About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=b1e7bbcb3376c8844cbbeb76c43b9f6aMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

General Rahm Kota v2
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Koda Vonnor (BillCostigan)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a davenport wrote:
...You can do the same thing with coffee...

Good, 'cause the pristine sibling is upstairs goin' all hot-tub in my coffee cup.

Here's the pants:

Color's not quite right but it'll fly until I find another cotton stretch sateen that's closer. It was good practice. Smile

~ Vonnor

Last edited by Koda Vonnor (BillCostigan) on Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put the final shaping on the right vambrace halves today. The contours came out very nice. Next comes a little surface filling and adding the raised edging. Just wrap heavy paper around the model and trace the edge, then cut out the sintra using that template. I will fill the edge gaps and back-fill the corners with epoxy putty, then Dremel all edges to the final thickness.

~ Vonnor
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love how a little edging can give a boring part a new facelift. Very Happy

My aim on the skew was to have it match the taper of the truncated cone. It came pretty close (see third pic).

Ran out of double-sided tape last night so will edge the other half today.

~ Vonnor
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cut the main belt blank and painted the belt hardware to better match the CG model. These are some photos for my leather crafter's reference. I also trimmed down the edges of the vambrace plates and filled in a lot of gaps and bubbles using PC-11 White Epoxy Paste as a filler putty. I got it at a local ACE hardware. It's not toxic like Bondo is and it's a lot creamier. You also get almost an hour working time before it starts getting thick. The down side is it takes 12 hours to harden enough to sand down, and that's with a couple 75 watt bulbs shining on it.

Next the right vambrace halves get primed and the three cross-straps added.

Stay tuned.

~ Vonnor
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every time I look in this thread I'm amazed by your work. This will be great when finished! Cool

http://headoftheclones.proboards59.com/index.cgi -if you like FF of the crazy kind. Wink Clone Leader
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much Lora. If it's half as good as this or this, it will be a resounding success. Very Happy
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still amazed at the craftsmanship. Glad to still keep up to date on this board as the RPF is working things out. Can't wait for the next update.
Anakin Skywalker ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow lora that was some praise you got there Wink give your self a pad on the back.

But I gotta say Bill, it's inspiring to watch you work and watch you progress

"All who gain power are afraid to lose it."
"The whole thing stank, but our noses had been out in the cold for too long..."
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I primed the right vambrace halves and glued up a temporary jig with 5/8" spacers to hold the piece in it's shape. I marked and cut the holes for the three cross straps. I did it by hand using a dremel and left a bit of garbage that I'll have to fill in after the straps are in place.

The idea was to file the holes on a steep angle to help the Sintra straps lay down as flat as possible. I ran out of steam and want to watch the Bronco's play the Patriots tonight, so It'll probably be tomorrow for the straps.

One note, the straps need to hold to the contour of the tapered cone, so they can't be cut as simple flat parallel strips. I'll do my best to approximate the curve for the cuts and leave them a little big, then heat curve them and take down the edges as needed.

I also did a dye test on the suede used for the loin guard and hip pad (dye shown in photos) to try out some weathering. The brown strip in the foreground will be the mounting straps for the loin guard.

More later.

~ Vonnor
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cut 3mm Sintra straps to individually calculated curves (see template in background) for each strap position. The photos show them loosely heat-formed and placed in the slots.

This week I'm in need of help.

There must be a trick to bending Sintra with a heat gun, because no matter what I did I kept getting uneven bends and even finger compression dents from where I was pressing on the hot straps. I tried putting an initial curve in the straps by wrapping them around an empty wine bottle as I heated them up, but still got a lot of uneven curves. I have enough Sintra to cut many more straps if needed, but if someone knows an easier way to bend the straps I would be extremely grateful for advice.

See the closeups I also got an unwanted concavity in the cross sections. Sad

Ideally I want an even curve across the straps with a sharper bend as the strap goes into the slot. The CG images suggest that contour.

Also of note: The fiberglass resin and Bondo gets very hot and flexible under the gun. I discovered this after seriously distorting one of the strap slots! Shocked Not that I can't take advantage of that physical property to micro-adjust some of the overall contours, but it was scary to find out by accident. I fixed the strap slot with heat by the way. Not perfect but close enough for where the strap goes into the slot.

Many thanks!

~ Bill C
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome work, as always. Thumbs up

I'm sure someone can help you.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Isma! Smile

I did a bunch of little stuff today. I put the mounting on the loin guard and a start to some weathering. That's just light brown suede dye applied with a foam Q-tip. I will touch it here and there with dark brown for a little variance in the edging, and will try thinning some leather paint for the rubbed areas.

I also discovered a Sintra bending trick over at The Dented Helmet. Here is a step-by-step. I cut three new straps being very careful to get the edges square and the curves round. I made a ductwork mandrel about the same taper as the vambraces. Using a sofa pillow and a heat gun I heated up the strip 'til it was like a floppy noodle, then pressed the mandrel onto the strap and wrapped the pillow around the whole thing. After a minute or so the strap was nicely curved. I have to get the first weathered paint coat on the parts before I can glue on the straps, so that'll wait for a warmer day.

I think the three side-by-side straps look like a little shield generator model. Razz

Next it's back to the hands.

~ Vonnor
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, I also sent the main belt blueprints to my leather crafter along with some hardware.

~ BC
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koda Vonnor wrote:
Thanks very much Lora. If it's half as good as this or this, it will be a resounding success. Very Happy

Thank you! Mr. Green It's always nice with some praise. I think you're very good at what you do; I mostly do soft parts as hard parts are a bit of a mystery to me. Rolling Eyes

Anakin Skywalker wrote:
Wow lora that was some praise you got there Wink give your self a pad on the back.

Done! Wink

Good progress, Bill. Very Happy Get it coming!

http://headoftheclones.proboards59.com/index.cgi -if you like FF of the crazy kind. Wink Clone Leader
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weekend update:

A bit of a setback today. I attempted to attach the three cross-straps to the vambrace halves. It seems epoxy is not good at gluing Sintra to fiberglass/bondo. I got the straps in place then popped out the temporary spacers and formed and glued the elbow guard on. The idea was that the straps would flex enough to allow putting the bracer on, but first one then another of the epoxy bonds broke, then the center strap itself broke.

Also the elbow end of the cone is about 3/4" too big in diameter. Even with the shirt on there will be just too much play. At the moment I plan on taking it back to the sculpt and trying again. It will be better if I mark the strap slots on the clay anyway. That way I can cut them much cleaner.

Try and learn. Such is the way of the scratch-build. Neutral

~ Vonnor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 11 of 16

Jump to: