About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=e8608009d1144624341e16475deb2ba9Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Beginning a Chewbacca Project
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WookieDiego (Sam)

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:05 am    Post subject: Beginning a Chewbacca Project Reply with quote

Hello,

It looks like I am yet another person starting a Chewbacca costume project. I still think I might be a little nuts to take this on but it looks like a lot of fun to me and surprisingly my wife is supportive of the idea.

I have gone back through the forum to read about others who have worked on their own costume. A big thank you to all those who have so openly shared their experience, knowing there are others out there to give advice and help me along is a big part of why I am willing to dive into this project. I also noticed there are several new threads on this subject. I don’t mean to be redundant but I have a few questions to help me get going and I didn’t want to hijack their posts. As I go along I will read their posts as well and try to keep the duplication to a minimum.

Admittedly this project scares me a little. I think the upside is that I am in no real rush so I can work at this slowly and methodically. Hopefully the lack of pressure will allow me to take my time and work at things until I achieve the result I am looking for. Right now my plan is to start at the bottom and work up. (Honestly because the mask is what scares me the most) I am interested to hear any advice you have.

So here is my first question. I am 5’ 11” I plan on using the Skywalker Stilts that many of you have mentioned to achieve the height I am looking for (5’11” + 15” of stilts + 4” of forehead and hair = 7’ 6”) As soon as the stilts arrive I am assuming I will need to begin sculpting the feet as my first task. I saw one post that showed the feet having a hollow cutout with the stilt going through the foot and contacting the ground directly. Has this design worked well? Does anyone have advice on this or other foot designs?

Also I am wondering about the mesh suit on the legs. Do you attach a short portion of mesh to the stilts permanently and then tie it in to the pants when you put the rest of your suit on or do you just make one piece long pants that go from your waist all the way to the feet?

Thank you to all who are willing to offer help, I look forward to talking to you soon.
Zaxmon (Ryan Ricks)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Beginning a Chewbacca Project Reply with quote

I can't answer the stilts question because I don't use them. But I can tell you that on *my* mask I only have 2 inches off the top of my head. So don't count on a certain height. I thought it would be 3-4 inches too, but nope.
WookieDiego (Sam)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Beginning a Chewbacca Project Reply with quote

Zaxmon wrote:
on *my* mask I only have 2 inches off the top of my head. So don't count on a certain height. I thought it would be 3-4 inches too, but nope.

Thank you for the information, I appreciate the help.

I am not really aiming for a certain height as of now just looking to get past the 7' mark in case I decide to seek "formal" status so I think that will still work out.

Thanks again for the input and please feel free to dispense any advice you, I am pretty new at this. The only real guidance I have is what you all who have gone before me have posted. Thankfully everyone is really helpful.
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Hurricane Sandy Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a thread from a while back...

These are my stilts with "the foot cut out"

http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13419&highlight=wookiee+feet

I have it set up so the feet do not flap at all, and allow for full range of movement thru the walk... just like a normal foot. It really confuses people when I walk in thinking its real feet... not just a flat footed walk.
WookieDiego (Sam)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the link.

I had seen the photos of your feet in another thread they seemed like the design I wanted to try. The list of steps you put in this thread will be very helpful.

If I may can I ask roughly how long the feet are. I did a rough sketch as I was trying to get this going, they came out to be about 12" long and 4" wide at the ball. I think that will be pretty much in proportion with the costume but it is hard to tell.

Thanks again for the help.
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Hurricane Sandy Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine are 17.5 inches long... and 7 inches at the width (ball).

My feet are based of the ROTJ feet. I stand about 7 foot 10 in costume.

Hope that helps
WookieDiego (Sam)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoloYT1300 wrote:
Mine are 17.5 inches long... and 7 inches at the width (ball).

My feet are based of the ROTJ feet. I stand about 7 foot 10 in costume.

Hope that helps

Thank you, that information is very helpful.

My stilts are on order and I am hoping to begin sculpting some feet soon following the directions in the thread you sent.
WookieDiego (Sam)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I ordered the mesh fabric for my suit from Collins Cottage yesterday and I have a pattern for the shirt / pants when it arrives. I have a few more questions if you can help:

- Chewbacca is pretty thin, do I need any sort of padding under the suit (ie the shoulders) to make it proportional or should I let it hang on my shoulders?

I am looking to order hair and found some information in other threads, I am planning on ordering from this web page (www.ikickshins.net ) can anyone suggest any other sites?

I would like more realistic look so I am planning on blending a few colors of brown together as a few of you recommended.

- Is the #27 the main base color for the lighter parts of Chewy that I can then add the #4 and #6 too?

- I can't seem to locate the #44 can someone offer an alternative color code or web site?

- what length hair should I buy?

As always I thank you all for your help.
forestmoonstudio

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:42 pm    Post subject: Beginning a Chewbacca Project Reply with quote

I just checked Texasbeautysupply.com and it looks like they no longer carry the #44. That is where I got mine from.
Here is a good color chart http://www.bnghair.com/v/vspfiles/photos/colorchart.pdf
You could always get #51 and mix #6 with it. I think the #44 is those two mixed anyway.
WookieDiego (Sam)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the help and especially for the color chart, that really helps me visualize what I am going to be working with. I did find the #44 at ikickshins.com finally it just took a while to find where they had put it on the web page.

Can you offer any advice on the size of the purchase?

I'm considering:

60 - #27

40 - #44

10 - #4

10 - #6

Does that seem like I am in the neighborhood.

Thanks again for all the help!
Lumpy (Chris Blackstock)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks about right.
Best of luck to you!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you!
WookieDiego (Sam)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had to celebrate a little.

My Skywalker Stilts arrived today! I just took them for a walk around the block. It is going to take some getting used to but I was surprised at how stable I felt.

If anyone has any tips on how to make them more comfortable I would appreciate it. I could see where spending a long time in them might get a bit painful if I don't make a few adjustments.
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would take some soft fabric and wrap them around the calf strap so your not dealing with the strap cutting into you. You could also make a slip on fabric cover that goes over your calf... before you ratchet strap in. That way you have fabric between you and the strap. I suppose you could even use a foam to build up that area as well.

The other thing I have noticed with those stilts is that you need to adjust the spring to yourself. When I first started wearing the stilts I had not adjusted them properly and I kept listing forward due to the lack of spring tention. I over compensated with my back to remain standing straight that first troop, and I was sore for a few hours. Once I adjusted the spring to a more durable setting I havnt had issues since.

Hope that helps.
WookieDiego (Sam)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That does help Robert, Thank you very much!

I spent a little more time adjusting the stilts before I went on a second walk and they seem a lot better. I also switched from a tennis shoe to a low top boot and that seems to keep the ankle strap from digging in.

I read somewhere, and I can't find it again, about someone who attached their shoe to the stilt in order to make it more comfortable. Has anyone tried that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: