About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=e62159339b3973b8d05f02dfe5097329Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Upgrading Yarna - advice sought

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Supporters
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jada ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:28 pm    Post subject: Upgrading Yarna - advice sought Reply with quote

I'm wanting to upgrade my Yarna . . . again. Razz

I'm wanting to make some kind of "prosthetics" for the forehead but I'm fairly clueless on making them.

I've been told model magic could work. Thoughts? Suggestions?

I'm also upgrading to a full wig instead of having it on a headband. After an hour or 2 the headband really digs in and gives me a headache.

Rest In Peace Iceobel - Faithful Dog - August 1997 - July 2011

Rest In Peace Leo - Feline Companion and Comforter - adopted March 2005 - August 2013
Ladyghost4459 (Denise Cowles)

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many of my dare I say, Klingon friends, use a latex product. You might look into Woochie products and some of the other pre-made appliances...

http://www.mostlydead.com/Foam-Latex-Prosthetics-Masks/c8/p269/Martian-forehead-prosthetic/product_info.html

http://www.woochie.com/index.php/Woochie/
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

None of the premades look like Yarna's kind of oval forehead "lines".

Basically this is just something I've never done and it is intimidating. Surprised

I'm wondering if Ben Nye's Nose and Scar Wax would work:

http://www.fxwarehouse.info/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=FW&Product_Code=MW1&Category_Code=BN

Rest In Peace Leo - Feline Companion and Comforter - adopted March 2005 - August 2013
Ladyghost4459 (Denise Cowles)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would work, but you'd have to do the complete build up every time whereas an applied prosthetic would just be reused many times.

http://www.fxwarehouse.info/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=FW&Product_Code=AGE-3&Category_Code=Foam

You might could use this forehead and use a build up of liquid latex until you got the look you wanted...You could even do a cast of the finished product to make replacement parts for the future. It is a time consuming project, but you know anything worth doing right is gonna take a little time.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, that might just work!

I should have picked Bill Blair's brain when he was here last month more than I did.

Lucky_Lekku ()

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a bottle of liquid latex and the right color make-up - using just tissues and pulled cotton can make quick cheap prosthetics. You'd have to be careful, but if you take them off right you can re-use those. And if not, it's no big loss since the materials are so cheap and readily available.

Just put some prosaid (prozaid? It's an adhesive) or liquid latex down, pull and arrange your material until the width is right and arrange it on the surface, then once it's stuck, latex over it again and then powder once it's dry. Not sure if it'd work for wrinkles, but it's excellent for scars/wounds/burns/trauma.
duck

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I totally stiffed you on that T-Shirt idea you needed, I'll make you this prosthetic when I get back from CV. It'll be a piece of cake and I have the stuff laying around, anyway. Just sculpt up the forehead and nose ridge in clay, pour some plaster over it, pour some latex in that. I can make you 2 or 3 so when one wears down, you have extras. Hell, I'll send you the plaster mold and you can teach yourself how to pour latex. It's easy.

Just PM me after CV.
Jada ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey if you'll be at CV I can give you a model magic version of it. I only plan to wear it one day.

wampadude ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used both the latex and tissue method and the clay/plaster mold techniques mentioned above. Both are very easy.

I would say the tissue method would be easiest for a one time test, but the mold would be the best method if this was to become a permanant modification to the costume.

You can even mix both methods together. I did this when making the ears for my wampa. I sculpted them out of clay and made a plaster mold. Brushed in a couple layers of latex, then reinforced it with some batting soaked in latex.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, totally different subject. I upgrade my headpiece. I'm still not totally happy with it so this is going to be headpiece 2.5 for now.

For reference here is Yarna's headpiece:

And here are thumbnails of my 2.0 version (my first version used plastic bones painted brown):

I had found the pods I used in some potpourri. I was thrilled with them and the way the headpiece looked but I knew it needed to be more accurate.

So, I happened upon another bag of potpourri and found what I believe was used in Yarna's headpiece - Mahogany Pods:

So I took out the pods and replaced them with the mahogany pods after I sprayed them with some brown paint and used Mod Podge on them. I attached them to a small piece of dowel that was wrapped in some of the hair. Then I placed them and secured them by putting an upholstery tack through the hairband (a hair accessory, not a metal band from the 80s). This made them far more secure.

I also constructed the "leaf" woody looking piece on the third pod out of Model Magic. I sprayed it brown and misted it with some black and Mod Podge it and then glued it onto the pod. I added some more shells, the double "line" of black yarn attaching all the pods and the yarn that covers the front. I need to add more and thankfully found the other ball of that yarn while cleaning out a basket the other day. I redid some beads and some other things. I don't have many pictures of just the headpiece but here is the photo I took before leaving for CV:

Yes, that is an Over the Hill hat on top of a styrofoam hat on top of a duct tape mannequin. The hat is my husband's from his 40th bday party.

I'm still not 100% happy with it. I've discovered the pods are too far forward and there is not enough of the front yarn. I also have never been happy with the snood in the back. 3.0 is on the distant horizon.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Supporters All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: