About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=ca1933f697d781cbd83fc84071621db2Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

B-Wing Pilot Outfit & Helmet V2 (Lots of Images)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, alright. I think I understand. I think. Heh. Razz

I'm going to give vacuum forming a shot. After talking with the person who has a table today it sounds like it might be possible if the helmet is cut into thirds. I figure it's worth a try. If worst comes to worst I can just glue my clay helmet back together and fill in the seams with clay like I've done before.

B-wing Pilot - Anomid Jedi

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
GhostRider01 (Luis Alejandro Mendoza)

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome work on the helmet, very nice!

Formely Know as Sgt. Siul Azendom
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Smile

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Heatshock (Nathan Lim)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey mate - its heatshock from over on the RPF

thought I would post up here. vac forming sounds ok - worth considering.
however you were asking abt molding and potentially slush casting a lid?

check out these vid in particular
(1) general information, gets you used to the nomenclature too. http://www.smooth-on.com/media_video.php?category_id=1&category_name=Basics%20Of%20Moldmaking%20Videos
(2) 2-part molding (which is probably what you will need to do) - http://www.smooth-on.com/video_play.php?video_id=zLC71-04R2o&autoplay=1

the casting part is real easy - just use a technique known as slush casting - ie you pour a 2 part fast casting resin into the silicone mold and roll it round till it sets. Again - smooth on does products for this. Search you tube - loads of the HALO costumers have posted up tutorials on SLUSH CASTING.

one of THE best and most comprehensive tutorials on molding a lid is from my Detachment Cmdr over on Clonetroopers.net - http://forum.clonetroopers.net/index.php?showtopic=13676

Cost wise - depends on how much you think is expensive - It takes abt £80 ($120) for me to make a mold of a lid - I will show you the process in the next post.

Last edited by Heatshock (Nathan Lim) on Mon May 30, 2011 1:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Heatshock (Nathan Lim)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looking at your lid you got prob 2 ways to mold it -

it looks like you could get away with a glove mold. This is a one peice mold which follows the contour round the helmet. The silicone part is flexible, and you should be able to pull your cast off easily. Cos the silicone is soft - its need a "outer shell" to maintain its shape. This is called the mother mold - its usually made of fibreglass - but smooth on uses a product called plasti-dip instead.

the lids I make are too complicated for a simple glove mold

1st I decide where to split the helmet. Then I use clay to define the seam

mold registration keys - so teh 2 halves of the mold know where to lock onto

pour the silicone

then a fibreglass mother mold. note the raised bit - this is another registration key to make sure the silicone mold sits in the same position each time IN the FG mother mold.

repeat on the other side. Remove your master, re-assemble your mold - and do your casting Very Happy

I dont have a pic of my current WIP, but heres one of my clone pilot build

Heatshock (Nathan Lim)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a lot simpler and more logical then it looks once you have a go yourself.

I cant believe you cant get someone to walk you through this process in the US.

happy to skype you through it if thats any good?

Nate
Heatshock (Nathan Lim)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

on this isnt a precise comparison - but for making these "hollow shapes - a friend of mine builds up the sides so that you can get resin right in the corners

this is a cmdr cody visor made by a good mate of mine - Skuplinski on CT.net.

could give you an idea abt how to do it
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, thank you, much appreciated. I'm still not entirely clear about the process but I haven't looked at those tutorials you linked yet, so those may help. Though I think I get the basic gist of what you're describing.

And yeah, I don't know if there's anyone around here where I am (Portland, OR, USA) or not that could show me the first time. I've been asking around but I really haven't had much luck. Most suggestions I get are just "vacuum form it", but I'm just not so sure that it will work anyway. I think something like you suggested may work better, espeically with the smaller details on my helmet.

Thanks again. Smile

By the way, that is an awesome looking helmet in your pictures!

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
Heatshock (Nathan Lim)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers dude. I learnt mostly from chatting to various people
trial and error etc
the vid tutorials are a real eye opener
the most extreme solution is that I would be happy to mold it for yer and ship it back - but that would prob cost you a arm and a leg.

Nate
GotWookiee (Matt Pfingsten)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no real way to learn except trial and error. The videos and books are very helpful and essential, but they can only take you so far. You just have to jump in.

BityMoldSupply.Com has some great free videos on their YouTube channel and they sell some DVD's as well.
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, thanks. Smile

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So... I've made the first copy of my helmet. I'm fairly pleased with it all-in-all but it could be better. Not bad for a first try, though.
Believe it or not it's made out of paper mache. I coated my clay helmet with spray resin, two coats of a release agent, and covered it in Vaseline. Perhaps it was a bit overkill but I wanted to make darn sure it came off (some tests I did before ripped off some of the clay).
I had planned to "paint" the dried mache helmet with a layer or two of resin, and possibly build up the inside a little if needed with Bondo. Then I thought I would spray it down with an accurate off-white/light gray color of paint and finally spray that with more of the spray resin to protect it.
I've got all my supplies already but before I do that I think I'm going to make another helmet.
As I said, the helmet came out fairly well. But there were a few spots that didn't mold quite as well, or where the paper curled up a bit, so a paper bag may just be too thick. I'm going to try recycled newspaper next, which is thinner, and while it may not support its shape quite as well, that shouldn't be much of a problem once the resin (and Bondo if needed) are on it. But at least this proves that the idea does work. It just needs a little bit more fine tuning.

I didn't bother to trim the excess paper yet because I don't think I'll be using this version, or at least not yet.

While this probably isn't the "best" way to make the helmet it was the easiest way to make it with my current skill level. And it does for now while I explore other options (like slush molds and what-not).
I'm still thinking of selling these things off later on down the road, but first I need to perfect this a bit. Heck, yesterday it took me five hours just to put the mache all around the thing. With practice I should get faster and this should get easier.

So, yeah, just thought I'd post up a picture. Smile

P.S. Last week I realized that I accidentally threw away one of my greeblies-- one that took me forever to get perfect. Ugh. Now I have to make the stupid thing all over again, and boy am I dreading it.

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
Okami Dai ()
Alpine Outpost CO
Alpine Outpost CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking very nice, Alex!
Seems that you´ve found a way for cheaper helmet construction.
How thick is the paper mache?
Looking forward to see a painted version...
A-Wing Pilot
Jedi Knight
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okami Dai wrote:
Looking very nice, Alex!
Seems that you´ve found a way for cheaper helmet construction.
How thick is the paper mache?
Looking forward to see a painted version...

It's not very thick, just thick enough to support the shape. For the paper bag mache, anyway. I tried the newspaper mache today and I'm just waiting for it to dry to see how it turns out.
Either way it'll be thickened up with resin, and Bondo if it's needed.

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the paper mache didn't work after all. The newspaper was too thin and just fell about, and while the paper bag is strong enough, it takes much too long. I've made a few copies of the helmet so far and each one has taken me around five hours just to get the mache on. That's just too long and too frustrating.
Not to mention that the paper mache keeps curling up in places while it dries so I have yet to get a "perfect" copy. So the paper mache idea is out...

I've been looking at guides for the glove mold/cast idea, and it doesn't sound like it's all that difficult. But I'd really like to find someone I can meet up with and guide me through it the first time because I have no clue what I'm doing whatsoever when it comes to something like that. I've been asking around the Kashyyyk Base and Cloud City Garrison but so far I haven't been able to find anyone willing to lend a hand. So I'm not really holding my breath on that one, either.

And the person who was going to try and help me vacuum form it... Well, I haven't heard anything from them. I sent them a message around two or three weeks ago, haven't heard anything back. This happened to me once before with someone else who just disappeared off the face of the Earth.
While I don't think vacuum forming would work for this helmet, it's annoying just being ignored. Ah well.

In short, I'm pretty much out of ideas. Making a copy of this thing is a lot more difficult, and a lot more frustrating, than I thought it would be...

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10

Jump to: