Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=4044da2cd70b2f73879818527960a8dbMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Hallo there : ) - introduction - Lake Dress

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kwills (Kimberly Wills-Starin)
Blue Ridge Base CO
Blue Ridge Base CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:44 pm    Post subject: Hallo there : ) - introduction - Lake Dress Reply with quote

I've already posted in forums for my region, so this is a bit cut and paste, but:

My name is Kimberly and I'm new to the forums but not costuming. I live in Raleigh, NC and attend DragonCon and Animazement pretty regularly, along with a few other assorted con non-regularly.

I have been costuming for the last few years more seriously than I had before. I plan on making a Generic Jedi and my own lightsaber before next DragonCon, and am working on some designs for her.

This year, I made Lake Dress Padme, never having worked with silk or hand-dying before, and I'm pleased with my outcome. When I figure out how to post photos to my profile, I'll include that link, but for now, here's my Flikr photostream:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30326549@N08/

I used about 20 yards of silk and silk chiffon, the dress is bias cut and lined, dyed with RIT and idye. The headbands are paperclay, painted with Testor's and studded with scrapbooking gold dot things, then sealed. The necklace was also made in paperclay, sanded, painted and topped with mother-of-pearl veneer, as were the arm cuffs. I have 2 pairs of silver tone shoes that I change out depending on how much walking I'm doing that day.

When it works out, I hang out with the Binghamton Fan Force in NY, where my friend is member and plays Mara Jade, her husband is Count Dooku and they participate in a number of seasonal events in their town.

The problem I'm currently having with the Lake dress is the gods be damned hairstyle. I used a wig, which is not great, but I need to take it apart and restyle it, or find a way to do my own hair, though I find that unlikely.

If anyone has some tips for doing this particular hairstyle, they would be very much appreciated.
darthrevan (Ally Bock)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks great. Also have to say I like your Midna as well. Smile
Jeremiah 29:11
Blue Ridge Base CO
Blue Ridge Base CO

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! ^_^

Midna was what really got me into serious costuming and cosplaying from doing the occasional thrown together halloween costume. I beat Twilight Princess and was like, "I MUST MAKE THAT". Then, of course, it had to be perfected. And now I have closet full of hand made, much labored over costumes that I love wearing for any excuse I can get XD.

And now, here I am!

What characters do you do?
darthrevan (Ally Bock)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kwills wrote:
Thank you! ^_^

Midna was what really got me into serious costuming and cosplaying from doing the occasional thrown together halloween costume. I beat Twilight Princess and was like, "I MUST MAKE THAT". Then, of course, it had to be perfected. And now I have closet full of hand made, much labored over costumes that I love wearing for any excuse I can get XD.

And now, here I am!

What characters do you do?

I have a Padme that I am working on fixing up. I have a regular jedi, and I am working on Aerith from Final Fantasy VII.
Jeremiah 29:11
Padme of Hidden Lake ()
Active Legion Member

Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Kim!!! How are you? I think I told you on FB at one point how I did my wig but really it is VERY heavy and hurts my neck after not too long. I am going to try to use what I have as a mold latex and get rid of the wire but in any case what I have is a large piece of artist's wire mesh that I shaped into the shape of her hair style then I bought extension pieces that match my hair color (or at least my hair with hair mascara in it) and sewed those onto the front of the mesh (front of my head) I then used a bit of tacky glue (which I put on the mesh and let get tacky not gooey before pressing the hair into it. I wrapped the ends of the extensions around the mesh shape and added more by sewing another row under one of the headbands which I also sewed on. I keep just the front part of my hair out of the wig and use it to cover the bottom edge (in the 2 pieces that are wrapped back from the from over the headbands to the underneath part. The rest of my hair is in a bun holding the wig on with combs sewn to the inside of the wig. Oh the only headband not attached to the wing is the frontmost one which I use to hide the bobby pins to hold the wig in place.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found with this hairstyle that having a really good hairstylist was a great tool Laughing I made this as my first costume, and thus it doesn't meet standards, but the hair does, at least. While it's not financially possible to have your hair done professionally each time you wear this costume, nor is it possible to have the same hairstylist do your hair if you're several hundred miles away, getting one to help figure out how to get the hairstyle to work with your hair is.

With mine, there was no way to get the volume of hair needed with with my own hair. We added a hairpiece bought at a wig store. It was just one that went over a small bun. The hair was parted in the middle, two pieces were separated to form the side twists you see, and all of it was teased to an inch of it's life. (I have thin hair, so normally it's rather flat) The first two headband sections were created, then the hairpiece was added in, teased to match, and kept going, tucking the hair under, lots of bobby pins, and an hour and a half from starting my hair was a seashell!

I'd advise going to a professional with reference photos from different angles, explain what you want, and pay attention to what they do, so that you can re-create it on your own.

If that's not possible, I know that Padawansguide.com has a few tutorials on the hairstyle as well.
Mieal Deneb (Rachel Orange)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check it out:

Blue Ridge Base CO
Blue Ridge Base CO

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yay!! I'm so excited! Very Happy
Mieal Deneb (Rachel Orange)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the picture you chose for your avatar. I like how the sun is shining through the sheer layers. Very feminine. Smile

Blue Ridge Base CO
Blue Ridge Base CO

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gunslingerpadme wrote:
I found with this hairstyle that having a really good hairstylist was a great tool Laughing I made this as my first costume, and thus it doesn't meet standards, but the hair does, at least. While it's not financially possible to have your hair done professionally each time you wear this costume, nor is it possible to have the same hairstylist do your hair if you're several hundred miles away, getting one to help figure out how to get the hairstyle to work with your hair is.

With mine, there was no way to get the volume of hair needed with with my own hair. We added a hairpiece bought at a wig store. It was just one that went over a small bun. The hair was parted in the middle, two pieces were separated to form the side twists you see, and all of it was teased to an inch of it's life. (I have thin hair, so normally it's rather flat) The first two headband sections were created, then the hairpiece was added in, teased to match, and kept going, tucking the hair under, lots of bobby pins, and an hour and a half from starting my hair was a seashell!

I'd advise going to a professional with reference photos from different angles, explain what you want, and pay attention to what they do, so that you can re-create it on your own.

If that's not possible, I know that Padawansguide.com has a few tutorials on the hairstyle as well.

Thank you for the info, I'm going to look into this today. I dismantled the wig I was going to wear tomorrow because it needs a lot of help still. I'm going to look into a partial piece that I can style and tuck under my own hair.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: