About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=ca49140a909f216e3e3631b0d29848b8Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

"At last we have the mighty Chewbacca!"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheNegotiator (Derek Struchtemeyer)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:38 am    Post subject: "At last we have the mighty Chewbacca!" Reply with quote

OK, so I've decided to document my attempts to improve upon perfection, i.e. Jason's/"Tatooineboy's amazing Chewbacca... which I guess is now my Chewbacca. Still can't believe my good fortune. Very Happy
Here is what I'm going for: The Empire Strikes Back version...

And here is our Chewie after a few "stylings" by yours truly. Haven't thinned any facial hair as of this date.

Amazing work Jason!

Now, with the mask on so we can take a look at the eyes...

I personally don't think my eyes are visible enough, sometimes not at all.
Either I need to cut more of the dragonskin out of the eyes to "open up" the eye sockets, or my eyes are not close enough to the front of the mask... or both.
Also, I think the hair needs to be "matted" more... and the mustache thinned.
Thoughts? Opinions? Suggestions?
Thanks my friends!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you might have to cut some of the underskull away to open up the eye sockets a bit more.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dougie Fett wrote:
Looks like you might have to cut some of the underskull away to open up the eye sockets a bit more.

Dave, I think you're right. It also will help my eyes get closer to the front of the mask I think. Thanks.
A garrison mate suggested to add color to the lips and I like that idea, perhaps some tan/brown. Any suggestions for painting/coloring latex?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheNegotiator wrote:
Dougie Fett wrote:

Dave, I think you're right. It also will help my eyes get closer to the front of the mask I think. Thanks.
A garrison mate suggested to add color to the lips and I like that idea, perhaps some tan/brown. Any suggestions for painting/coloring latex?

Are sure it's latex? If it's a Duck mask (which I think it is) it's more than likely Dragon skin. That is a type of silicone and needs to be painted with silicone pigments, unfortunately nothing else will stick to silicone except silicone!! And they need to be mixed with silicone before applying

I hear that FuseFX are a good brand http://www.fusefx.ca/mfseries.html.

Here is a tutorial done with an airbrush mostly but it will give you an idea of what's involved http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPeTb-jqYkw

There will also be the added pain of avoiding the hair, although you can always redo the hairline.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right again Dave! It is a Duck mask with dragonskin and I guess therefore silicon.
I wonder if I can get silicon pigments here in the States, like at Michael's... hmm...
Thanks again Dave!
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, we had a thread on paints for Silicones and what not... check it out.... I also know I left a link or twon in the thread taking you right to a vendor who sells both pigments and the correct silicones to paint with (yes... there is a difference!)

Read about Sicone paints
Pigments
Psycho Paint

I would also take in the chin area a bit...do not be afraid to use hair pins and hair spray! The only way you are going to get the definition that chewie has is by using these things. Right now as it stands, your chin looks to be (I'm ignorant) than your forehead, which should be the other way around. I think by pinning the hair back under the chin and maybe even on the sides you will start to get that look you are going after.

I also have a thread that shows a little on the bobby pins a few pics down in the thread... may be worth a look to help you understand what I mean about bringing the chin out...

Bobby Pins and Hair spray

2 cents... and good luck!

Bob
Zaxmon (Ryan Ricks)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend FuseFX and Psycho paints. Both are excellent and if you have the budget for those, you should do it.

However, an alternate method that I have tried is to use clear silicone sealant and thin it to a desired consistency (real thin if using an airbrush) with orderless mineral spirits. Add regular oil paints to pigment.

Use a hair dryer to speed up the curing process if needed.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. Thanks Bob and Ryan. I'm going to play around with some of these techniques and post up some progress pics in the near future. Very Happy
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would start by removing some of the hair around the eyes and stach and fill in the gap a little, it would make a lot of difference. I'm in the process of my Chewie build. Good luck
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all; your input means a lot to me!
So I did a lot of thinning of the hair nearly all over the mask.
Also was able to find a liquid latex I had lying around from weathering my Fett, art masking fluid...

and mixed it with some acrylic paint and water...

and BOOM BABY! I was able to give the lips a more natural, screen-accurate tone; it dried fine with no flaking or peeling.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Still working on the eyes (although I've opened them up a lot), narrowing the mustache (although I thinned it a lot), and styling. Stay tuned...
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's looking really good! Keep up the good work!

Tabitha: a daughter, big sister, screenwriter, costumer, seamstress.
Zaxmon (Ryan Ricks)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes a big difference, doesn't it?
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zaxmon wrote:
Makes a big difference, doesn't it?

You said it Ryan.
At this point I compare this project to weathering a sandtrooper... it is definitely a process that is coming along in stages... snip, snip/thin, thin; groom/style; spray water/spray hairspray; groom/style; place bobby pins; wait a few days; repeat. Razz I assume someday I'll get to where I'm satisified and then use some of the heavy duty industrial strength hair spray some of the other Wooks talk about to "freeze the look". Laughing
P.S. Guess which Wookiee got Skywalker stilts for Christmas... ? Shocked Dance Chewie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: