About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=71aa2613cfafaab414604b00b21efbf1Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Padme Episode II travel/refugee gown
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mara Skywalker (Anna)
Nordic Base CO
Nordic Base CO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be interested in buying this fabric too, if you're willing to share it Smile

Mynocks deliver Babies
Benae Quee (Kristin Mrozek Sirota)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember reading/hearing somewhere that the head dress was actually made from piano wires welded together on a frame. I think it may be buried in the notes in PG for that costume.
The reflection is from the stage lighting in the auditorium and not from Trisha Biggar's hair showing through. Those pics were taken during CII by a fan.
Your digitized "embroidery" is awesome looking, I love that you took the time to make that detail so that it looks more authentic to the real deal.

Naergi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all!

Why yes, I can make it available as soon as I got the swatches (which I will order by next month...), just so that I can also recommend the correct fabric type to print it on so that it looks right.

Here are more previews; of the medaillon fabric (for the 'cape'):

The border (which is attached to the bottom of the skirt. In my fabric layout this is printed on both selvage edges of the 'dress' fabric, so I can cut those off and just sew the resulting strips of 'trim' to the skirt when the dress is finished and don't need to make an extra fabric for that border):

And here's a preview of the 'bubble' fabric. As I said, to keep the overall coloring consistent, I think it's best to have ALL fabrics required for this dress printed at the very same source using precisely the same inks.

I know that the original headdress was made from piano wire (and this expression has to be taken with a grain of salt - it's not really 'wire from a piano' but a general expression for a certain kind of wire... just like 'peau de soie', which isn't really 'skin from silk' but just silk woven in a certain fashion ;-) ) - I also wrote that in my initial posting.
I just try to find out if there's another non-see-through 'backing' inside the headdress, maybe to stabilize it.
If that's not the case, I'd go the 'laminating' way with resin and maybe carbon roving, which I could weave into precisely the same sunray pattern. That way, the headdress will be much more lightweight than one that would be made from metal. The metal coloring is something I could easily achieve by electroplating the headdress.

Last edited by Naergi () on Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Naergi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, in case Spoonflower's "Organic Cotton Sateen" works for the dress (which I seriously hope!), I could get away with using just four yards of that fabric since the cotton sateen is 56'' wide (most other Spoonflower fabrics are more narrow).
Here's my pattern layout on a 'digital' piece of fabric. You're free to compare my layout to the seams on the original dress, of course; which is simple because the roses can be counted and, by doing so, the actual pattern of the dress can be pretty accurately sketched down (some areas, like the armholes, have to be guessed; but that's simple if you just have a bit of patterning knowledge).
Right side of the image represents the fabric on fold. That's why all pattern pieces (top to bottom: left: Front side skirt; right; center front; below that: back top side; below that: Back side skirt; next to that: Center back; bottom: front top side) are just there for 'one' side, not for the other - they'll be cut on the fold of the fabric.
Also, I'll have to add a closure - zipper - to the side seam of the dress with this layout since the center back is cut on the fold; but I don't think that will be a problem. The only "problem" is that in some places I'll have considerably small seam allowances; but I think I can live with that:

GentleBant ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah! I see how you're laying it out. In my attempts, one of the biggest challenges was getting the repeat to line up just right.

I've been playing with it on a horizontal repeat, so that the center design stays whole. To my eye, it looks like the skirt is in four panels: front and rear, and the two sides.

Is the "bubble" pattern what you're going to use for the sleeves?
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GentleBant wrote:
I've been playing with it on a horizontal repeat, so that the center design stays whole. To my eye, it looks like the skirt is in four panels: front and rear, and the two sides.

No, there are center back and front, top front and back side, and front and back skirt sides; making it six pieces (for just the skirt you would be right with four pieces; but since the skirt isn't separate from the top part of that dress, it's six per side).
Then again, if I would cut the 'front and back skirt sides' on the fold of that 'inverted eagle' motif, that would only be one piece too; but since I try to save on fabric (doing so would 'cost' another three yards of fabric!), I have to cut them on my second 'inverted eagle' motif stripe close to the selvage and sew the two resulting pieces (front and back side) together.

Look at this (and click to enlarge!). Two versions of the same promo pic - left (obviously!) not edited; right shows the placement of the seams.
You can see on the 'not edited' side how the pattern of the roses embroidery is basically 'split apart' by those seams. Same on the back, by the way.

Quote:
Is the "bubble" pattern what you're going to use for the sleeves?

Yes. I could buy some 'bubble' fabric and try to dye it to the correct base color of the printed fabric, but I guess with the printed fake embroidery, printed (and already color-matched!) bubbles will work best.
Naergi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way.
It just dawned me that the costume standards for this dress say...

Quote:
Required Items:

Floor length underdress with sage and grape paisley pattern on a mustard yellow background.

Uhmmm, a 'paisley pattern' isn't a 'roses pattern' (or floral pattern). However, the original gown doesn't have paisleys but roses and leaves on it.
Does that mean that if I make the dress as close to the original as possible, I can't have it approved as formal because it has the original roses pattern instead of a paisley pattern?
Shocked Laughing

(Maybe a rephrasing on that costume standard would be in order?)
GentleBant ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naergi wrote:
GentleBant wrote:

No, there are center back and front, top front and back side, and front and back skirt sides; making it six pieces (for just the skirt you would be right with four pieces; but since the skirt isn't separate from the top part of that dress, it's six per side).

I was referring only to the skirt for the four panels; but I agree that it appears the front of the bodice goes straight down to the bottom.

As far as the "paisley", I believe it referred to the amoeba-shaped purplish design, as well as to allow for the fact that this exact fabric just doesn't exist on the open market.

For the sleeves, I've been searching synthetic snakeskin, cobblestone, pebbled, and mosaic fabrics. I'll post what I've found so far when I have some time at my home computer.

I'm curious to see what fabric you go with; when I got my first swatches from Spoonflower, I changed my initial feeling, based on how the artwork transferred to the different fabrics.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GentleBant wrote:
I'm curious to see what fabric you go with; when I got my first swatches from Spoonflower, I changed my initial feeling, based on how the artwork transferred to the different fabrics.

I know, that's why I want to see the design printed on all kinds of remotely suitable fabrics (like, the Linen-Cotton Canvas (too 'rough') or the Organic Cotton Knit (stretchy; won't work for such a long dress!) - those won't work at all so I can skip them in my swatches...).

It's also a matter of from how far away you look at the printed fabrics. If you hold the swatch in your hand, you're much closer to it than most people will ever be to the finished costume.
You have to look at them from a distance - say, 1-3 yards. That will give you a better impression as to how the fabric will look on a finished costume from the distance that most people who come close to you will have.
After all, that 'usual viewing distance' of a finished costume is what counts; not what the dress would look like if seen under a magnifying glass.
Miana (Rachel Williams)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those standards have never been updated because we've never had someone do the costume, research it to a T, and find a better way to word it. Wink We are going through some revisions right now to change some thing, but if you can think of a better way to word that pattern, please let us know. The other issue is that not everyone is willing to go the extra 50 miles to make an EXACT fabric match, so we wanted to make it seem like anyone who found a paisley-or-type fabric that was close enough would be welcome as well.

"Everytime you're not canon, a fairy dies." - Mike
Naergi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miana wrote:
Those standards have never been updated because we've never had someone do the costume, research it to a T, and find a better way to word it. Wink We are going through some revisions right now to change some thing, but if you can think of a better way to word that pattern, please let us know.

Thanks for the explanation! I understand the point of allowing people to use similar but not exact designs; but as I said, 'paisley' isn't 'floral' and vice versa.
So maybe a change to "Floor length underdress with sage and grape paisley, floral or likely pattern that reflects the overall look of the original fabric on a mustard yellow background." would work, and also basically 'allow' the original floral fabric as well as other, similar designs to be used? Just my suggestion; maybe others have better suggestions. Though I'm trying hard to get it right, English isn't my first language so occasionally my wording may be weird.
Naergi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case you've always been wondering what kind of shoes to wear with this dress...
I've photographed my toy Padmé today, and totally unladylike could not resist to photograph underneath her skirt as well:

So there, it's laced-up boots. Cross-laced along the shaft, and at the top, there are three holes that were ladder-laced.
Note that I know that this is just the toy action figure; but usually, those are pretty accurate to a certain extent.

Also, a few days ago I've ordered swatches of my fabrics (the 'base' dress fabric; the 'medaillons' fabric for the cape and sleeve cuffs, the 'fans brocade' fabric for the cloak and the 'bubble' fabric for the sleeves).
I've ordered all those designs as swatches printed on Silk Crepe de Chine, Organic Cotton Sateen, Cotton Silk and Cotton Poplin; just so I can see how they print on those fabrics and be able to recommend fabrics for the printing process (concerning 'printed look' as well as 'draping behavior' - the sleeve fabric, for example, needs to drape differently from the cape fabric).
Now I'm just waiting for them to arrive so I can post pics of those swatches too Smile
Mara Skywalker (Anna)
Nordic Base CO
Nordic Base CO

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can't wait to see how your swatches turned out Smile

Mynocks deliver Babies
Naergi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't wait either, but I have to Crying or Very sad
Spoonflower 'finally' shipped my swatches order the day before yesterday (remember, I ordered them on the 20th of June!); and now it will take 2-3 weeks until I receive them (I'm in Germany).
Technically, I *could* make the fabrics available for others before I physically receive the swatches... but don't know if I should do that. I'd like to look at them in person (opposed to just on screen) first.
While I do on-screen color proofing (with the color profiles Spoonflower provides), I want to be sure that they do look right when printed, too. In case they don't look right, I want to tweak them so, well, they do look right.

In case anyone would like a link to the designs before I receive the swatches and can post photos of those (and, in case of something being off, tweak them), IM me - but as I said, when I receive mine and have the impression that something is just slightly off, I'll still change it.
Mara Skywalker (Anna)
Nordic Base CO
Nordic Base CO

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's only fair you wish to look at the swatches personally before offering them up for others Smile After all, it's your design Smile

Mynocks deliver Babies
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 4 of 14

Jump to: