About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=18e2a15336cec240d52c5a2b3dac876cMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

501st member looking be an A-winger

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> A- Wing Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wolfgar ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:41 pm    Post subject: 501st member looking be an A-winger Reply with quote

Hello all,

I'm a member of the 501st as a stormtrooper in the florida garrison and I'm still trying to figure out the layout of the RL forums--so please forgive me if this is on the wrong place.

I've been talking to a a few people in my squad that are dual members about making a pilot uniform.

They've finally convinced me to sign up for the boards and start the process. I'm looking to make an A-wing pilot, but im not seeing a lot of references or tutorials for building them. Just kind of photos of the stages.

If anyone has any roadmaps or cookie crumbs they'd like to lay out in front of me it would be greatly appreciated. Im not afraid to get my hands dirty and fabricate, sew or mold a few of the criticial pieces...i just need a little guidance directing towards what can be made/bought and how/out of what/where...

Thanks everyone!

Looksing forward to joining the alliance in 2013
Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, have you checked here? GhostRider01 is selling pulls of a pretty decent A-wing pilot helmet.

Unfortunately there aren't a whole lot of decent references for the A-wing pilot. Like the B-wing and Y-wing pilots, references are scarce, though there have been a few more popping up within the past year or so.

Here are some references... http://s16.beta.photobucket.com/user/msbillen/library/Rebel%20Pilots/A-Wing%20Pilots

And here's a few in my album... http://s55.beta.photobucket.com/user/Gankutsuou_2006/library/Costume%20References/A-wing%20Pilot

And some general pictures...
-Helmets: http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g144/Gankutsuou_2006/Costume%20References/Helmets.jpg
-Backstage: http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g144/Gankutsuou_2006/Costume%20References/afaapilots.jpg

There are no tutorials are far as I'm aware, so you'll be eyeballing it yourself for the most part.

You can get a decent idea of the shape of the front of the flak vest from pictures (and that it's gray with a white panel that has ribbing-- it also seems to have some sort of cloth-covered disc on the bottom right corner of the vest between the two lower ribs). There aren't many decent shots of the back, but from what I can tell it's more something like a T-shirt shape, with a rounded neck, and it's one piece (unlike the B-wing pilot flak vest back which is three pieces). I'd show you some pictures of what I'm talking about but now I can't seem to find them... >>;;

The flak vest material seems to be a sort of wooly fabric with, perhaps, different color fibers very similar to the B-wing pilot flak vest material, but perhaps a little bit lighter (it looks like to me, anyway). Green coveralls, white ejection harness, tan gaiters, white belt, white cloth-covered hose, black chestbox with white plastic and cloth capsule at the bottom, and so on.

If it helps, here are my gaiters, which may help give some ideas. Granted my outfit is a B-wing pilot but the gaiters and belt seem to be shared among the A-wing, B-wing and Y-wing pilots (and perhaps even the ejection harness, which is just sewn on differently).

Here is my belt, which, like I mentioned, is the same style for A/B/Y-wing pilots. There's a black plastic 2-inch side-release buckle on the back, though you can't see it in the picture.

I used a very thick felt for my flak vest (here) as I couldn't find a wool or underlayment that looked accurate. You might be able to use something similar-- just strengthen it with a layer of backing (I can't remember what it's called) or it'll rip apart. I believe that some A-wing pilots here have used some type of wool for their vest without the colored fibers-- just gray with white fibers.

Here is a picture of my "belt box", which I believe A-wing pilots also have... or at least I've seen a few pictures with pilots with them. But I believe they have a red square on the side instead of white (white is B-wing pilots). Also, don't put a cord on it.

Anywho, that's all I've got, an A-wing costumer may be able to give you some more information. I've studied the A-wing outfit a fair bit but the B-wing pilot is my forte. I know that there are other pictures floating around here... somewhere...

B-wing Pilot - Anomid Jedi

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Wolfgar ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, thats as solid a response as i could possibly hope for. Haha
Thanks a lot!!

I guess i'd better doing some research and eyeball some photos and start coming up with ideas for fabrication!!

Hopefully someone chimes in about the flight suit...but you've definately given me a great place to start.

Thanks again!!
Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and I guess I should mention this, but the "belt box" is not a required item. I just post it for information, but you are not required to have it with your outfit.

B-wing Pilot - Anomid Jedi

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Delta5Actual ()

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm working on that costume now, so if you have any questions, let me know. I'd be happy to help you out. Awing
Okami Dai ()
Alpine Outpost CO
Alpine Outpost CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Standing by for questions, maybe I can help from the other side of the pond...
A-Wing Pilot
Jedi Knight
Wolfgar ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is great guys! Thanks for the warm welcome.

I guess the logical start point is the flight suit so i can fabricate everything to fit on/over/around it.

Are there any sources for a hunter green suit out there? Can one be dyed or will i nee to sew one from a pattern?

Thanks again! Im excited to finally be working on a soft costume. Stormtrooping is fun and all...but man i get jealous looking at folks sitting down. Haha Very Happy
Okami Dai ()
Alpine Outpost CO
Alpine Outpost CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My overall is a standard working overall, but I made a local shop to order a fabric with a better matching green. Then they sewed my overall with their standard patterns and used the material from the hip/front pockets to create my upper leg and arm pockets.

I also got the rest material and did the comm pocket by my own.
All in all I had a lot of luck with my coverall as I got it for appr. €40 - €50.

I never had the possibility to compare it with e.g. the new MC suits, but I´m really satisfied with it, though it is, as all of my items, a "cost vs. accuracy" compromise...
And MC doesn´t have a green one.... Razz
A-Wing Pilot
Jedi Knight
Delta5Actual ()

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.automotiveworkwear.com/RedKap/CT10/coveralls.html

This is what a lot of us use. Cheap enough to buy two for all the mods needed.Hope it helps
Wolfgar ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great guys! I can def. sew/mod the suit myself to get the required looking pockets.

Ill start doing some more research and post upy next question(s) soon!

Thanks again for making me feel welcome!
Delta5Actual ()

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem! Us A-Wingers have to stick together! Too much orange for my liking! Very Happy
PrimitiveTodd ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm about done with my A-Wing suit. If you need anything, just let me know! Awing

"Any pilot who volunteers to fly an A-wing better be brave or crazy. Probably helps to be a little of both."
―General Han Solo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> A- Wing Pilots All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: