De Jawa Vu ()
Active Legion Member

2013 Christmas Toys for Tots Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your shorter than me so no worry. I'm a hair shy of 6 foot and around 265.....So get your Jawa on....We could always use more!

Now as far as a standard size that's touchy because folks like me would've been excluded.
Amalphiea ()
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We can not discriminate because of how someone looks. That also means that you have to choose wisely when making your costume choice. Just because I can do a Slave Leia, doesn't mean that I should. It is your choice, but a really tall Jawa or Ewok are going to have to listen to the comments from the public.
Legion Costume Judge
Legion PR Team

De Jawa Vu ()
Active Legion Member

Boston Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amalphiea wrote:
We can not discriminate because of how someone looks. That also means that you have to choose wisely when making your costume choice. Just because I can do a Slave Leia, doesn't mean that I should. It is your choice, but a really tall Jawa or Ewok are going to have to listen to the comments from the public.
I hear them all the time...Especially next to a short stormtrooper....But yet those folks always want a pic with me....I usually come up with something funny to spit out. It gets a lugh. The kids love the glowing eyes so It's all cool. Most negative comments are folks picking at us from a distance for being in costume. Jerks trying to be jerks. Now back on the subject of slave leia.....
GotWookiee (Matt Pfingsten)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a height requirement for Wookiees. They have to be at least 7' (or close enough) for formal status.

Of course, it is very easy to add height via stilts, masks, lifts, and the like. So that requirement is quite reasonable. I can't really see how you would make someone shorter without doing the Mel Brooks thing (walk on your knees).
Jawa (Justin)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GotWookiee wrote:
We have a height requirement for Wookiees. They have to be at least 7' (or close enough) for formal status.

Of course, it is very easy to add height via stilts, masks, lifts, and the like. So that requirement is quite reasonable. I can't really see how you would make someone shorter without doing the Mel Brooks thing (walk on your knees).

I'm sure the height requirement is in place to maintain the illusion of the real character, in the same aspect a character that was originally portrayed by little people, children, or those very small in stature should maintain the same illusion.

I am not trying to bash anyone here, lets make that perfectly clear, while a 6 foot jawa is funny and kids really wont care either way because all they like are the glowing eyes it is still as ridiculous as a bath robe jedi no matter what the quality is. All I am saying is, if we like to claim that we have standards to adhere to on screen and canon references then lets take those standards seriously and add a height requirement on things like Jawas and Ewoks. I made a Jawa Jedi that I ended up understanding full well why it could never be considered "Formal" because it is simply absurd; equally, a tall costumer making a Jawa should expect the same treatment. Shorter people only have so many costumes they can really pull off and for people who can fit just about any bill to take those from them is kind of insulting to be honest.

I love seeing more Jawas join the ranks of smelly scavengers...but nothing sticks out more than a Jawa towering over the likes of Han Solo and most Jedi.
De Jawa Vu ()
Active Legion Member

2013 Christmas Toys for Tots Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jawa wrote:
GotWookiee wrote:

I'm sure the height requirement is in place to maintain the illusion of the real character, in the same aspect a character that was originally portrayed by little people, children, or those very small in stature should maintain the same illusion.

I am not trying to bash anyone here, lets make that perfectly clear, while a 6 foot jawa is funny and kids really wont care either way because all they like are the glowing eyes it is still as ridiculous as a bath robe jedi no matter what the quality is. All I am saying is, if we like to claim that we have standards to adhere to on screen and canon references then lets take those standards seriously and add a height requirement on things like Jawas and Ewoks. I made a Jawa Jedi that I ended up understanding full well why it could never be considered "Formal" because it is simply absurd; equally, a tall costumer making a Jawa should expect the same treatment. Shorter people only have so many costumes they can really pull off and for people who can fit just about any bill to take those from them is kind of insulting to be honest.

I love seeing more Jawas join the ranks of smelly scavengers...but nothing sticks out more than a Jawa towering over the likes of Han Solo and most Jedi.
Tall people took things?!?!?!?! Good points made I suppose......Speaking of being insulted, I think your bordering on insulting others at this point. I'm pretty sure your intent wasn't to do that but you might want to quit while your getting the benefit of the doubt. Things aren't always clear in forums versus face to face so your words may come off wrong. Unless you truly feel us "tall folks" get everything. Bye the way my Wife is 5'3" so I know about height. But your concern is admirable......I will leave it at that.
Jawa (Justin)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry if it came off as offensive. That was not my intent at all.
De Jawa Vu ()
Active Legion Member

Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jawa wrote:
Sorry if it came off as offensive. That was not my intent at all.
I figured.....But if we truly made things screen accurate no one but a few could be jawas or ewoks. They would have to be under 5 feet tall. But I appreciate your enthusiasm. Speak your mind. Love, Peace, and Ewok Grease.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Supporters All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: