About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=b9a6fe8bdd368e017eea30601f545afcMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Question: Other Sentators

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
padme9055 (Tabitha G)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:23 pm    Post subject: Question: Other Sentators Reply with quote

So, I want to make a dress like Leia's senator outfit, but I don't look like Leia, so I'm not sure I want to submit as Leia.

If I was to make a background senator, say another Junior Senator from Alderaan or another planet, how would I submit that to RL?

Tabitha: a daughter, big sister, screenwriter, costumer, seamstress.
Daritha (Christian)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good question for a start would be: How do you look, anyway? ^^

A wig often works wonders and we have some Leias who are blonde and in costume. So, the hair shouldn't be the greatest Do(n't) issue.

In general, you can do every senatorial dress you like. Sheltay Retrac bears some similarity to Leia's dress. And there's always the EU. ^^

However, if you're going for Leia, Pam's got a nice tutorial for her costume: http://chucrew.com/Leia/leia.html

GBY | Temple Assistant Master
KJO | Member

Join the KJO - Form a Temple - Have fun!
padme9055 (Tabitha G)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm a tall blonde girl who is not on the slim side. Smile

If you are a blonde Leia, are you still permitted to appear in costume at formal events? If I make a Leia costume, I want to be able to wear it as much as I can. That's my biggest concern, that if I make a Leia costume and a formal event comes up before my Jedi outfit approved, I won't be able to attend in costume. Which would stink Razz .

neimhaille ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look through the members page and look at all the Leia's, they are all considered formal- unless specifically in the informal section Wink
http://www.rebellegion.com/members_gal.php?ID=7
(link to informals is at the top)

While I wore a wig for both of my costumes I also was asked if I'd make my Slave Leia official (I haven't) and I was a flaming red head Wink There is a reason I tend to gravitate towards the red headed characters (who all seem to be bad in the EU.....) and it's less to do with my hair colour than my hairline which doesn't hide easily under wigs Wink

You would need to discuss with your local group how they go about choosing characters for events (some openings or premiers etc. will have stricter rules than others) but there is nothing stopping you in the charter from being classed as formal Smile
Princess Dee ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 6 (View more...)
Hurricane Sandy Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m not on the slim side, and that’s no problem for formal approval. Neither is hair color as long as it’s a natural occurring color – like blond. And we have a tall Leia here in our base, that's not a problem either.

But like Michaela said, locally if there is a uber-formal event they may ask for only those that ‘look-a-like’ to Leia as scene in the movie. And you may need to sit that out, or use another costume.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea you don't have to look exactly like Leia to be a formal Leia, as for red heads Tenel Ka wasn't evil Smile but if your worried about looking more like Leia you can always use a wig.

501st Flagship Eclipse Costume Mentor
Kashyyyk Base Commanding Officer 2012/2013
Kashyyyk Base Membership Officer 2013/2014
padme9055 (Tabitha G)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you everyone for the reassuring words Smile . I feel more confident now to move ahead as a blonde Leia. I think I will still get my Jedi outfit up to formal, though, just in case something uber formal comes up and I want to attend Smile .

Thank you all again!

Leia (Vera Campbell)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the same thing that gets me stuck on doing a Leia costume, and I went ahead and did it anyway. As long as your hair is naturally colored and YOU are having fun, that's all that matters Smile In fact, I wore a wig with mine, but I hate how it looks. I'm now considering just making a new partial hair-piece and going with my blonde hair so I'll be more comfortable. Don't be discouraged Smile I think the only time it might matter is if there is a huge LucasFilms Official event, and those don't crop up often and usually only in California.

And if all you want is something similarly styled, I'd say cruise wookieepedia and other characters pictures, you can find similarly styled characters. While not quite as simple as Leia styled, here's some examples of Blonde senators: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lexi_Dio
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Ivor_Drake
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Silya_Shessaun

rebelshaven.blogspot.com
verdaera.deviantart.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
padme9055 (Tabitha G)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for your kind words, Vera. I naturally have longer then waist-length blonde hair, so I can make the buns just with my hair. I'm glad uber-formal events don't happen much. But I will work on my Jedi outfit in the meantime Smile .

I'm going to see about ordering the fabric in the next two weeks or so and I'm starting to get excited Smile .

Mieal Deneb (Rachel Orange)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Besides, it's always nice to have more than one costume just to change things up a bit. If you take a look at my profile, I have tons of various different costumes: Leia, Padme, [young] Beru, generic Jedi, generic pilot...that way if something calls for generic, I'm good. If something calls for a face character, I'm good. If something calls for prequel I'm good, Original trilogy, I'm good...you get the idea. Wink So....definitely do Leia AND Jedi. Smile

Lora Skywalker ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must admit I love the Lexi and Silya outfits. Very elegant. Amadalia I think we could always use more background characters around.

Good luck with making senatorial Leia.

http://headoftheclones.proboards59.com/index.cgi -if you like FF of the crazy kind. Wink Clone Leader
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: