About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=3fa50134456eb09b7a4905b2482774fdMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

blaster question
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Orion Knight-Star (Alex McKeel)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:50 pm    Post subject: blaster question Reply with quote

I am putting the final touches on some of my pilot costume and im thinking what to use for a blaster. I can use a Rebel Blater but I can also make a blater from an old NES Light Gun. The question is which do you think I should use?
Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me, it all depends on how much it's going to be seen. Are you going to be putting it in a holster and frequently wearing it with your outfit? If so, I'd get something like a DL-44 or a DH-17.
If it's going to be "hidden" or not worn all that often, you could either go with a custom or a Star Wars one. Still, if it's going in a holster and being seen like that at all, I'd probably still go for a Star Wars weapon instead of a custom one.

I'm planning to put together a weapon myself, though I'm probably going to do a custom one. Mainly, I want something smaller than a DL-44 or DH-17, I want something I can put into a pocket because I don't think a holster would look good with my B-Wing outfit and I don't want to carry the weapon around all the time by hand.

B-wing Pilot - Anomid Jedi

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mastershane (Shane Gordon)
Archived Member Profile

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would try to go with something that you see from the movies. I use one like Luke/Han ESB, and I love it.

BobaFuss (Doug Cottrell)
Canadian Base CO
Canadian Base CO

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I carry the DH-17 blaster myself.

Rebel Legion Canadian Base C.O.
501st Legion Canadian Garrison G.M.L.
Okami Dai ()
Alpine Outpost CO
Alpine Outpost CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course you´re on the safe side using something seen in the movies as a rebel weapon. But:

- the DH-17 is an infantry weapon, maybe compared to a real worlds assault rifle or submachine gun, so it is too heavy for a "walking cause crashed" pilot.

- the DL-44 is a heavy blaster pistol (at least something like that according wookiepedia) and might be suitable for a pilot. Of course the DL-44 is very "recognisable" as used by the main charakters, but would you wear a belt with holster inside your cockpit? There´s a goof in ESB: When Luke enters his X-Wing after the Hoth disaster he doesn´t wear his blaster belt. When crawling out of the cockpit after "landing" on Dagobah he wears the belt.

From my personal experience I would always try to wear a pistol in the chest area or inside the flightsuit. When using a belt the most suitable place for the gun (when sitting in the cockpit) is between your legs, but in case of an emergency bail out a belt is too dangerous for getting stuck somewhere inside the cockpit and holding the pilot back.
So I agree with Alex when thinking of a small costum blaster, maybe small enough to be worn in a flightsuit pocket or a chest holster (like todays military pilots, but absolute non canon. Is also difficult when wearing the chestbox).
As I also try to stay as close to the movies as possible I thought of using a "stolen" imperial scoutblaster. Small, lightweight and seen in the movie. But thats just my idea...

Last point: If you want to use the blaster for another costume as well, e.g. RFT or hero costume, forget all above said and use whatever you have...
A-Wing Pilot
Jedi Knight
Locomotiva (Fabio)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure that somewhere in the Expanded universe, there are example of smaller handguns.
If you search hard enough, that's nothing you can't find in the EU.

In all, you may even inspire yourself on clone's pistols: boxy, not too big, definiteli sci-fi and somehow justifiable in-universe (leftovers of the old clone wars may end up in the rebel inventory)

One may question the use and carry of a weapon in itself: I suppose that, again, EU comics and novels give examples of pilots toting anything fron a noisy cricket to a bazooka.

But you'll really need one, trooping around dressed as a Pilot?
It may be useful to strike a "combat pose" for a photo, if there is any imps around.
I had a DH44 somewhere, but I didn't use it: I'll perfer some "thumb up" or "stand fas and look heroic" posture for photos with people, or sharing helmet with kids.
A softer, less aggressive stance that pointing guns around: some places had a strict weapon policy, and sometimes people may get offended by the "violence" (Ok, it's ridicolous, but some over-protective parents complained to the event managers, here and there)

Rebel Frequent Flyer: 81.230 Km (50,576 mi.) for SW conventions - and counting
JediXXL (Gil Guemes)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I carry the DH-17, mostly because that's what comes with most of the pilot figures...

DXO • RLSC

There is NO Orange Mafia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Frero Dyesai (Big Rob)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto! It's what I'm building!
Mastershane wrote:
I would try to go with something that you see from the movies. I use one like Luke/Han ESB, and I love it.

www.cloudcitygarrison.com
http://kashyyykbase.org/
Gius Maximus (Rich Heffernan)
Legion Council
Legion Council

Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One that may work for that purpose is Lando's gun from RotJ. We don't really get to see it, but he does carry it. Here are a couple examples:

http://media.photobucket.com/image/lando%20blaster/Z-man12/landogun.jpg

http://media.photobucket.com/image/lando%20blaster/schphgochi/Crix%2520Madine/billydauto2.jpg

http://media.photobucket.com/image/lando%20blaster/schphgochi/Crix%2520Madine/lando_calrissian.jpg
Obi Anne (Johanna Nybelius)
Active Legion Member

Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking that rebel pilots simply use whatever handweapons they are familiar with or can get their hands on. I'm using a Naboo blaster, that I originally got for my TPM Padmé battle outfit, together with a white holster that was inspired by her AOTC holster. I think it fits since I'm using Naboo symbols on my helmet as well.
Alpine Outpost CO
Alpine Outpost CO

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm thinking that rebel pilots simply use whatever handweapons they are familiar with or can get their hands on.

Exactly!
With your weapons joice you´re on the canon side, too.
As an alternative to the Scoutblaster I now found Leia´s Endor Blaster, I have to do some research on this. Does anybody have information or some pics of it?
A-Wing Pilot
Jedi Knight
Jedi Loreen (Lori Procopio)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okami Dai wrote:

As an alternative to the Scoutblaster I now found Leia´s Endor Blaster, I have to do some research on this. Does anybody have information or some pics of it?

Check the Royalty/Senatorial section, I'm sure there are pics of, and information about that blaster over there. Wink
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: blaster question Reply with quote

Orion knight-star wrote:
I am putting the final touches on some of my pilot costume and im thinking what to use for a blaster. I can use a Rebel Blater but I can also make a blater from an old NES Light Gun. The question is which do you think I should use?

Personally, I think you should stick to a star wars blaster, but one of my pilots in my squadron has a blaster made from a light gun and TBH it looks pretty good, but you need to mod the heck out of it so its not just a repainted light gun.
Rumble (Beth)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex, if you want a DL-44, let me know. I've got a partially modded but not completely painted toy one that would work great for trooping.
"Time for some thrilling heroics."
Tigerantilles (Gregor Sink)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also carry a DL44, because they're awesome. But I've always said it's whatever you would like to carry.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: