Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=3a806c23c52251d6b022dbae7cc338fcMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Big Guy Jedi Boots

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Jedi Tutorials
View previous topic :: View next topic  
imwright1979 ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:08 am    Post subject: Big Guy Jedi Boots
Event: 20 Feb 2014

I have a problem. I am working on a generic Jedi costume and I am pretty sure I have almost everything but the proper foot wear. I’m a pretty stocky guy and I have big calves. I cannot find a pair of boots that are knee high and or will fit my upper lower leg. What are my options?

I was thinking either leggings, spats or gaiters. Are these legal and or which one or ones are more acceptable? I was either going with just wrapping my lower legs, over my boots, up to my knees. Could I wear something like the A-wing gaiters to cover up my boots?
Lauphen_Staar ()

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have sort of the same problem as you and my solution is going to be making leather shin spats that somehow cover the back, as well. That way they serve a function as "armor" but also can be custom-made to my calf size.
Amidalas (dawn bright)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 2 (View more...)
2013 Christmas Toys for Tots Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My husbands a BIG guy, HUGE calves! Huge feet (Size 13) I dealt with this issue when sewing his costume.

I took a pair of Funtasma boots, I unhitched a seam on one side and bought a small piece of pleather and cut it into a pizza shape, took my sewing machine and sewed it up both sides. The funtasmas are so cheap and the material so plyable I was able to run it though my cheapo sewing machine without issues.

Likewise I also did the opposite on a costume I made for a friend on his pair of Funtasmas. I took His in! ^.-

Heres some photos of my hubbys boots, you can see where i added the material, the color change is where it is

Hope this helps!

Amidala Invasion Gown Guide: http://queenamidalasabe.blogspot.com/
Jedi of Poker (Tim {T.J.} Balski)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look at this previous thread:

http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=41464&highlight=

I still feel the same way today. It's better to invest into a proper pair of boots than to go with a cheaper boot & modify it, only to have to replace it later.
The comfort of your feet will also depend on a better-quality boot....

So many of us have invested in JDOS boots and never looked back.
With proper care, JDOS boots will last you a lifetime. My boots are even featured in his facebook 2011 photo album; they were the first to feature a lace-up front for a better fit.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=172466842800421&set=pb.101155519931554.-2207520000.1392922521.&type=3&theater
Bushwhacker extraordinaire/Squad Leader
Phoenix 7

"Flattery will get you nowhere, but {for the sake of my fragile ego} please don't stop trying..."
Amidalas (dawn bright)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I and my hubby/friend could be add Odd case we just seem to not affected by bad shoes.
I think i spent 20.00 @ a thrift store on my costume boots. Since joining the Legion my husband has trooped 26 times in his boots, some of the troops had included SDCC (14 hrs for 4 days straight) and a number of 8 to 10 hr troops here and there. 3 parades: 2 of which were 2 miles, and if anyoes trooped a parade they know that 1 mile= 1 hour + 1 hour standing around before AND after a parade haha.
The photos above of the boot insides i just took. I dunno they have held up really well and are super comfortable. Maybe we are all just lucky?

Then at the same time, they are costume shoes. They arent for everyday wear after all Smile

I personally have used my boots for at least 100 hours worth of trooping ( i troop more often in dresses so I just dont wear boots haha!) But I do use them for my Vader, my Palpatine, my Jedi robes, my Revan and my Starkillers and I dunno.. no issues :/

But good boots are GOOD I agree. But hey. the costume boots (for me) work in a pinch. ^.-

PS- MY GOSH Those are beautiful boots you posted!!

Last edited by Amidalas (dawn bright) on Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
Jedi of Poker (Tim {T.J.} Balski)
Active Legion Member

CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amidalas wrote:
PS- MY GOSH Those are beautiful boots you posted!!
Thank you, Dawn; they certainly are... worth every damn penny.

I didn't even mention that the straps are removable, did I??? Another custom feature I dreamed up w/ Daniel... all 4 straps are removable (& combined w/ 2 sets of Obi & Ani spats), allowing for over 20 combinations of boot style.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=122616234452149&set=pb.101155519931554.-2207520000.1392922521.&type=3&permPage=1
Bushwhacker extraordinaire/Squad Leader
Phoenix 7

"Flattery will get you nowhere, but {for the sake of my fragile ego} please don't stop trying..."
rogue9607 (Nick)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard/seen great things about Daniel's boots, but my big hangup is the time required. I've wanted to go with him for both my generic Jedi as well as the costume I'm currently working on, but the wait time has always been 6-8 months from what I can tell and I guess I don't have the required patience. Smile

I'm in the same boat as Dawn's husband and friend in that the Funtasma boots don't bother me at all. I put a new insole in when I first got them, and haven't had a single problem. That's not to say I'm completely happy with them, but they serve their purpose. They're big on me, and I generally feel like I'm wearing flip flops rather than boots, the fit just doesn't look quite right (to me - nobody has ever mentioned it), they do look like pleather, and it's annoying to half of the Jedi order in the same boots as me... I've seen some good weathering work with them, but have yet to attempt it myself.

For reference, I've done consecutive full days at CVI and MegaCon, wandered all over DragonCon including the parade, SWW parades, running across stage at a symphony concert, and all the other smaller troops of wandering around.

You mentioned spats of sorts in the original post. I'm not a costume judge (my typical disclaimer), but I do not believe they're technically allowed per the standard. However, I do believe you could modify a boot/shoe to get the appropriate height as long as it's not obvious that you did it. Most of the time, it's the visual result that's judged, not the process to get it.

I just measured my Funtasma boots and the calf measurement is just over 18"
Mos Eisley Base XO
Mos Eisley Base  XO

Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious about how you took those boots in... was it a regular seam, right sides together? Grampy-Wan's boots are so loose, I'd like to take them in a little.
Amidalas (dawn bright)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just like how I took the boots out, i used a seam ripper to take the seam out then I carefully from the bottom to the top resewed the shoes. At the base I hand sewed it using upholstery thread and needle (it was to hard to get that close. I resewed the same holes that the original seam was in so it was really easy to sew. ^.^

Granny-Wan (Marie Cannon)
Mos Eisley Base XO
Mos Eisley Base  XO

Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amidalas wrote:
Just like how I took the boots out, i used a seam ripper to take the seam out then I carefully from the bottom to the top resewed the shoes. At the base I hand sewed it using upholstery thread and needle (it was to hard to get that close. I resewed the same holes that the original seam was in so it was really easy to sew. ^.^

Thank you! I'm going to try that! I have a leather needle for my machine, I'll probably use that.
Amidalas (dawn bright)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try and do as much as I can on a machine. but some of it is just down right impossible! XD

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Jedi Tutorials All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: