About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=db935f92e2ae39e1a33c334e0f58166fMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

White Battle and SW:TCW White

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Clones of the Republic -> Expanded Universe
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dionaly (Liz Turner)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:51 am    Post subject: White Battle and SW:TCW White Reply with quote

I've been looking to make Padme's white suit seen in both Ep II and the 3D animated series because I could use it as a base for multiple outfits. I've started researching, but I was curious about some of the differences listed in the Costume Standards.

Mostly, it seems to be an issue of different accessories for each outfit, but there are a few things that stood out.

First off, the pants. The animated version says that there are: 4 wide off-white stripes on each hip, extending from hip bone to just before knee on each side. Can anyone elaborate on that? I think it's talking about the sort of quilting looking bit, as seen in this image:

http://s94.photobucket.com/albums/l107/princessleia911/Padme%20Costumes/CW%20Battle/?action=view&current=Padme_TCWVG-1.jpg

Secondly, the white hats for both outfits. At first I questions whether or not the animated version was waffle knit, but I finally found a picture, which shows that it is. Has anyone been able to tell how close the animated version is to the unused Ep II version? This sketch seems to be based on the pattern of the Ep II hat, but I've seen possible alternate patterns:

http://s94.photobucket.com/albums/l107/princessleia911/Padme%20Costumes/CW%20Battle/?action=view&current=padmecloakdrawing.jpg

The basic concept of that pattern is that there's two "wings" of the hat, one covers the face, the other covers the neck when they are folded across the front. The other option is to make the hat with one swoopy neck piece that is attached on both sides, with a sort of modesty panel to cover the mouth and nose.

And then of course, we come to the issue of how either hat would interact with the cape. (does she even have a cape in the animated version... I can't tell from the screen shots) The purple version definitely has a cape, but it's hard to tell where the hat piece ends and the cape begins.

Any thoughts, suggestions, etc?

Thanks!
dionaly (Liz Turner)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After staring at photos, here's what I've come up with for patterns for both the white and purple hat/cape combo worn in the Clone Wars series. I appologize for the crappy MS Paint drawings...

I decided it must be made out of a cape, capelet, and hat in order to get the right affect. The cape is fairly straight foward and shouldn't be difficult to make. I couldn't get a clear back shot of the white version, but I assume it's the same as the purple version since they're the same in everything else.

Then the hat. Two things really stood out to me. First was that there appears to be a clear separate face panel that can be moved up and down to cover or uncover the face. The other was that the seam of the forehead band covers where the lower flap attaches to the hat itself, but that it appears that the lower flap is fully attached on both sides to the main body of the hat. This would make the following pattern idea a little inaccurate.

However, I think that pattern, when modifed a little bit, works very well for the caplet. It is either attached to the cape, the hat, or even both. It's not quite a straight line as there is a clear angle to the front of both versions as seen in this image:

Two layers, suggesting the overlapping wrap, are also clearly visible, and in the back shot, you can see the end wrapped around as seen here:

That same diagonal line appears in every back shot I was able to find. I believe that is the end of the capelet wrapped around.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Clones of the Republic -> Expanded Universe All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: