Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=e75536f450da0d664094be9a21a3b192Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Fabric Resources for ANH Leia
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
padme9055 (Tabitha G)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wore my dress today, all day and it was a ton of fun! I found out several things, like that waist needs like some thread loops or something to hold the belt in place over the elastic band (because the elastic casing kept sliding down) or I need to tighten the elastic even more. And a hood is REALLY helpful in Arizona, because it keeps the sun off your head Razz . So I need to put on a new hood.

But other then that, I'm so thrilled with how the outfit turned out! My hair stayed in beautifully and I didn't have to fix it once (hair nets are amazing!), the dress was gorgeous, even though I was constantly adjusting the waist, and once I figured out how to keep the front piece on, the belt was awesome. So I'm almost totally happy with the outfit, save for a few minor things.

One question: My mom thinks I should put interfacing on the collar. What do you guys think?

Tabitha: a daughter, big sister, screenwriter, costumer, seamstress.
Jaxxa ()
Mos Espa Base XO
Mos Espa Base XO

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put a strip of interfacing in mine. It helps keep it flat and not folding down into itself. I tried it without and thought it was actually easier the second time with the interfacing. Even though it was even thicker with all those layers at the neck, the interfaced collar stayed straighter while I sewed it in.
Benae Quee (Kristin Mrozek Sirota)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I debuted version 5 of my dress this weekend at NYCC Smile I'm finally happy with this costume! I love my comfy boots, I love that dress actually fits and drapes properly. This 'might' be my last version, only time will tell. Now I can finally work on perfecting the buns. I'm not too crazy about my current extensions. They get the point accross, but just never look quite right to me.

padme9055 (Tabitha G)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benae, that looks SO good! I kinda see what you mean about the buns and I had the same trouble with mine (my hairdresser says she needs to see pictures when doing my hair Razz ), but they don't look too bad. Where did you get your boots?

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

padme9055 wrote:
Benae, that looks SO good! I kinda see what you mean about the buns and I had the same trouble with mine (my hairdresser says she needs to see pictures when doing my hair Razz ), but they don't look too bad. Where did you get your boots?

Thanks! The boots were from ebay Smile I jsut searched for white boots and narrowed it down by my size (10). There was a great vintage pair on there that I really wanted, but it had a reserve and I didn't feel like waiting around to get into a bidding war with other people. These were Buy It Now for only $29 after S&H Smile

padme9055 (Tabitha G)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. They look really good and the price wasn't bad either Smile .

Mieal Deneb (Rachel Orange)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I LOVE the buy it now option! Smile

I like the way your dress drapes, Benae. I'm still not happy with the waist drape on mine. I need to adjust it, but I made mine with a waist seam and elastic so it's not going to be simple. Razz

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rachel, mine also has a waist seam and elastic. I didn't make a casing or anything for the elastic though, I just stitched it directly to the seam with a simply straight stitch. I cut a piece to the length of my waist measurement (plus 1" for seam allowance on ends). I then folded over 1/2" on each end and stitched it for a clean finish. After that I stretched and pinned the elastic the full length of the waist seam in the dress (twice my waist measurement). After stitching it on, the elastic creates perfect gathers without any adjustment needed while wearing Smile

I also didn't blind hem the bottom, instead I turned in the raw edges and stitched the seam shut by hand, it was then ironed flat. I don't like blind hems, they always get caught up in my feet and look messy IMO. I opted for something more practical/comfortable for me to wear at a con/event vs movie accurate Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: