About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=30fca0bf5731bb66eb13b0c8ac42d126Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

commpad app coming for the iPhone and iTouch
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mosi ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:48 am    Post subject: commpad app coming for the iPhone and iTouch Reply with quote

My buddy and I (mostly him doing the coding) have been developing a cool commpad app that can be worn with any costume that features a commpad in the left sleeve pocket ... pilots, crew, IN troopers, gunners, etc.

It's not quite ready yet, but we figured we would get a buzz going now before it launches in 2-4 weeks.

We just made some quick vids today... watch them in order

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjWnACeuvLY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxyABRG_Y5Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8eeeqLedEo

Also, this is not meant to replace the current commpad for costume approval or movie canon events.

Last edited by Mosi () on Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's pretty neat I must admit, but it seems like it would look a little awkward for costuming, because of it being 2D and all. It would look like you're wearing a flat screen on your arm.
It seems like it would be neater just to rig up a sound effects gizmo onto an actual commpad prop, and being able to press the buttons for different sounds. That way you'd still have the molded, 3D commpad on your costume.

But it's an interesting app. How people make things like that is beyond me. Razz

B-wing Pilot - Anomid Jedi

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mosi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue Banshee Leader wrote:
That's pretty neat I must admit, but it seems like it would look a little awkward for costuming, because of it being 2D and all. It would look like you're wearing a flat screen on your arm.
It seems like it would be neater just to rig up a sound effects gizmo onto an actual commpad prop, and being able to press the buttons for different sounds. That way you'd still have the molded, 3D commpad on your costume.

But it's an interesting app. How people make things like that is beyond me. Razz

I agree on a couple of points... but this will cost .99-1.99 (not sure yet) and will be something cool that the kids can interact with w/o us having the fear of wrecking a real commpad rigged for sound. A hopped up commpad would be the ultimate, but it would also take quite a bit of time and little parts to rig one up.
Mastershane (Shane Gordon)
Archived Member Profile

Medals: 2 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want it. Maybe not to wear with my costume, but cool.
WedgeAntilles (James Norman)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks fun. I hope you can get it cleared through itunes.
HazardThree (Jon Paulson)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty ingenious. Needs less laser/swooping sounds though and more actual comm sounds.

I know a lot of pilots will probably like this. Too bad I don't have a smartphone. Crying or Very sad

(Oh, and for all you would-be pilots considering this ... While it's fun, no it won't pass Costume Standards for submission. Sorry.)

Mosi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HazardThree wrote:
Pretty ingenious. Needs less laser/swooping sounds though and more actual comm sounds.

I know a lot of pilots will probably like this. Too bad I don't have a smartphone. Crying or Very sad

(Oh, and for all you would-be pilots considering this ... While it's fun, no it won't pass Costume Standards for submission. Sorry.)

The final product should allow you to map whatever sounds you want, be it comm or pew-pew lazer beams! Very Happy

I just added a disclaimer that this won't fly for movie canon events, which are pretty few and far between with our particular garrison/base.
Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mosi wrote:

I agree on a couple of points... but this will cost .99-1.99 (not sure yet) and will be something cool that the kids can interact with w/o us having the fear of wrecking a real commpad rigged for sound. A hopped up commpad would be the ultimate, but it would also take quite a bit of time and little parts to rig one up.

Hmm... You know, I wonder if it would be possible to rig up a commpad to fit over an iPhone? So when you press a button on the commpad it would press a "button" on the screen. Hmm...

Still, I don't have an iPhone anyway. But it's a thought. Would give a cheaper way of rigging up a sound pad, and would probably be acceptable by the RL. Razz
Well, cheaper assuming you already have an iPhone.

B-wing Pilot - Anomid Jedi

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-

Last edited by Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch) on Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
HazardThree (Jon Paulson)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mosi wrote:
I just added a disclaimer that this won't fly for movie canon events, which are pretty few and far between with our particular garrison/base.

Thanks Mosi, I was just envisioning what I'd be seeing in the costume queue if I didn't say something. Better safe than sorry.

Kievan Mereel (Sam Coulson)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew somebody would do this eventually. I'd pay .99 for it.

The new Juno Eclipse costume from Force Unleashed II has her wearing an iPhone-type thing on her left arm as well. Still need to get some good reference pictures though.
Mosi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue Banshee Leader wrote:
Mosi wrote:

Hmm... You know, I wonder if it would be possible to rig up a commpad to fit over an iPhone? So when you press a button on the commpad it would press a "button" on the screen. Hmm...

Still, I don't have an iPhone anyway. But it's a thought. Would give a cheaper way of rigging up a sound pad, and would probably be acceptable by the RL. Razz
Well, cheaper assuming you already have an iPhone.

The overlay could be done in rubber, but there would need to be electrostatic capable contacts on the bottom of the overlay. You could probably just fashion up a slip on sleeve to hold in place. The contacts would also have to be recessed so they aren't touching the screen, unless pushed.
Anasian Skywalker (Dale Tolosa)
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wish there was a way to adapt the iphone earbuds/mic to look like ones for pilots since the cord is already white. That way, we could actually use our phones while wearing our helmets.

Also, will there be a way to actually make a call using the app?Disguise a button to go in Speaker mode and/or make certain buttons on the com pad to match a key pad for a phone ?

"Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do." - Bruce Lee
https://www.facebook.com/TedTheEwoksGeekyAdventures
cloudstrife7 ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea. Should make it for Android as well. Cool
pal05 ()

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is pretty good and I'm sure many apple user will download this app.
samsw ()
Active Legion Member

Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cloudstrife7 wrote:
Great idea. Should make it for Android as well. Cool

x2 Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: