About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=e3c7f3e8d57e12ace370434c03b31542Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Wookiee
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shy-ted72 ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:39 pm    Post subject: Wookiee Reply with quote

Hi Guys,
Yes itís potentially yet another wookiee. Iíve been toying with the idea for over a year now and I keep getting the wookiee bug back. Living in the Isle of Man (UK) and there been nothing like this anywhere other than a couple of troopers and clones and there all my friends any way just makes it even more appealing, so think itís time to start.

Iíve followed pretty much all the builds on here and RPF, and have to say there are some talented people around if I can even come close to any of the costumes on here I would be over the moon.

I want to start with just the head (plus feet to get the height and proportions right) as I feel that been the most important part I can pull this off the rest of the suit will follow and if not at least I will have a cracking display piece.

Iím 6 foot average build so any advice on target height greatly appreciated Iím thinking 7í2?

Also how many bags does it take on average to cover the head alone, I donít have much expendable income on a monthly basis so if I can buy the items I need for each section, and it would help me out in the purchasing department. Sure you are all sick to death of these types of questions and it may look like Iím a half hearted builder but I canít get rid of the bug so at least want to make an attempt.

I hear #27, #4 and #44 thrown around alot and sometimes #6 and #8. Any hints on how much of each and whether I should look at any other colours for the head section for starters.

Also been a little claustrophobic a life cast really doesnít appeal, Iím alright in my clone bucket knowing I can just lift it off so the final mask doesnít worry me. Can I use a standard mannequin head as a base for my under skull sculpt think I have a fairly small head and I know these can be under sized. Any other tips on avoiding a life cast would be fantastic.

Really appreciate any help and looking forward to hopefully been the only wookiee on my little Island.

Cheers
trickysix989 (Kym)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome to hear that you're taking on the wookie challenge! I'm in the final stages of finishing mine up, however, I'm always gonna be touching it up here and there. As far as colors go, I hear lots of different schemes used. Me personally I just went with #27 and #2730A and used just those two as my mix. But again it all comes down to personal preference in a way. As far as how many bags needed to do the mask? I really didn't keep count (I guess I should have) but with so much hair floating around all over the place it was hard to keep track for me. As for the mask, To get a snug fitting underskull the best way is to do a whole head cast. I know you're claustrophobic so it definitely wouldn't work for you because you really can get quite panicky under there. And the last thing you want is to go through all the steps and have it not set because you had to duck out. It would be a big waste of time and money. But ideally a cast is the most accurate way. You could try taking various measurements of your head (eye width, nose, head diameter etc) and building up clay on a bust, but the accuracy may be off.
Dougie Fett ()

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think a headcast is essential!

As long as the eye sockets of the underskull are relatively tight fitting to your head, u will get away with it.

U can always add foam padding inside to conform to your face.
Zaxmon (Ryan Ricks)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I used 2 dark and 2 light packages of hair on the mask. Getting a bit extra is a good idea, you never know what might happen.
shy-ted72 ()

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers guys its a starting point atleast i'll get some supplies and start sculpting. This is all new to me but its good to know there are talented people here that are willing to give out good advice.

Cheers
shy-ted72 ()

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again,

Unfortunately not much progress on my mask none of my supplies have arrived yet, the down side of living on an Island. But have been doing research and going through as much source material, trying to find items that maybe of use in the coming build. I came across these and was wondering what everyone thought of the potential of these false teeth? I think they have potential even if they do need some slight modding like the flattening of the outer 2 centre teeth on the top row. But they have 4 centre teeth top and bottom and the inner canine is on the bottom as it should and sizing doesnít look to far off but Iím no expert. Whatís everyone think hereís the link http://www.spacemonkeys.co.uk/product-details.asp?id=87

Cheers
Zaxmon (Ryan Ricks)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what direction you are going with your mask, but Chewie's teeth are a part of the underskull, not in your own mouth. Unless you meant attaching them to the underskull. The teeth I made are about twice as wide as my own teeth, with the teeth about 25% larger than human teeth.

http://chewiechanga.blogspot.com/2010/10/teeth.html
Masterbean (Brian Bean)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

since they're a veneer style, they would work for either wearing them or installing them into the mask. I'd say they're in bad need of a brush...but I like the overall look.
Dougie Fett ()

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used those exact ones for my Thade costume, they might be a little too small for a wookiee.
shy-ted72 ()

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yer the thought would have been to put them into the under skull but thanks for the hints on sizing
shy-ted72 ()

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So my clay has arrived and just trying to work out the best way to move ahead. I've seen a number of WIP builds but the transistion of underskull and skin layer always seems to be missing parts.
suppose what i'm asking is whats worked for everyone else starting with the under skull and then building the skin layer from that. Sculpting the final likeness moulding and then removing clay or adding clay to the inside of mould to reduce and produce the underskull.
Just looking for any good advice on where to start really.

Cheers
Zaxmon (Ryan Ricks)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what I did: http://chewiechanga.blogspot.com/2010/10/casting-face.html
Dougie Fett ()

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shy-ted72 wrote:
So my clay has arrived and just trying to work out the best way to move ahead. I've seen a number of WIP builds but the transistion of underskull and skin layer always seems to be missing parts.
suppose what i'm asking is whats worked for everyone else starting with the under skull and then building the skin layer from that. Sculpting the final likeness moulding and then removing clay or adding clay to the inside of mould to reduce and produce the underskull.
Just looking for any good advice on where to start really.

Cheers

I would recommend you get this DVD before you begin, the second one on the page! http://www.daniele-tirinnanzi.com/store.php

It's well worth the money and exactly the same principles can be applied to a wookiee mask.
shy-ted72 ()

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Already ordered just waiting for it to arrive highly recommended all arounded the various forums.

Cheers
shy-ted72 ()

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I started my attempt at sculpting today. If people are willing can you check out some of these photos and give me your opinions any tips or alterations. It is still very rough and realise there still a lot of work to be done on it.

Don't laugh to hard at it, it is my first time trying any form of sculpting so any general tips also would be great.

Here's the link http://yfrog.com/mssnc12369j

Cheers[/img]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: