About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=5b82944ea221b6f3b6b6bd85767f9f9fMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Opinions about this Leia costume...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shiney ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:42 am    Post subject: Opinions about this Leia costume... Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Got a friend who wants to do a ANH Leia and whilst she originally wasn't thinking of the Legion/501st, .. though my 'encouragement' is working. Anyhow, she's looking at THIS and I'd like to get some opinions/suggestions. Yes the belt looks wrong, not enough 'metal features' other thoughts?

Stu.
padme9055 (Tabitha G)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other then the wrong number of metal pieces, it looks good. At least to me. I'm sure others can find something about it Smile .

Tabitha: a daughter, big sister, screenwriter, costumer, seamstress.
Mieal Deneb (Rachel Orange)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the standards:

Required Items:

1. White gown no shorter than ankle-length made in a knit fabric that is not sheer with high, fitted collar. Gown has a white, partially open hood to the waist (gathered rectangle style preferred), wrist-length to knuckle length bell sleeves and slits up the sides to or just below the knee. Gown may not have shoulder seams unless raglan, no center front seam, and lining the gown is recommended but not required
2. Belt is white leather or vinyl with slight "V" shape. It has 7 metal pieces on it, 6 matching with one larger different shape in the center front. Belt pieces may be spaced according to the wearer’s waist measurement or additional plates identical to the 6 plates made be added for an even-spaced look (though 7 plates total are preferred and no less than 7 plates allowed).
3. White leather or non-shiny vinyl flat or low (1/4" to 1 1/2" in height) soled at least mid calf high boots without laces or logos.
4. Hair is parted in or near the center and pulled into large buns that cover the ears. Buns are twisted, not braided. No braided hair pieces, wig with braided buns or fake hair “ear-muffs” with headband. Naturally-occurring hair color only; no bangs.

It's hard to tell the quality of it just from the few pictures. I don't think it is self-lined, which I would highly recommend. The fact that there's a zipper with key-hole slit is odd. The original gown just had the key-hole slit without a zipper. It isn't the greatest, but I think it fits the bare minimum standards...as long as it has the slits in the sides of the gown. The pictures on the auction don't show if it does or not.

Otter (Andrea C.)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought this dress for fun as my first Leia costume. If she wants to be approved formal, look elsewhere. This dress was basically torn apart using our costume standards. The zipper is wrong, you can't have a back seam, plus the sleeves are a little short (can be fixed with giving her better measurements, I'm sure) and they are sewn on; the proper way is to make it out of one piece of fabric with no seams (except on sides of dress). I'm fairly certain this can be approved informal, but not 100%. With some alterations, possibly. Also, my collar was a little large even with proper measurements. The hood is wonderful, but the zipper goes from around my butt to the very top of the collar (as opposed to closing the collar with a hook and eye). It's also really see-through so she'll need to wear something under it.

I've spoken with the lady about making a more accurate version but she never got back to me. She is incredibly nice and I love my dress. But I think with the revision of the standards, it may not be the best option. I'm going to sew a new one myself and go from there.

Also! You have to ask her to sew the slits in and she'll also give you an extra "plate". Be forewarned that the "plates" are made of felt and this isn't acceptable, even informal. I simply asked her to send me the cut out vinyl belt with the buttons so that I could make the metal plates and assemble it together.

Correct me if I'm wrong LCJs, but I think it's acceptable to minimum standards? I know it's comfortable as anything to wear; just needs to be lined.
Aysel ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought that dress to begin with as well.....really it isn't worth the money when you can find better fabric and do it yourself as this dress in incredibly easy to do. To get that dress to formal standards there's a lot of work that needs to go into it. Pam has an awesome tutorial that's just a couple threads down to help get this dress done. Really I encourage your friend to try doing this one herself, even if she has no sewing skills (I didn't have any machine sewing skills before I did this one) this dress is super simple.

501st Flagship Eclipse Costume Mentor
Kashyyyk Base Commanding Officer 2012/2013
Kashyyyk Base Membership Officer 2013/2014
Shiney ()

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great guys, thanks for the replies, I'll get her to check out the comments and proceed Smile

Stu.
padawan_rachael (Rachael James)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats the one i altered ^_^
Daritha (Christian)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinions about this Leia costume... Reply with quote

Shiney wrote:
Hi guys,

Got a friend who wants to do a ANH Leia and whilst she originally wasn't thinking of the Legion/501st,
I like it when that happens. ^^

GBY | Temple Assistant Master
KJO | Member

Join the KJO - Form a Temple - Have fun!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: