About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=4481505c70c0fcd3673d01e7c330c03bMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Brian Bean - Masterbean | Answers for Base CO

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Central Base -> Central Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wolfie (Crystal Bass)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Boston Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:37 am    Post subject: Brian Bean - Masterbean | Answers for Base CO Reply with quote

This thread is for Brian's answers to Base CO questions. Only he may post in it. Other candidates wishing to respond to his answers need to copy and paste from this thread into their own thread.
Masterbean (Brian Bean)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much Crystal.
First set of questions comes from Leiasolosinger:
leiasolosinger wrote:
It seems like people in leadership sometimes become disillusioned with the Rebel Legion, resulting in an emotional or physical detachment from the RL in general.

1.) If for any reason you have a rough year as CO, how will you deal with these feelings?

Even though this is not a paid position, I would still approach it as a job. With that comes responsibility to the Legion and more importantly those in the Central Base, for the duration of the term. If things were to become rough for me to the point where I wouldnít be able to troop, I would still continue on in a leadership role to the best of my abilities during the length of my term. I would not seek another term if things did become that bad though. But I do not take responsibility lightly and I would do what I could to complete the term I was elected to. However, if I received feedback from others in the Central Base that I was letting them down, then I would speak with the base XO to see if they could have either an increased role or take over for me.

leiasolosinger wrote:

2.) Also, do you see yourself as an active member of the Legion 3 years from now?

I think the only thing that would take me away from being an active member would be if I were to start a family. Though, I have seen a number of people who have been able to do both, just in a less active capacity. So, if my life stays the same as it is now, I donít see why I would not be an active member three years from now.

Next question comes from MNScout:
MNScout wrote:
1) What do you want to change about the Rebel Legion while you are in a leadership position?

I wouldnít say that there is really anything I would like the change. I really enjoy how close we work with the 501st and the way most events go is very smooth. I would like to encourage people to go out of state for at least one troop/event per year. I would also like to see about getting at least one more multi-state event like the photo shoot. My current thoughts is just a weekend gathering, no trooping associated with it, just a time to get together and meet those of us we only see on the boards. I understand that is a bit of a lofty goal as there are lots of logistics to put together, but I think it could be a fun addition to our group.

Also, I think as a CO, I may ask people from time-to-time or perhaps even make a post asking people for feedback on my position. Pretty much the only way to know how I am doing is to hear how others in the group feel. Itís good to know what things are working and what things arenít working in order to progress as a leader. So maybe adding a suggestion thread to the Central Base forums would be the simple solution for my idea, it would allow a place for people to say what they feel is being done well or not well and hopefully solutions could be devised through discussions.
Masterbean (Brian Bean)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep the questions coming!
Here are a couple more:
leiasolosinger wrote:
One more question from me:

1.) What are your thoughts on our current arrangement of conducting most of our event planning on the Central Garrison boards?

I do like the idea of it, but I do feel it can be improved. Mainly the issue I have with it is that I do not have the permissions on CG as I do on our forums. So if I need to post an event on the CG boards, I have ask for someone to either make it an announcement or sticky it for me. Maybe they would be willing to give me the rights, but then I would feel sorry for their web admin to have to keep up with our people and rights on top of theirs.
If itís something they are fine with though, I guess it would solve my issues. I just have not sought out whom I should speak with as I was XO mid-way through the year rather than at the beginning.
But, the idea of there being one location for both 501st and RL to go to in order to check events, is I think one of the major reasons we have such a good working relationship with each other in our area. So I will gladly take a minor annoyance over not having the resource we have in the CG boards any day.

MNScout wrote:
Two more questions from me:

1) What was your favorite troop and why?

I would say Zoo Boo is my favorite troop. Itís one of the few troops we do that happens on multiple days every year and the main thing is to interact with the kids. Even those that are too afraid to come up and give us a high-five I get a kick out of. The look of amazement they have on their faces really does it for me.
My second favorite might be the Hockey game in Iowa. Not only are we treated well by the facilities and the crowd, but then I also get a chance to see people in person I only interact with on the boards.

MNScout wrote:

2) If you were a tree, what sort of tree would you be and why?

Hmm, this is a tough question for a couple reasons, I donít really know many trees nor do I know what itís like to be a tree. At first I was thinking a Cherry tree because I do like cherries, they are also iconic to Japanese culture and they have pretty amazing blossoms. But then I though maybe a Maple tree because really, Maple syrup is the nectar of the gods. So, I think for now I will stick with a Maple tree.
Masterbean (Brian Bean)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More questions answered:

Crocoboxer wrote:
1. In the Star Wars Universe, it's getting harder and harder to tell the good guys from the bad. Clones are now in both the RL and the 501st. Anakin, Tuskins and Jawas are in both. The distinction between the two clubs is becoming less distinct. Should the Rebel Legion and 501st Legion merge to form one official costuming club? Break out your crystal ball. Will this ever happen?

Well, I donít know that I would agree with the statement that the distinction between the two clubs is less. I do like that the clubs are working better together every year and I hope it continues. I do not think they will ever completely merge; they did separate from one so I doubt the two will ever form back into one group. But I suppose it is possible, though I think we need to concentrate more on continuing to work together peacefully. Hopefully that will become universal, and then talk of merger can really truly happen.

Crocoboxer wrote:
2. What is your opinion on custom Mandos? Should the Mandolorian Mercs be allowed to troop at RL/501st events? Who should decide?

I donít really know much about the Mercs or the 501st. I did read some very interesting history between the two and I can see where the animosity grew from. I personally feel that a Mando CAN troop a Star Wars event, however I wouldnít feel right making a blanket statement that they all should be able to. Iíve seen both good and bad Mandoís. Since most of them are the personís take on what someone would wear in the Star Wars universe, some are right on and some are way off. But itís all just opinion and also the main reason why it becomes a difficult thing to state. I think right now it should be how it is, if itís an Official event, no. If itís not an official event and the person making the request states that they are open to all Star Wars characters, than I donít see why not as long as they arenít cardboard mercs (I donít know if that term exists or not, I was throwing it out there to make it akin to bathrobe Jedi)

I think itís a long road that both those groups will need to hash out. I would have to say that it will probably start with the Mandoís having a stricter costuming code/guideline. I believe though that the 501st is really weary about allowing custom anything into the standards. I would not fault them for that because it does allow for wiggle room they would just rather not have.

If I were coordinating an event that was not official and a custom Mandalorian wanted to troop, I would insist on seeing the costume first. Either pictures or in person and as long as it didnít look like the equivalent to a bathrobe Jedi, Iíd be fine with it.

Crocoboxer wrote:
3. There has been a lot of drama in the RL as a whole lately and, until last year, the Central Base seemed to be above it all. Teresa Jackson was nominated (and seconded by me) for BCO and then withdrew her nomination leaving Mark Tomasello as the only candidate. Mark then stepped down as Central Base CO a few months later making Teresa CO. What is your opinion of the way these events transpired?

Anytime someone steps out of a race or down from their position due to personal matters, itís hard to hold it against them. They have to make the right choice for themselves at that time. The only thing we can do is be supportive of their decisions and do our best to move on, which I think we have. After all if they are going to be miserable or can no longer commit to the position, they are not going to do a good job and then we all suffer.

Crocoboxer wrote:
4. What is your opinion on Ed Cook stepping down as LCO?

From what little information Ed has been willing to tell me about the details of his situation, I have to say that he made the best decision for himself. And since he had a competent XO to step up, I donít think the Legion suffered for it, other than just adding to the turmoil of whirlwind leadership.

Crocoboxer wrote:
5. If elected, how likely is it that you will finish your term? This may seem like a silly question but Iím sure it would have seemed just as silly to ask it of Mark and Ed, and they stepped down.

I think this is a very valid question and not silly in the slightest. I also feel itís a question that should be asked of all of those running for office this term, due to current events of our leadership.

For me, being the BCO is something I have given a lot of thought over and with taking over the position of XO through the last part of this expiring term, I was able to know first-hand that this is indeed something I am willing to dedicate myself to. As I alluded to in answering one of Teresaís questions, I will do everything within my power to continue on as a leader. I will first sacrifice time trooping if that is what is needed. And if I or others feel that I am not giving enough time and dedication to the position, then I will sit down with the XO and come up with a plan. If stepping down is what the determination is for the best course of action, then I will begrudgingly do so. However, it is my full intention, if elected, to fulfill a full term as the BCO of Central Base.
Masterbean (Brian Bean)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:47 pm    Post subject: Closing Statement Reply with quote

Hello fellow rebels, Q&A is now wrapping up and voting is about to begin. First, I would like to thank all of those who asked questions, itís good to see participation in the voting cycle. This is an important time of year where we elect those we want to represent our portion of the group in the base command and the group as a whole in the council.

I would also like to take the time to just thank everyone in our base. I have truly enjoyed meeting those that I have met and also seeing how well our group seems to cooperate within ourselves and our sister group. I hope that continues regardless of whom is elected to the helm of Central Base.

One question that I feel is always an important one but wasnít asked is, ďWhy are you running?Ē For me, I want to be the BCO because I really want to give back to the Rebel Legion and this feels like the best way to do so at this time for me. I really felt embraced by this group when I first joined up. I think we have a really amazing thing here and I would like to do my part in keeping that going.

Iíve always felt that I am an approachable person and I hope that feeling has carried over onto the boards. I feel this is one attribute that helps me be a leader because it allows for people to come up to me and really tell me how they feel. Be it good or bad, if I am representing the group, I need to know how people feel to do a good job. If it hasnít carried over into my forum personality, please note that I always appreciate honesty and sincerity when people tell me their opinions, feelings and thoughts on subjects.

I hope you find me worthy to lead you for this next year and give me your vote. I hope to see you all at a future event!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Central Base -> Central Archive All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: