About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=4518cd29e3c223bc2017a586c0cf166cMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Pad'me Pony Tail Extension Help (battle maiden outfit)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
padawan_rachael (Rachael James)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:32 am    Post subject: Pad'me Pony Tail Extension Help (battle maiden outfit) Reply with quote

Hey everyone iam currently in the process of having Padme's Battle Maiden outfit made , Now the problem i have is her hair pony tail now i have beauty store down the road from me they where asking me did you want 10 inch pony tail or 12 inches? and iam not sure which would be long enough to make that whole loop hair style.

http://www.padawansguide.com/amidala/battle/chronicles2.jpg
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks almost like the hair loop (for lack of a more technical term) hits about mid neck, so I would say pull your hair into a bun about the middle of your head and measure halfway down your neck, double that measurement and add an inch for the looping. That way, it will look right on you.

As far as construction of it, I'd say cover a piece of craft foam cut in a fan shape and covered in fabric to match the hair. that way, you'll keep the shape a bit easier, and it's lightweight.

They came to fight for glory in the thousands.
Young men with their dreams.
They died before the guns in the hundreds.
A book of faded pictures, broken dreams.
Where are they now? The broken heroes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried doing that hair style my hair's not long enough here's a photo of my hair length

http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2810712/
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hrm. That does present challenges. Perhaps do the hairpiece so it comes up to make the bun as well, then?

If you want, there's a wig company that I'm familiar with that I can check to see what they offer in terms of hair extensions, and post it here for you.

They came to fight for glory in the thousands.
Young men with their dreams.
They died before the guns in the hundreds.
A book of faded pictures, broken dreams.
Where are they now? The broken heroes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Benae Quee (Kristin Mrozek Sirota)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you may need longer, like 14" to achieve that look and fullness of the looped parts. Does the place you go to also style the pieces? Could you try showing them the photo and see what they suggest or if they'll style it there. I know my place will style wigs and pieces too. I'm not sure if it costs extra though.

Funky Buns (Daphne Collier)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have actually tried this hairstyle. When I first wore my Padme battle costume, my hair was about your length. I basically pulled my hair into a pony tail and then pulled the hair through a second time but don't pull it through all the way. That creates the top loop. Then to add the second loop, you can use your hair extension to create the bottom loop. There are several ways you can achieve this. If you have an extra person to help you, its somewhat easy....doing it by yourself is a different story. Razz But anyway what you can do is gather up enough extension hair to form a bottom loop. You might have to cut some of the hair (depending how long the extension is). Bring the hair together with either a pony tail band, or you can try gluing the hair onto a big barrette. I basically, I used the pony tail band method. If you use that method, clasp the looped hair with a big barrette just underneath your top loop. Try to cover the barrette with some extension hair by wrapping it around the barrette.

I also found a video on youtube that shows how to create Padme's battle bun. I kind of modified it to suit my needs. It's a good video. Here's the post of it on the Royalty/Senator forum: http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=372711#372711

I hope this helps. I'm not really good at trying to explain how to do updo's very well. Confused
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you so much for the tips im going to watch the video
Legion XO
Legion XO

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:49 pm    Post subject: :) Reply with quote

I actually achieve the Padme Arena hairstyle using my own hair and no extensions at all, and my hair length in the back reaches right at my bra strap, not sure how long that actually is though, lol. I do the loops one loop at a time and pin it until all of my hair that is in the low ponytail has been pinned in loops, then, i use a mirror and see which loops need to be adjusted, and i do that until it looks right and i use a lot of hairspray to ensure that my hair wont move while im trooping. It would, however, be a lot more simple if i would go get a clip in hair piece perhaps so that i wouldnt have to mess with fixing my hair before a troop, lol. The trick is making your hair fix well and blend with the hairpiece that you use, if you have any length to your natural hair. I am able to blend my hair with my Padme Lake Dress hair piece quite well, to the point that most people truly believe its all my real hair. I did have that hairpiece styled by a wig artist in the French Quarter in New Orleans, who sells wigs and makeup. Very Happy That may be your best bet, to find a wig shop that is willing to style a hair piece for you.
Amadalia
www.facebook.com/PrincessSandy41280
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i looked at the local beauty store and they have 11 10 12 inch pony tail extensions
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: