About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=3bb35811cecf64bba899919132c0ab49Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Hello
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Mos Eisley Base -> Mos Eisley Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdublade (Mark Chittenden)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:01 pm    Post subject: Hello Reply with quote

Hello out there, I'm Mark "Marcus" Chittenden. Imperial Crewman in the 501st, Mouse Droid owner and Rebel Fleet Trooper in the works. I live in Phoenix, and prolly have more enthusism than ability. I figured a RFT would be a good starting costume to join the Rebel Legion. I found plenty of reference resources on the web on making the costume, but the one thing no one seems to agree on is how many and what size pockets go on the vest. Anyone care to toss a few helptul hints/recommendations my way?
fleet_trooper ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 4 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:16 pm    Post subject: hello Reply with quote

Hello Mark and welcome to the Rebellion again the Empire! and welcome to Mos Eisley base my friend. I will be more than happy to help you out with your RFT Very Happy
Zen Solo ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, the RFT vest is one of those things in Star Wars where you see many people wearing slightly different things. As long as you get the swat shirt with the 4 pockets on the front you should be good to go. You can add additional pockets on the back if you want but it is not required for approval.

Lee maybe it's time we have a Sarlaac Squad workshop. I know we have a couple more RFTs out there who have been working on their costumes for over a year now. Could also be a good time for you to bring us up to speed on the Endor Trooper.

Lady Jedi Carenix ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDIT : Heidi beat me to posting first. Laughing

The easiest way to do the RFT vest is to buy a black BDU shirt and use a seam ripper to take off the sleeves and collar, and viola, you have the black RFT vest. Wink

http://www.campingsurvival.com/blaculforbdu.html

Otherwise, you need four pockets on the vest (a pocket on the back of the vest is optional). The top pockets on my vest measure approximately 5 inches (horizontal) by 6 & 3/4 inches (vertical). The bottom pockets measure approximately 6 & 1/2 inches (horizontal) by 7 & 1/2 inches (vertical).

I recommend buying a BDU shirt and taking off the sleeves/collar more than doing a scratch build of the vest (unless you have lots of black fabric and lots of time on your hands).

"Curiosity has gotten me into trouble all my life." -Aischros, Baltimore, or, The Steadfast Tin Soldier and the Vampire

*Cricket, Cricket*
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:57 am    Post subject: BDU shirt -> Vest conversion Reply with quote

Well, I got the black bdu shirt and took off the sleeves and collar already, but was confused about if I had to redo the pockets or not. Since leaving the pockets as is would be approvable, they're staying and one more piece is finished. Now, where can I find a pattern for the (blue) shirt bib? I'm not very good at eye-balling an image and trying to work up a pattern from scratch.

Also, if this needs to be moved to an appropriate topic/sub-forum, go right ahead. After all, I'm still just a newbie to all this Smile
DroidWelder ()

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you signed on to the Tantive yahoo group yet?

http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/tantive/?yguid=153358850

Phyllis has some decent tutorials and costume info posted in the files section there.

David L.
PhxEris ()

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: RFT shirt Reply with quote

Hi and welcome!! I bought two of the chambray shirts and then used the back of one for the bib

Hope this helps
Lady Jedi Carenix ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the Sunrider Base tutorial for making my bib:

http://www.sunriderbase.com/RFT_Tutorial/

Has nice pictures, easy to follow directions. Smile

"Curiosity has gotten me into trouble all my life." -Aischros, Baltimore, or, The Steadfast Tin Soldier and the Vampire

*Cricket, Cricket*
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link to the sunriderbase tutorial. That always comes up in my websearch, but for some unknown reason the web search links never worked.
Zen Solo ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the sunrider tutorial as well. To me the hardest and most important part of the shirt if you want to have it look good and not look like a disco shirt is getting the top of the snap in piece lined up with the collar when it's closed. Get it lined up correctly and then attach it however, most of that will be covered up by the vest anyway.

Sounds like you are well on your way! I'll be wearing my RFT to the bookmans thing this weekend if you want to take a closer look. I went as far as to make my slaves canon. Mr. Green

I bet Bry could make your holster and belt for a reasonable price as well!

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woo hoo! According to UPS tracking, my helmet kit should be arriving today.

The belt was actually the first piece I'm completed - just a matter of getting a proper looking buckle, belt blank, dye and a leather hole puncher. Well within my limited skills. Almost have the vest finished - kinda ran into a embarrassing snag - ran out of black thread and just haven't had the chance to hit the store yet. Painting the Hasbro Rebel Trooper Blaster will be completed this weekend. From what I've seen, the holster looks simple in design, however I don't have the crafting resources (leather working tools etc, but I do have the dye to make it match the belt), so I'm interested in contacting someone to commission one for me.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my helmet kit. Now, who has a workshop and tools and the willingness to help me get it assembled?
Zen Solo ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh no you didn't order the completed one!

I think its just a matter of screwing some things together isn't it?

DroidWelder ()

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the chatter on the Tantive yahoo gorup, he wants to have the helmet do double duty and be able to attach/detach the details so it can also be used for a rebel tech costume.

David L.
David12 ()

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there,this is David,glad to join this forum and glad to meet you here,I look forward to getting some inspiration and getting to know all of you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Mos Eisley Base -> Mos Eisley Archive All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: