Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=f8875b39a72aa7dab1216f3cac95bf36Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Just a Generic Smuggler
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Fringe Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jedi Loreen (Lori Procopio)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone can't do a generic Bounty Hunter to gain admission into the 501st, it has to be a canon character from the movies or comic books, or maybe games, too. I'm not sure how liberal they are with the Expanded Universe characters.
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe 501st accepts generic bounty hunters as they typically fall into the Mandalorian Merc's category. I don't really know anything about them so I can't direct you to their site.
theeviltwin ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya,
Just another suggestion. I know it turns out now that your sister wants to make a Bounty Hunter not a smuggler, but have you seen the new concept pictures for Force Unleashed 2? There's pictures of a very familiar looking smuggleresque Juno costume that I have no doubt we'll see clearance standards for and costumes in the near future.
Good luck.
Greg
Rumble (Beth)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 501st has a rule of three for any character - it has to be a character that shows up three separate times in a Lucasfilm-approved media (IE, cartoons, comics, etc). So they would not accept a custom character at all - it would have to be canon.

Now for the RL, as long as she has a canon character that receives the formal classification (I believe the Twi'lek dancer would count), she could then do a custom character however she wanted and it would receive an 'informal' classification as long as the character was a good guy.

That all said, it'll be her time and money going into the costume. The informal option is always there as long as she has a formal costume in the RL, but she should do whatever makes her the happiest. If she's itching to roll with the bounty hunter/smuggler first, do that, then come back with an approvable costume to get the membership.
"Time for some thrilling heroics."
Ky-Wan Zann ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lori I know what my own costume is classified as. I wasn't saying what her costume needed to be, just that people have done them.

'Just because I don't like to fight. Doesn't mean I can't'

'They can be a great people Kal-El they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way'

'JASON' Detachment
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Aramys Strael (Bill Kohlleppel)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a GML for the 501st, a couple of years ago. As of them, they did not allow custom characters, as has already been pointed out.

If your sister is really set on doing a Bounty Hunter, the Mandalorian Mercs would be her best way to go. Of course, the only criteria is that the costume has to be Mandalorian themes (Boba or Jango inspired), but you'd be free to customize the costume any way you like (within reason, of course).

If I were you, I would have her check out the Mercs website:
mercs.firespray.net

- Bill
Mando Merc out of Oregon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
rc_brooks (RC Brooks)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might just look through comics and video games. There are several smugglers out there.

If you are doing a Leia, you might look at the character Winter. Easy to find a lot of stuff on her. Or, a little further out then that, Platt Okeefe (my wife has a costume of her... though its often taken for Winter).

What about a female version of Bo Shek? I love his outfit. Very smuggler looking and as a female, it would give it a unique look that would be her own.

A lot of options to be sure.
SteveSolo (Steve Elliot)
Assistant Captain of the Guard
Assistant Captain of the Guard

Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bo Shek is a male and it would not be accepted as a female costume.

Bob is correct that there are no generic smugglers. Option can be found with EU characters.

Phoenix 17
Lucky_Lekku ()

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few people said to check out the Mando Mercs for custom Bounty Hunters, but I have to let you know they won't accecpt a costume unless it's a Mandalorian (Fett style, for those unobsessed with EU). Kind of the point of the group, you know?

So if she wants to go the t-visor and armor route, she's welcome to join, if not, she can just have a fun unofficial costume to wear around at conventions and stuff (I have a handful of those myself) - she really only NEEDS an official to troop with you at official events (if she wants to be in costume) or if your local base is really strict on who they let play.
padme9055 (Tabitha G)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all Smile . I think if she ends up doing the smuggler, it would be informal. She tried on my Leia costume the other day and loves it and since I hate wearing it, I have given it to her. So as soon as she gets some boots for it, she's going to apply as a Leia for her first formal. Then we'll do the Twi'leks next year Smile .

But thank you all! If there was enough interest, it might be fun to start another group just for random Star Wars themed smugglers Razz (maybe). Course, that's not really cannon or even LFL related, really. But it's a thought Smile .

My dad is going to have me make him a Harry Mudd style smuggler costume, a cross of Harry and a canita patron from Eps IV Smile .

Tabitha: a daughter, big sister, screenwriter, costumer, seamstress.
Lucky_Lekku ()

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think in the Support thread a while ago there was a thread for people who were just doing like background moisture farmers/cantina patron costumes. It'd be neat to have just like a civilian detachment - not everyone gets to be (or wants to be) a great big hero.
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I imagine once the demand for one is high enough one can be created. Need a min of 20 formal members I believe to make that happen.
Commander Cody (Jason R.)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you'd like to make your own "civilian" detachment- and if it has enough support- then by all means, please do so. Feel free to start an interest thread to get the movement going.

RAID Commanding Officer | Legion Costume Judge- Rebel Troopers & Officers | Ohio Garrison XO, 501st Legion
padme9055 (Tabitha G)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only problem I foresee is that I'm not sure how a civilian would get approved. I mean, how do you even write the standards for a SW civilian?

padme9055 (Tabitha G)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sister has thrown together a cool looking smuggler for Saturday's parade of lights. She used a picture of Winter as Targeter as the basis and then went with stuff we had. I don't have a picture yet, but I'll get one and share it with ya'll Smile .

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Fringe Archive All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: