About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=b25c36d7aedac31dd707fc966feb218eMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Spencer County Library Summer Reading Program

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Corellian Base -> Corellian Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FallenJedi ()
Corellian Base CO
Corellian Base CO

Medals: 2 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:40 am    Post subject: Spencer County Library Summer Reading Program
Event: Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:00 pm

Y'all know the drill, post if you will be attending this event.

Organization: Spencer County Library
Event Name: Summer Reading Program
Venue / Facility: Taylorsville Elementary School
Address: 206 Reasor Ave
City: Tayorsville
State/Province: KY 40071

Start Date: June 28, 2011
End Date: June 28, 2011
Start Time: 10:30
End Time: 2:30

Approximate number of attendees: 150
Number of characters requested: 2-4
Characters requested: Rebel Pilots, Jedi, Royalty, Rebel Troopers, Droids, Others

Can you provide a secure changing room/staging area to accommodate costumed attendees?: Yes

Please (briefly) describe the event and your organization's role:: Our Summer Reading Program encourages kids to read thru the summer and keep their skills up. I am working on getting a portable planetarium that will hold 30 kids at a time. While one bunch is in the planetarium the other kids and their parents would be free to explore your realm.
How did you hear about us? : Frankfort Library

(I'll be cross posting this on the MSG)

Last edited by FallenJedi () on Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
jedimika ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, this will be a good one to do. I actually have family in Spencer County so I'm kinda familiar with the area and it's not too far. Odd that it's during the week (if I looked at my calendar right) but it will be easier for me to get a day off during the week than on a weekend. I can take point on this if needed. I'll cross post over at MSG.
Corellian Base XO
Corellian Base XO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone is going to be going from Knoxville and wants to carpool let me know. As of me going solo probably too far for me.
jedimika ()
Active Legion Member

Celebration Europe 2 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I met with the event head last week and checked out the trooping space. This is the finale to their Summer Reading program and theme is "Out of This World"

The most important thing is the event has moved to the nearby elementary school, specifically the gymnasium, because they're getting an inflatable planetarium and needed higher ceilings. The planetarium will be at one end of gym and we'll be at other. There are plenty of storage rooms and classrooms adjacent to gym to change and store stuff in. The down side is the gym is not air conditioned. I made sure to ask they have water on hand for us.

The troop is from 10:30am-2:30pm. They're expecting about 200 kids with age range from 8 to 15 y/o. There will be adult supervision present. There's also a Summer Day Care in the school and they may swing their kids by to peek in and break up their day. In addition to us and the planetarium there will arts and crafts in another room. The kids will be divided into groups of about 30 and will rotate through the stations. The planetarium presentation takes about 45 minutes so we'll have each group that long with about 4-5 rotations of kids coming through. At past library events with the prop talk we've done and meet and greet/picture taking after we've taken about 30-40 minutes. If we have enough troops to supervise other activities something like a "shoot the trooper" (nerf darts at a cardboard standup) or "lightsaber remote training" (keeping a balloon in the air with toy lightsabers within a taped off area) that I've heard other garrisons doing might be a possibility. I have rebel tattoos and trading cards that can be given to participatants. Any other ideas (or swag) are welcome. What we're able to do really just depends on how many troops can make it.

The library will be printing out the 501st/RL activity books but will be using them as activities in advance of the event as a way to build excitement.

As I was driving by I kept my eyes open for nearby places to eat post troop and I saw a McD's, a Hometown Pizza, and a chinese buffet. If we go a little out of Taylorsville to Louisville (by the Gene Snyder and Taylorsville Rd) we also have a BoomBozz Pizza, an El Nopal/Mexican and a Homemade Ice Cream and Pie Kitchen.

New address of event is...
Taylorsville Elementary School
206 Reasor Ave
Taylorsville Ky 40071

Don, if you could please change the address in the first post.

I'll post detailed directions as the event gets closer.

Space is not an issue so I have extended an invite to the local Mando Mercs and Dark Empire.

Cross posted to the MSG boards
Corellian Base CO
Corellian Base CO

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done, Thanks for heading this up Thumbs up
Looks to be a fun event.
Active Legion Member

Celebration Europe 2 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, per our contact person Stacy here’s a breakdown of the time frame we’re looking at for Tuesday…

9:00 Set up the doors will be open. I’m planning to be there at this time to get set up and dressed.
10:30 Shows on
12:15 Break for lunch (pizza provided)
12:45 Back to the show
2:30 Finished!

Directions:
There aren’t a lot of ways to get into Taylorsville. If you’re coming from out of town probably the best way is to take the Gene Snyder/841 to Taylorsville Road going to Taylorsville. From there make a right on Taylorsville Lake Road/Hwy 155 (turns into Hwy 55) and go straight for about 14 miles. You’ll pass through 2 four way stop lights along the way. After the second (you’ll see a McDonalds on the right) you’re getting close. Cross the bridge and make the first right on Reasor Ave. The school is on the left. There’s a small parking lot out by the front curb but most of the parking is in the back. Just make a left between the two buildings to park behind the school.

Taylorsville Elementary School
206 Reasor Ave
Taylorsville Ky 40071
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish I was going bro but I have to get ready for the event down here on Thursday.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Corellian Base -> Corellian Archive All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: