About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards
 

Forum and Costume Controls

   FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=30fca0bf5731bb66eb13b0c8ac42d126Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

       
REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

commpad app coming for the iPhone and iTouch
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Mosi ()
Active Legion Member


Joined: 03 Nov 2009
Posts: 129

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:48 am    Post subject: commpad app coming for the iPhone and iTouch Reply with quote

My buddy and I (mostly him doing the coding) have been developing a cool commpad app that can be worn with any costume that features a commpad in the left sleeve pocket ... pilots, crew, IN troopers, gunners, etc.

It's not quite ready yet, but we figured we would get a buzz going now before it launches in 2-4 weeks.

We just made some quick vids today... watch them in order

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjWnACeuvLY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxyABRG_Y5Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8eeeqLedEo

Also, this is not meant to replace the current commpad for costume approval or movie canon events.


Last edited by Mosi () on Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge


Joined: 05 Jul 2008
Posts: 2357
Location: Portland, OR, USA
Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's pretty neat I must admit, but it seems like it would look a little awkward for costuming, because of it being 2D and all. It would look like you're wearing a flat screen on your arm.
It seems like it would be neater just to rig up a sound effects gizmo onto an actual commpad prop, and being able to press the buttons for different sounds. That way you'd still have the molded, 3D commpad on your costume.

But it's an interesting app. How people make things like that is beyond me. Razz
_________________

B-wing Pilot - Anomid Jedi

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mosi ()
Active Legion Member


Joined: 03 Nov 2009
Posts: 129

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue Banshee Leader wrote:
That's pretty neat I must admit, but it seems like it would look a little awkward for costuming, because of it being 2D and all. It would look like you're wearing a flat screen on your arm.
It seems like it would be neater just to rig up a sound effects gizmo onto an actual commpad prop, and being able to press the buttons for different sounds. That way you'd still have the molded, 3D commpad on your costume.

But it's an interesting app. How people make things like that is beyond me. Razz


I agree on a couple of points... but this will cost .99-1.99 (not sure yet) and will be something cool that the kids can interact with w/o us having the fear of wrecking a real commpad rigged for sound. A hopped up commpad would be the ultimate, but it would also take quite a bit of time and little parts to rig one up.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mastershane (Shane Gordon)
Archived Member Profile


Joined: 30 Mar 2003
Posts: 861

Medals: 2 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want it. Maybe not to wear with my costume, but cool.
_________________
What's the matter Col. Sanders? Chicken?!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
WedgeAntilles (James Norman)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge


Joined: 01 Sep 2009
Posts: 3020
Location: Orland Park, IL
Medals: 2 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks fun. I hope you can get it cleared through itunes.
_________________
James Norman
Rebel Pilot Costume Judge
TK-8114-MWG
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
HazardThree (Jon Paulson)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge


Joined: 20 Dec 2005
Posts: 4783
Location: Los Angeles, CA USA
Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty ingenious. Needs less laser/swooping sounds though and more actual comm sounds.

I know a lot of pilots will probably like this. Too bad I don't have a smartphone. Crying or Very sad

(Oh, and for all you would-be pilots considering this ... While it's fun, no it won't pass Costume Standards for submission. Sorry.)
_________________
Jon Paulson • Cmdr. Tag "HazardThree" Greenly
SXO Hazard Squadron • DCO RLSC (Pilot Detachment)
Legion Costume Judge - Pilots

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Mosi ()
Active Legion Member


Joined: 03 Nov 2009
Posts: 129

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HazardThree wrote:
Pretty ingenious. Needs less laser/swooping sounds though and more actual comm sounds.

I know a lot of pilots will probably like this. Too bad I don't have a smartphone. Crying or Very sad

(Oh, and for all you would-be pilots considering this ... While it's fun, no it won't pass Costume Standards for submission. Sorry.)


The final product should allow you to map whatever sounds you want, be it comm or pew-pew lazer beams! Very Happy

I just added a disclaimer that this won't fly for movie canon events, which are pretty few and far between with our particular garrison/base.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge


Joined: 05 Jul 2008
Posts: 2357
Location: Portland, OR, USA
Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mosi wrote:


I agree on a couple of points... but this will cost .99-1.99 (not sure yet) and will be something cool that the kids can interact with w/o us having the fear of wrecking a real commpad rigged for sound. A hopped up commpad would be the ultimate, but it would also take quite a bit of time and little parts to rig one up.


Hmm... You know, I wonder if it would be possible to rig up a commpad to fit over an iPhone? So when you press a button on the commpad it would press a "button" on the screen. Hmm...

Still, I don't have an iPhone anyway. But it's a thought. Would give a cheaper way of rigging up a sound pad, and would probably be acceptable by the RL. Razz
Well, cheaper assuming you already have an iPhone.
_________________

B-wing Pilot - Anomid Jedi

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-


Last edited by Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch) on Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
HazardThree (Jon Paulson)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge


Joined: 20 Dec 2005
Posts: 4783
Location: Los Angeles, CA USA
Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mosi wrote:
I just added a disclaimer that this won't fly for movie canon events, which are pretty few and far between with our particular garrison/base.


Thanks Mosi, I was just envisioning what I'd be seeing in the costume queue if I didn't say something. Better safe than sorry.
_________________
Jon Paulson • Cmdr. Tag "HazardThree" Greenly
SXO Hazard Squadron • DCO RLSC (Pilot Detachment)
Legion Costume Judge - Pilots

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Kievan Mereel (Sam Coulson)
Active Legion Member


Joined: 25 May 2007
Posts: 310
Location: Herndon, VA
Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew somebody would do this eventually. I'd pay .99 for it.

The new Juno Eclipse costume from Force Unleashed II has her wearing an iPhone-type thing on her left arm as well. Still need to get some good reference pictures though.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Mosi ()
Active Legion Member


Joined: 03 Nov 2009
Posts: 129

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue Banshee Leader wrote:
Mosi wrote:


I agree on a couple of points... but this will cost .99-1.99 (not sure yet) and will be something cool that the kids can interact with w/o us having the fear of wrecking a real commpad rigged for sound. A hopped up commpad would be the ultimate, but it would also take quite a bit of time and little parts to rig one up.


Hmm... You know, I wonder if it would be possible to rig up a commpad to fit over an iPhone? So when you press a button on the commpad it would press a "button" on the screen. Hmm...

Still, I don't have an iPhone anyway. But it's a thought. Would give a cheaper way of rigging up a sound pad, and would probably be acceptable by the RL. Razz
Well, cheaper assuming you already have an iPhone.


The overlay could be done in rubber, but there would need to be electrostatic capable contacts on the bottom of the overlay. You could probably just fashion up a slip on sleeve to hold in place. The contacts would also have to be recessed so they aren't touching the screen, unless pushed.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Anasian Skywalker (Dale Tolosa)
Base Membership Officer


Joined: 23 Jun 2003
Posts: 456
Location: SF BAY AREA PENINSULA
Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wish there was a way to adapt the iphone earbuds/mic to look like ones for pilots since the cord is already white. That way, we could actually use our phones while wearing our helmets.

Also, will there be a way to actually make a call using the app?Disguise a button to go in Speaker mode and/or make certain buttons on the com pad to match a key pad for a phone ?
_________________


"Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do." - Bruce Lee
https://www.facebook.com/TedTheEwoksGeekyAdventures
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
cloudstrife7 ()
Rebel Legion Reserve


Joined: 03 Mar 2011
Posts: 130
Location: WI
Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea. Should make it for Android as well. Cool
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
pal05 ()



Joined: 04 Apr 2013
Posts: 1

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is pretty good and I'm sure many apple user will download this app.
_________________
spy info for Blackberry
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
samsw ()
Active Legion Member


Joined: 01 Oct 2007
Posts: 150

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cloudstrife7 wrote:
Great idea. Should make it for Android as well. Cool

x2 Very Happy
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot post calendar events in this forum
The Rebel Legion is a worldwide Star Wars costuming organization comprised of and operated by Star Wars fans. While not sponsored by Lucasfilm Ltd., it is Lucasfilm's preferred volunteer Rebel costuming group. Star Wars, its characters, costumes, and all associated items are the intellectual property of Lucasfilm. © 2014 Lucasfilm Ltd. & ™ All rights reserved. Used under authorization.


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group