About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=5b55917b9336664387ded486b5397ec3Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

General Rahm Kota v2
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Volund Starfire (Jason Ellenburg)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koda Vonnor wrote:
I laid in some fiberglass yesterday. Thick Rondo coat then 7-8 layers of cloth glass strips then another thick Rondo. I added 2-3 more layers on the wrist side for reinforcement since I will be doing the rectangle cutout. It's fugly for sure, but very solid.
You do know that the armor won't have to stop actual blasters, bullets, or out-of-control super-monsters, right? With 7 or 8 layers, calling it solid is actually the understatement of the century. Heck, if you replaced every other layer with a carbon fiber/kevlar weave, you'd have an actual piece of armor there.
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol senpai,

I knew the hard model might have to withstand some serious torque when I put it on my wrist for final fitting, so I went overkill to help head off any cracking. You'll see what I'm talking about in a few posts, but I gotta squeeze my hand through the space between the rectangular cutout on the palm side of the piece and the half-round cutout on the back, then turn it 90 deg to set into place. It's looking to be a tight fit at first glance.

Also again it's just the hard model. I will make a shell mold of it and pour a super-hard resin production piece.

~ BC

Last edited by Koda Vonnor (BillCostigan) on Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Koda Vonnor (BillCostigan)
Active Legion Member

CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, I had to be able to put the one-piece wrist clip on and take it off. It is a VERY tight fit and will be a bit tighter before the production piece is cast. As you can see I will have to squeeze it on before the glove, then pull the glove cuff up under the clip. With just the padding afforded by the glove, it is moderately comfortable. It may take a prolonged period of elevation to get it off after a long troop, but I will pay that price for accuracy. The clip will also support the main assembly and keep it from encroaching on the hand guard.

Still just a first round of smoothing and shaping. It will have more Bondo filler and surface spread before it's ready for molding/casting, but so far I'm very happy with the results.

Apologies for the unfocused shots. I was using a remote shutter with my right hand, and neither hand is as steady as a few years ago.

More as it comes along.

~ Vonnor
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks good and tight Wink and nice touch with the silver on the fingers, great idea

"All who gain power are afraid to lose it."
"The whole thing stank, but our noses had been out in the cold for too long..."
Active Legion Member

CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kira, I can't take credit for the idea though. Smile

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha! alright then

Volund Starfire (Jason Ellenburg)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only problem I can see with that is if your wrist or hand swells any. We had a clone during a parade whose forearm swelled up and he couldn't get his arm armor off at all (it slid over his wrist). With as tight as that is, it might give you more than just comfort issues.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with your cavaet Senpai, and will take some precautions. The cut opening on the palm side will help with circulation so it's not a real constriction issue. It's more about the 90 degree pivot and sliding it off. I may need a few min of holding my hands over my head but I can do that. Also all the edges will be rounded and smoothed which will help. I may try casting in a resin that flexes a bit as well. It can't be real flexible since it has to hold the main assembly in position and keep it from encroaching down toward the handguard.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill I gotta ask, I can't find it if you posted it. what kind of fabric is your kama?

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The junk mockup I showed a few pages ago was a textured polyester. I haven't found the perfect kama fabric yet, but I have a piece of wool/nylon blend that I'm going to try. It's a bit thin but has a perfect drape for the part . I'm worried that the hip strap mountings may show though in the back. I also have some super-heavyweight coat wool, but it wont drape and flow like the blend.

I also haven't dismissed the option of cannibalizing the Jedi robe, but I may if I can't find the perfect fabric.
So the search continues. Smile
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1st: Learn how to make the part.

2nd: Make the part.

Yesterday I smoothed the surface and shaped the contours on the left wrist clip. After cutting the join-notches and clamping it to the main assembly, several issues were noticeable.

On the sculpt, I left the semi-circle cutout a bit small, so that the alignment might be adjusted left or right if necessary. I mistakenly ground out it's alignment based an attempted self-symmetry for the part, rather than waiting until I had it clamped in place, so you can see it does not line up with the semi-circle cutout on the forearm plate. Also as you can see in the last photo, the palm-side rectangle cutout is not aligned with the center line of the main assembly, as it should be. The skew of the whole thing rather threw me off during the sculpt. Look closely at the handle of the clamp, and the jaws. The centers of those should both be lining up with each other and with the reference vertical.

Lastly, notice the gap between the forearm plate and the wrist clip. It is very inconsistent, as are the surface flush lines between the two parts.

This is just another lesson. I will re-do this sculpt, but this time I will take care to pre-mark center lines and guide-points, and measure the alignment off the entire assembly rather than just the one piece.

~ Vonnor
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep being amazed at how good you are at these things. It looks really good. Very Happy This costume will be badass when it's done. Cool

http://headoftheclones.proboards59.com/index.cgi -if you like FF of the crazy kind. Wink Clone Leader
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16
Page 16 of 16

Jump to: