About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=90bf1176033962c68ec8dc3138be885cMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

B-Wing Pilot Outfit & Helmet V2 (Lots of Images)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GhostRider01 (Luis Alejandro Mendoza)

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is not very difficult to use bondo, but at the time of sanding, believe me, you exercise your arms like ever. The vacuumforming machine is an excellent idea you can make several helmets with little effort and will always have a spare Smile

Formely Know as Sgt. Siul Azendom
Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, that's the plan. I wanted to vacuum form the thing so I would always have a spare just in case one happened to break or something. Not to mention that I wanted to have two or three to paint up in different ways-- I've got some ideas I wanted to try.

Though like I mentioned earlier if all goes well I might be able to sell some of them, too. After making a few helmets for my own use (and making sure that the pulls come out alright) I thought that I would talk with whoever will be making them with me and maybe we can work something out, split the profits or something.

B-wing Pilot - Anomid Jedi

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WARNING: LOTS OF IMAGES BELOW!

So I've got the back of the helmet pretty much rebuilt and now I'm trying to figure out how exactly I want to do the rest of the back (as in the "box" that you see on almost every B-Wing pilot action figure).

After closely studying my collection of B-Wing pilot action figures, comic books with B-Wing pilots, as well as whatever reference pictures I could find to see the back of the helmet, I came up with around a half dozen possibilities. Some look more "correct" to me than others, but I just can't decide on which one to go with.
So I thought I'd ask you all your opinion. Which looks more accurate or simply looks better to you?

I drew a few examples of the possibilities I mentioned, or at least to the best of my ability. Pardon my crude drawings, I'm a horrible artist. I can't draw my way out of a wet paper bag!

Details:
1. This was the one I was going to go with from the start. This is the style you see on all of the B-Wing pilot action figures, both human and the Nien/Ten figures (including the Ten figure from the POTF-2 line), after the vintage figure. It features a wide "box" at the back that starts at the top edge of the helmet and goes all the way down to the bottom of the helmet and sticks out just a tad from the bottom as well. There's what I can only call a "circuit board" in the middle of the box, which you can see on the figures, but I shortened it up a bit in my version.
From the top there's only a tiny bit of thickness to the "box", probably around 1/8th inch if not less.

2. After closely inspecting the picture of Ten holding the human-style helmet under his arm (the picture seen here) I noticed that there just seems to be a very thin, round strip that goes down from the top. Though it doesn't show how far this strip goes down, I simply made it go all the way down to and a little passed the bottom.
I could also modify this so the strip doesn't go down to the bottom and ends just above the "vents".

3. This style is what you see on the vintage B-Wing pilot action figure (though the figure doesn't have the "vents"), as well as on the unfinished helmet that was up for auction a while ago. Though this is another possibility I don't really think that this looks entirely correct. I'm pretty sure that there is a "box" or at least a "strip" down the back.

4. This is basically a variation of number 1. I basically just used everything from the wide box but made it a little bit narrower so it wasn't quite so wide. From the top this would have the same thickness as option 1.

5. This box I started out lower, which is how it looked to me in the side shot of Ten Numb (seen here. This could work for either the wide box or the narrow box. All I did was lower the box down a bit.

6. This one is, again, a modified version of the "box" style. After closely inspecting the side shot of Ten Numb, as linked above and below, I noticed that the box actually seems to thin out as it gets near the bottom, and that there's a noticeable edge between the thicker portion of the box and the thinner near the bottom-- like a set of stairs. I drew an example of the side profile of the box under the image (which is the black thing where it says "box looks like this").
This style could work with either the wide or narrow box, and it could also go to the top of the helmet (as it does in my drawing) or the box could be brought down like in option 5.

7. Another variation of the box. After I drew option 6 I noticed that, in the side picture of Ten Numb, that there seems to be a second edge to the box, as if there's three levels (imagine a set of stairs with three steps). I also brought the box down as I did in option 5, which is how it looks to me in the side shot. Even so, the box could go all the way to the top like the recent action figures, and could work with either the wide or the narrow versions of the box.

And that's all I've got. Again, I drew these ideas after closely examining all of the references I could get my hands (and eyes) on. I'm just not sure which would be more accurate or would simply look best.
Honestly, I'm leaning more towards the box style with the box going all the way up to the top edge of the helmet. As I mentioned, this is how it appears on all of the figures after the vintage B-Wing pilot, and I figure if Hasbro has stuck with it this long without really modifying it (while other parts of the helmet have changed over time), they must have got the idea somewhere. Though I haven't decided about whether the box should be wider or narrower... and I can't decide on the "steps", either. I kind of like the "steps" (like in option 7), but than I kind of don't... I'm kind of leaning towards the box without the steps, or perhaps only having one "step" at the bottom, or just above the "vents" (which might actually look pretty good) but I don't know...

But there is one problem. While the side shot of Ten Numb with the helmet on has a somewhat clearer example of the "box" at the back, this helmet is also a very different version from the human-style helmet. So what's true for the Ten/Nien helmet may not even be true for the human version, and vice-versa.

What do you guys think?

Some references...

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-

Last edited by Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch) on Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Purple Dagger (Sean Phillips)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If, more like when, I get around to my helmet I was going to go no box and more like the pictured figure with the curly wire going around the helmet. My thinking is the box maybe language translaters or a communication device of some sorts as the wires seem to lead to the ears on mosts. In which case the human (basic) model would be generic and lack a box, or at least be minor in size. I'd vacumm it without and resin a box add-on. That's my 2 credits worth anyway. Keep us posted, love the progress updates.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Alex... every helmet has its charm, but in my very personal opinion 7 is the best, the line has a very stylized, it is not square and the detail on the back steals no role to the helmet structure but wherever you choose i´m pretty sure that will looks great!

Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sgt. Siul Azendom wrote:
Well Alex... every helmet has its charm, but in my very personal opinion 7 is the best, the line has a very stylized, it is not square and the detail on the back steals no role to the helmet structure but wherever you choose i´m pretty sure that will looks great!

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Either 6 or 7-- which are pretty much the same but 6 has one less "step". I'll play around a little and see what seems to look best.

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:57 pm    Post subject: Update: March 24, 2011 Reply with quote

I've made a little more progress on my helmet and thought I'd toss up a few pictures...

The back of the helmet has been entirely rebuilt, as I already mentioned. It's been sanded and smoothed, though a couple imperfections still are there but will be fixed. The "vents" along the back have been evened up and straightened, though I may need to shorten them up a little bit, not sure yet.
I've started working on the side "domes". I've got a lot of work done on the left "dome" but I ran out of clay before I could finish the right. Heh heh. I'll have to pick up some more this weekend.
I started by outlining both "domes", which you can see in the picture of the right side. I've given them the correct amount of vents as well-- finally! On the left "dome" I cut out the pill-shaped greeblie sockets and cut the trenches at the back and bottom as well. The bottom trench goes all the way underneath the helmet as it should, though it's a little too deep right now but once the clay dries I'll fix that.
As you can see I also made a slot on the inside of each dome. I'm not really sure what these slots are for, I originally thought that they were for the visor but after looking closely the visor doesn't even come close to those slots... But whatever they're there for, I added them on.
And yeah, one of my cats, Egon, decided he wanted to be in the pictures, too...

I'm well over half way done with this helmet and just have a few things left to add to it, besides sanding the heck out of it. I think it's coming along quite nicely.

I've decided on how I'm going to do the back of the helmet. I decided on option 6 of my above drawings as this gives me room to place a personal emblem, which I like doing. Razz
Though I'll probably end up making this "box" a separate piece to be glued on later, I'm not sure if it would vacuum form very well if I had it attached already. I'm worried mostly that the back "vents" wouldn't come out right, but I'm not sure. Does anyone know?

Anyhow, here are some pictures...

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks impressive alex great work bro!

Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Smile

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
Bespin Phillips (Bren Phillips)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's coming along nicely alex, impressive work. if you're worried about the vents at the back not being straight enough- you could try clamping something with a nice straight edge, that can flex with the back of the helmet and use a dremel with a sanding cylinder on it and run it back and forward along the straight edge and it should come out nicely. it's a trick i use in work all the time
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bespin Phillips wrote:
that's coming along nicely alex, impressive work. if you're worried about the vents at the back not being straight enough- you could try clamping something with a nice straight edge, that can flex with the back of the helmet and use a dremel with a sanding cylinder on it and run it back and forward along the straight edge and it should come out nicely. it's a trick i use in work all the time

Huh, never thought of that...

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
HazardThree (Jon Paulson)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex, the sizing on that looks much better than your first version. Great work and looking forward to seeing it complete. Thumbs up

Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HazardThree wrote:
Alex, the sizing on that looks much better than your first version. Great work and looking forward to seeing it complete. Thumbs up

Yeah. Pretty much everything about it is better than the first.
But I guess that's why there's always a "first" version, 'cause there's always room for improvements. Razz

The first one was a bit rushed anyway, this one I've been able to take my time with as I have no real deadline to meet.

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put on my B-wing outfit for a while yesterday while I tried marking out where to shorten up my flak vest, so I thought while I had it on that I would "put on" my helmet as well and put up a few pictures.
Ugh, it wasn't until I was looking at these pictures until I realized just how bad I look in this outfit. Heh.

I've made a bit of progress on my helmet lately. Mostly it's been a lot of sanding and fixing up lines and things like that. Not a lot of "heavy duty" changes
I still haven't added the "box" to the back of the helmet or the wedge on top. I've just been working on getting the helmet itself finished, and then I'll get those made.

The only thing that concerns me about my helmet thus far is how far back it seems to go... But that must be right, it looks about that thickness in all of the pictures I've seen (when looking at the helmet from the top, that is).

Despite the success I've been having with my helmet I've been having a lot of problems with my flak vest-- a lot of frustrating problems. Originally it was simply too long so I've been working on trying to make it shorter, but as I realized last night if I simply make it shorter (sizing it to a 9x9 or 9x10 chestbox) the sides look too short, that is the sides that come out starts to go around my torso. But it seems to sit right on me... So I can't figure out what to do short of remaking the whole damn thing, which I really don't want to do.
I may just shorten up those sides a bit so they don't wrap around me as much as they do (which they don't much already), which would make them look longer. But I don't know.
What do you guys think? Granted it's a little harder to tell on the only front picture I took...

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
Bespin Phillips (Bren Phillips)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that lid looks savage, you really cleaned up the lines and edges brilliantly. how's the weight? the bondo on my helmet added a lot of weight. you must be delighted with it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10

Jump to: