Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=bc425d5ba5e7da9ff324772127f16040Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Obi-wan Episode III tunic help
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Obi-Wan Kenobi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Obiwan83 ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:33 pm    Post subject: Obi-wan Episode III tunic help Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I am new here and do not yet have a costume but I am getting there. I have the boots, belt, pouches, lightsaber(I hope) and robe. However the robe is very cheaply made and I am looking to get a new one. does anyone have this one? http://cgi.ebay.com/MUSEUM-REPLICAS-Obi-Wan-Kenobi-Jedi-Cloak-Robe-INSTOCK-/190458447867?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c583547fb

I am wondering how good it is and how acceptable it is for an EpIII Obi-wan. Also would love to see photos of the actual robe.

Thanks!

-Chris aka Obi-Wan
JediMasterMark (Mark Jones)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Chris. I did a quick search on 'Museum Replicas' and got a number of threads here where experienced members have spoken about MR. The most applicable one, with some good pictures:

http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18435&highlight=museum+replicas

Hope that helps.

Last edited by JediMasterMark (Mark Jones) on Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Masterbean (Brian Bean)
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far Museum Replica's stuff is acceptable for approval. It's okay, you could do better, but for those who don't know/want to sew and hunt for fabric, it's a good alternative.
Patch (Joshua Rackley)
Tranquility Base CO
Tranquility Base CO

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Their stuff is usually a bit on the pricy side. I recommend Mystik Merchant. Its the robe I wear. Approvable and affordable.

http://mystikmerchant.com/

As far as tunics, check out the tutorial thread, Sitharirog posted an awesome walk through of an EP III OWK Tunic.

I would also recommend you check out his Jedi utility boxes, they are top notch also.

Tranquility Base Commanding Officer | TD - 4137
Rade Larkin (Patrick)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patch wrote:

As far as tunics, check out the tutorial thread, Sitharirog posted an awesome walk through of an EP III OWK Tunic.

I would also recommend you check out his Jedi utility boxes, they are top notch also.

If you have questions about the outer tunic you should definitely look at SithariRog's awesome tutorial!
Here are some links to look at regarding the tunic and the robe:

http://www.crazyoldwizards.com.ar/www/cow/boards/forum_posts.asp?TID=607&title=owk-tunic-tutorial-a-mod-of-simplicity-4450
http://www.crazyoldwizards.com.ar/www/cow/boards/forum_posts.asp?TID=307&title=robe-pattern
http://www.crazyoldwizards.com.ar/www/cow/boards/forum_posts.asp?TID=619&title=my-owk-epiii-costume-wip

Here are some of my robe reference pics:

http://s721.photobucket.com/albums/ww211/Rade_Larkin/OWK%20Robe%20Reference/

Of course you should have a look at the Jedi tutorials for they are a great help.
I'm working on my Obi-wan Ep.III costume for some months now and did a lot of research, pattern making, etc. So if you have a question feel free to ask!
Trousers:Working on
Belt and boots:Pending
Rade Larkin (Patrick)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please excuse the double post!! Embarassed
Obiwan83 ()

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the Help guys!!!

mystick merchant robes but I would prefer the wool robe. He doesnt have them in the right color. Which robe did you get? They don't seem to have the shoulder tucks.
Obiwan83 ()

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the Help guys!!!

I like the mystick merchant robes but I would prefer the wool robe. He doesnt have them in the right color. Which robe did you get? They don't seem to have the shoulder tucks.
Obiwan83 ()

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Masterbean....when you say those who don't know...do you mean there are problems with the MR robe other than the price? It's made of wool so that's a plus for me. Though on his facebook page the fabric does look a little less like wool and more like a thick woven cotton or other fabric. What am I missing. Again, I am new so I don't know the accurate fabric types and other details.
Obiwan83 ()

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Masterbean....when you say those who don't know...do you mean there are problems with the MR robe other than the price? It's made of wool so that's a plus for me. Though on his facebook page the fabric does look a little less like wool and more like a thick woven cotton or other fabric. What am I missing. Again, I am new so I don't know the accurate fabric types and other details.
miqt (Mike)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think boiled wool or a boiled wool blend would look the most accurate. My robe is boiled (refers to the texture) 100%wool and weighs about 20lbs. I can ONLY wear it in the very best air conditioning (but not for long) or outside in the Canadian spring or Fall. Accurate in the case of the jedi robe is.....umm..... uncomfortable :-) The robes are not terribly hard to make. Hope this helps your cause.
Mike
Masterbean (Brian Bean)
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from what I've seen in person at the cons, the material is not terrible, but I do think you could do better if you made it yourself. Now, as far as trying to just buy something off the rack? yes, this stuff is the best there is out there. It is for certain the best mast produced costume replica's I've seen. But I personally think it's a little shabby for the price, but that's because I am will to spend the same money or less to do it myself and get higher quality.
I hope that explains my answer
Rade Larkin (Patrick)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miqt wrote:
The robes are not terribly hard to make.

Well, that depends on how accurate the robe should be. A rather inaccurate robe is indeed easy to make but to make it as accurate as possible is a difficult task. Over at Crazyoldwizards we are struggling to find the most accurate pattern and way to make an Obi-wan robe. SithariRog is working on the prototype right now as you can see at this forum.

Masterbean wrote:
from what I've seen in person at the cons, the material is not terrible, but I do think you could do better if you made it yourself. Now, as far as trying to just buy something off the rack? yes, this stuff is the best there is out there. It is for certain the best mast produced costume replica's I've seen. But I personally think it's a little shabby for the price, but that's because I am will to spend the same money or less to do it myself and get higher quality.
I hope that explains my answer

I totally agree with Masterbean. Despite I never seen those replica robes in person but I'm absolutely sure that for the same money or less you could make your own robe which is more accurate and is made to your measurements. If you need help you could go to a professional seamstress. With some reference pictures and research the seamstress could make a good robe for you and it shouldn't cost more than those mass products.
Jedidan45 ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had good luck with...

http://outerrobes.com/

I don't think they're wool, but the fabric has a nice weight to it and it's plenty of material.

"What the hell is an Aluminum Falcon!?!"
Rade Larkin (Patrick)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedidan45 wrote:
I've had good luck with...

http://outerrobes.com/

I don't think they're wool, but the fabric has a nice weight to it and it's plenty of material.

Looks like a good start but they are missing the shoulder tucks too. And I don't think that the sleeves are that accurate.
Depends if you just want to make a generic Jedi costume or an Obi-wan costume.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Obi-Wan Kenobi All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: