About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=3aaf7d486dd45a301c6cd49f262c8cd1Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Beginning a Chewbacca Project
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Hurricane Sandy Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For most stilts, that is a must!

Most stilts do not have the secure strapping that Skywalker stilts have for the foot area. I do not think they are as needed for Skywalker stilts, but I suppose you could try. If it were any other kind of stilt, I would highly recomend permanantly attaching the shoe to the stilt.

I know Matt P. has made that recomendation to me... more than once. Smile

Bob
WookieDiego (Sam)

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoloYT1300 wrote:
I know Matt P. has made that recomendation to me... more than once.

Hmm, something to ponder.

My mesh material should arrive any day. Do you have any recommendations for disguising the stilts under the suit? I thought about using some form of body suit to add overall size to my frame which might give me some room but it just doesn't seem right. As a few others have said in here "Chewy is one skinny wookiee" I feel like if I start padding up I will lose a big part of the character.
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Hurricane Sandy Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The downside to us short people (people not lucky enough to be 7 foot 3) is we are having to make decisions and compromises to pull off a costume like Chewbacca.

We have to decide if being tall is more important than being skinny, if height is more important than arm length.

Being a wookiee has a ton of advantage, with very few negatives. I have never heard comments of being to big, to fat, short arms or any of the concerns that come with making a wookiee.

The thing I focused on the most was the illusion. Which is what we do as costumers in general. We try to fool people into thinking we are something we are not. My trick is the ability to make people believe I am almost 8 foot tall.

It will sound biased coming from me, but not an event goes by were I do not hear people talk.... is he in stilts? or is he really that tall? My job is done if they have to ask. Is that his real voice or a recording? Its all me!

All about illusion and showmanship. Tilt of the head... and most people are blown away and unable to notice any flaws that exist with the costume.

This issue with stilts can be solved in many ways. I use snap on muscles to my chest shoulders, and thighs. The thighs IMO are the most important because it allows the material to remain tight on the thigh, and drape over the feet (where the stilt starts) without much notice what so ever. The downside is the legs are not as skinny.... there is not much that can be avoided by stilt users.

The other option is to go with platforms. You can get a skinnier look there, but the height may suffer... or you can end up with a big boot look.

Both have their bonuses and downsides... one must choose. Then its the illusion and selling it to the public.
Lumpy (Chris Blackstock)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, Bob.
You have to find what is comfortable and acceptable for you. I have the platforms that I had to make with rollerblade boots to get enough ankle support. It's worked just fine since I got it all together the right way (after several attempts, but I digress), but I do have really big feet. However, the one advantage to my style that I LOVE is the ability to bend down to see kids. I can actually squat down to give a kid a high 5 (or a hug if they wish) or to just not be so overwhenling to whem when as when I'm standing, which I couldn't do if MY actual knees were 2 or 3 feet off the ground. You find what you like and you go with it. Trust me, VERY few people are going to care when you are at an event.

PS - I also get a kick out of people asking if the Wookiee roar I do is really me. I actually get more people who assume the roar is a recording than I do who think my Vader voice is "enhanced" (which it isn't either).
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here man... when I first tried them on I was afraid I would fall b/c they're much higher than my old platform shoes. But once you get a rhythm they are quite stable, esp. with the "spring-action ankle".
I plan on padding them fairly thoroughly.

WookieDiego wrote:
My Skywalker Stilts arrived today! I just took them for a walk around the block. It is going to take some getting used to but I was surprised at how stable I felt.

If anyone has any tips on how to make them more comfortable I would appreciate it. I could see where spending a long time in them might get a bit painful if I don't make a few adjustments.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob and Chris,

Thank you so much for the advice and most importantly the perspective. I am dedicated to making a costume that is as authentic as possible but I had started to get a little wrapped up on these types of issues. I feel much more at ease now. I think I am going to start working on some sort of thigh pads so I can get the pants started and then go from there. I guess one of the benefits to doing a two piece suit is I don’t have to make a decision on the shoulder pads right away (although it seems like I will need them to remain in proportion.)

You guys have been very helpful! I appreciate how open you are with your advice and experiences, that is already making this a rewarding experience.
WookieDiego (Sam)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheNegotiator wrote:
Same here man... when I first tried them on I was afraid I would fall b/c they're much higher than my old platform shoes. But once you get a rhythm they are quite stable, esp. with the "spring-action ankle".
I plan on padding them fairly thoroughly.

I saw that you are starting on your feet and fitting everything with your pants. It is looking good, hopefully I will be looking at those same steps here in the near future.
The Wookster (Ben)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know your name but are you in the San Diego area? I was wondering because of your username "Wookiediego". I am also constructing a Chewie suit ( in San Diego ) and I bought all my hair from "Sally Beauty Supply" here in town. I'm 6'5 so obviously I won't need stilts but I'm making special boots with lifts to give me the extra height i need that will have toes attached at the bottom. Anyhow, good luck on your build.

~Ben
WookieDiego (Sam)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Wookster wrote:
Don't know your name but are you in the San Diego area?

Hi Ben,

I am in the San Diego Area, close to Rancho Penasquitos. Nice to know there is someone else in the area is working on a wookiee.

Thanks for saying hi.

Sam
WookieDiego (Sam)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WookieDiego wrote:
Thank you for the help and especially for the color chart, that really helps me visualize what I am going to be working with. I did find the #44 at ikickshins.com finally it just took a while to find where they had put it on the web page.

Can you offer any advice on the size of the purchase?

I'm considering:

60 - #27

40 - #44

10 - #4

10 - #6

Does that seem like I am in the neighborhood.

Thanks again for all the help!

Ok, I am about to make my purchase from IKickShins.com and I wanted to check with you all to make sure I am buying the correct stuff before I place a pretty large order.

I am buying 100% Kanekalon KK Jumbo Braid Hair. The description says it is 24" in length, 48" unfolded. (http://ikickshins.net/bulk.php ) It is the first item on this page.

Does that look right?

Thanks for the help

Sam
forestmoonstudio

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:47 pm    Post subject: Beginning a Chewbacca Project Reply with quote

You should get the all of the other colors from Texas beauty supply. CHEAPER $ and only get the #44 from Ikickshins. It will save you alot of money that way.
WookieDiego (Sam)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you,

Is this the right stuff?

http://texasbeautysupplies.com/siljumbraidh.html
The Wookster (Ben)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use "Black & Gold" Jumbo braid brand. Looks spot on and you can get it at North Park Beauty supply in SD (save on shipping too). Hope this helps bro.
WookieDiego (Sam)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ben,

I actually already purchased the "hair" online, hopefully it will arrive today or tomorrow. I will keep the other location in mind in case I need more.

Are you aware of any suppliers for the mask making materials in our area?

Now I just have to figure out some form of leg padding and I can start sweing up my mesh suit. I am excited to actually start making something.
The Wookster (Ben)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Sam, I purchased my under skull from a very talented artist which sould arrive in a month or so. Not cheap but worth every penny. i'm on a tight schedule to have my suit completed in time for Wondercon in April. I'm about half way done with the latch hooking so it works out perfect when the mask arrives. Others might be able to chime in and share where they purchased their stuff from.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: