About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=92af9636e9de7bc9569ee1eb42ed35e7Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Padme Episode II travel/refugee gown
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Naergi ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's me again. And yes, I agree that I'm totally spamming this thread with my progress pictures. I could bring out a link to my website where I'm also documenting this each time I have an update, but I want to share the pictures here and not necessarily "just" draw traffic to my site.

So....

Here's the invisible zipper which I mentioned in my last posting:

Also, I've taken a picture to, again, compare the printed fabrics to the original fabrics.
Let me just say for no particular reason that it's incredibly difficult to photograph those printed fabrics. In some photos they look darker and more saturated than in reality (like in this comparing picture; but then again the original dress fabrics look just the same in this pic!); in other picture, they look much lighter (like in the previous and next photo) - and those lighter, less saturated colors are what I see when I look at what's currently on my dress mannequin.

And as you can see, I've started draping the cloak Smile
Note that this is really just draped and pinned on one side; the shape is not final (and it doesn't have the lining yet).

Dally ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:44 am    Post subject: Travel gown Reply with quote

Gorgeous!
Dally ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:47 am    Post subject: Travel gown Reply with quote

say, does anyone know what kind of fabric is used for the sleeves? I mean the pebbly gold fabric... What is that called? I have found some textured gold fabric that might work, but the bubble pattern is not as prominent as the film version.

Thanks, all!
Dally ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:23 pm    Post subject: Purple cloak Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I found this fabric that looks like it could work for the cloak. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Violet-Jacquard-Upholstery-Drapery-Fabric-/120742904851?pt=US_Fabric&hash=item1c1cd68413

There is a little light blue dot at the base of each fan shape, but it is just a stitch easily snipped at the back and removed.
Naergi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: Travel gown Reply with quote

Dally wrote:
say, does anyone know what kind of fabric is used for the sleeves? I mean the pebbly gold fabric... What is that called? I have found some textured gold fabric that might work, but the bubble pattern is not as prominent as the film version.

We've had a few ideas on that matter in this thread; look here and here, for example.
As to what it could be called... well, just my personal opinion, but it could be any combination of the description of that texture ('bubble', 'bark', pebble', ...) with the weave ('jacquard', 'matelasse', 'crepe') and / or any fiber (like 'silk', 'polyester', 'rayon' and so on). Smile

Dally wrote:
I found this fabric that looks like it could work for the cloak. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Violet-Jacquard-Upholstery-Drapery-Fabric-/120742904851?pt=US_Fabric&hash=item1c1cd68413

There is a little light blue dot at the base of each fan shape, but it is just a stitch easily snipped at the back and removed.

Looks good! Would maybe need a bit of dyeing, though - it looks more 'red' than 'blue'.

By the way, I proposed an edit to the standards of this costume to the other judges.

First, the trim along the edge of the cape is currently listed as being 'piping' in the standards. As I've (hopefully) shown in this thread, the trim isn't piping but an embroidered (aka stitched), zigzagged trim.

Second, the standards for this costume currently list only 'pumps' as shoes; while the only reference we have (the action figure, to be precise) wears boots.
Note that the *other* "dress-wearing" action figures DO wear pumps, but this one wears boots; so I don't think it's not intentional. The boots should at least be listed as an option for footwear.

Third, that navy-purple cloak is listed as an optional item in the standards.
However, it's actually only worn with the metal headdress in the movie and reference pictures. It is never worn with the lace headdress.
So I suggested that it has to be mandatory if the metal headdress is worn; and cannot be worn with the lace headdress.

Last not least, I suggested that instead of the cloak, the L-shaped suitcase may be added as an optional item.

That having said, I've been busy sewing that cloak by hand at the moment.
My sewing machine needs a spare part (lower bobbin case broke) for which I'm waiting at the moment, so I can't use it.
Since all the hemming on that cloak has to be done by hand anyway and the two shoulder seams which join front and back pieces are small, I could as well go ahead and sew the entire thing by hand.

Also I made a horrible mistake when ordering my printed fabrics - instead of ordering three yards, I ordered just two for the cloak.
That was really my mistake, since I intended to order three, but obviously mistyped and ordered two instead; which I didn't notice until I actually tried to start cutting the cloak.
So my cloak will not be very full at the backside; even if I already used a trick to make it wider. More on that matter when I take pictures. Crying or Very sad

And also I have an incredibly hard time to find a crepe or jersey fabric that matches the golden color of the dress to use for my cowl. I found a polyester satin of which the non-shiny backside would have the almost perfect color; but it's a heavy satin and since I'd have to double it, that would result in me having to run around with double-layered heavy polyester cowl (aka giant plastic bag) around my head. NOT fun in terms of ventilation. Grrr.
Dally ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:44 am    Post subject: Travel Gown Reply with quote

Bummer about the cowl!

Regarding the boots, do you think that pumps will still be acceptable, since they aren't visible? I am just asking because wearing boots under all this sounds hot...
Naergi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Travel Gown Reply with quote

Dally wrote:
Bummer about the cowl!

As it happens, yesterday, when visiting the FOURTH store, I finally found a matching acceptable cowl fabric! Mr. Green
Also bought the still missing buttons for the sleeves.

So yesterday and today I've been hand sewing like mad (since I STILL haven't received my replacement bobbin case, which I ordered on Monday!), and an proud to announce that ten minutes ago I FINISHED my costume! Amadalia
Tomorrow I'll take pics and apply for the costume to be approved. SO happy!
Will still make the L-shaped suitcase - already acquired an old typewriter case AND a broken CRT monitor; just not sure yet which one I'll be using! - but that can wait until after the costume has been approved.

Quote:
Regarding the boots, do you think that pumps will still be acceptable, since they aren't visible? I am just asking because wearing boots under all this sounds hot...

Depends on the boots; real leather boots aren't hot.
That having said, pumps will always remain an option in the standards unless we find one picture that shows which shoes were actually worn with the dress (as in, in the movie and not just on the action figure).
If such a yet-to-surface picture shows that Padmé wore boots in the movie boots, such boots will probably become mandatory.
Ladyghost4459 (Denise Cowles)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot wait to see your completed project photos. The fabric is so beautiful and I really want to buy some of it and do this costume as well. You did a great job digitizing the fabric and Spoonflower did a great job replicating the fabric. Your work has been a great leap into doing this costume well. Can't thank you enough for your hard work and contribution to this costume. pompom cheerleader
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with what Ladyghost says. And thanks for the links to the sleeve fabric discussion. I looked through the thread but missed them somehow.
Naergi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much.
I hope that my explanations as to how and why I made the costume the way I did will help others making it too; be it with the Spoonflower fabrics or without them.
I still need to show a picture of the cowl pattern by the way because it's not what I'd consider 'simple' or 'easy to understand'. Will also do that tomorrow; just like some last minute observations that I made while making the costume, which might be helpful for others when making it.

I'm a bit scared as to how pictures of me wearing the costume will turn out.

I'm very much aware that I'm not Natalie Portman; neither in body shape nor in terms of age - in fact, I'm taller and proportionally weight more than her and - most problematic to me - am last not least 21 years older now than she was when filming Episode II (which is *double* her age at that time!).
Note that me considering those things problematic is really just about myself; not about others. Somehow others always manage to look pretty no matter what they wear; not something that would apply to me, IMHO.

So I have no illusions that I will even look remotely like her in the photos.

That's the reason why I prefer the heavy white camouflage makeup costumes like my Jamillia, for example - they hide quite a bit of what I don't like about myself.

But here's hope that I still can pull off a recognizable Travel Padmé.
My son wanted me to make and wear this costume because it's one of *his* favorites; so I made it and will wear it for him (same for Breha Organa, by the way).

It's in fact more like so that I love *making* costumes much more than to actually *wear* them because I don't exactly like myself.
I like my creative output... just not on myself.
But since my son *does* like the costumes on me, I'll wear them and visit conventions and other crowd-involving events with him even if I can barely tolerate even smaller crowds and usually avoid them by all means.

I know that all this is probably nonsense to most of you and that all this really doesn't matter; but I just wanted to have typed it down once so you all get the complete story and not just the making of part, so to speak, before seeing the final result.
Leia (Vera Campbell)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm the same way, I'm very aware I look nothing like Natalie Portman or Carrie Fisher so I don't always feel 100% comfortable in my costumes. At the same time, I can't NOT make the costumes because I love them too much. And except for the occassional rude person on the internet (because it does happen), you have to remember if the costume is gorgeous, everyone else will still love it.

And photoshop is also wonderful for pictures Wink I use it on blemishes and unfortunate eye bags and shadows that I can't fix with make-up.

rebelshaven.blogspot.com
verdaera.deviantart.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Ladyghost4459 (Denise Cowles)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vera and Naergi both of you ladies look quite stunning in your costumes regardless of your self consciousnesses. We all simply emulate the characters that we love and in our cases, it is probably more the clothes than the actors that we love. Both of you ladies have also done such great work and great sharing of that work and that more than looking like the actress you portray is by far the outstanding element. I had the misfortune of getting into costuming for myself far past my "prime" even though I have been making costumes and other clothing since I was in my very early years. I would have loved to have gotten into costuming for myself sooner. But the love of the hobby and the feel of the fabrics and a reproduction well done keeps me in it and will continue to do so until I am no longer physically able.

Naergi, I model many of my costumes on my mannequins because I am no Leia or Padme. I am in my 50's and quite short and stout....but I love the gowns and other costumes....and they speak louder than my shortcomings. Enjoy the beautiful clothes and enjoy playing dress up because that keeps us young at heart...
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leia wrote:
And photoshop is also wonderful for pictures Wink I use it on blemishes and unfortunate eye bags and shadows that I can't fix with make-up.

*cough* google "Portrait Professional" Wink *cough*

Ladyghost4459 wrote:
Naergi, I model many of my costumes on my mannequins because I am no Leia or Padme. I am in my 50's and quite short and stout....but I love the gowns and other costumes....and they speak louder than my shortcomings. Enjoy the beautiful clothes and enjoy playing dress up because that keeps us young at heart...

Same here. "Just" in my 40s now, but still.

Anyway... my son took photos of me today and I've applied with the costume. I was VERY lucky since we took the photos during an approximately half-an-hour break from rain; even the sun came out and the light was just perfect.
Click to enlarge:

Here's the only picture that actually shows the cloak lining (which, unlike the original cloak which as a red lining has a lining of which the colors match the flowers in the embroideries) and the buttons on my sleeve cuffs:

And here are the boots which I'm wearing with this costume. Since they're not exactly perfect, I hope they'll not keep me from getting a formal approval (after all, you can't see them at all when the costume is worn...).

Thank you SO MUCH everyone who followed, encouraged, commented and advice on my 'journey to Travel'. I really appreciated it.
Since I'm pretty tired today I'll post last notes on things to keep in mind when making this costume plus the cowl pattern tomorrow.
Anakin Skywalker ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! just nice!

"All who gain power are afraid to lose it."
"The whole thing stank, but our noses had been out in the cold for too long..."
LaV317 (LaVonne)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fabulous! Amadalia
Bespin Escape Leia (all finished except the pix!)
Breha Organa (Planning/acquiring materials; dye testing)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 13 of 14

Jump to: