About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=77232c448037daf3fd3aec7afa815d51Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Han Belt Scratchbuild

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Fringe Weaponry and Props
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Reven (Chris Knight)

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:48 am    Post subject: Han Belt Scratchbuild Reply with quote

I am trying to get a Han costume together for halloween. I was looking to throw together something relatively fast and dirty without some of the formally required components, and then build from there...maybe to apply for membership by december.

I had originally planned to grab a costumebase belt to start with, and then work up to something more authentic. They seemed PASSABLE for what I needed for the price required.

Then I realized the bloody thing was going to be nearly 100$ by the time I factored in shipping. hrm. For that price I could put together a whole leather working kit...

Any thoughts on this from the more experienced Leather workers? I have absolutely NO experience working with leather. However! I live in the SF bay area, and a tandy leather is only an hour's drive across the bay.

How time consuming/insane/unrealistic is this for a first time project? I've read jedimika's guide, and it honestly doesn't seem too bad.
jedimika ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Reven! Sounds like you're on the right track. It's great you have a Tandy Leather (somewhat) close by. I would give them a call and see what classes they're offering now. That's the way I started, just by taking some holster making classes my Tandy Leather offered. As a raw beginner without the classes you'll probably find the holster making slow and frustrating and we want you to love this hobby. Either way a Halloween deadline will probably be tight. Also, as you've read the holster thread you've probably seen the current problem is finding a good source for the metal Han buckles. Since you're looking for fast and dirty I would take LOTS of holster reference pictures with you to your Tandy and see what other options they could suggest.
Keep us posted and let us know what else we can do for you.

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice!

I think taking a holster making class is probably a good idea. The only thing I'm really worried about is proper technique for edge finishing, but then, again, I have no clue what I'm getting into.

For the buckles: Yeah. I've put a lot of thought into how to make those, from cutting blanks with a dremel to getting a machine shop to make me some. Ultimately I decided to make some vector files and have them laser cut at a local machine shop. Its painfully expensive (I understand matt sold his for 60$ This is more than twice that.) But the guy does good work AND welding, so I won't need to JB the different pieces together.

I'm still fiddling with sizes. Do you know what the dimensions of your buckles are?

Ultimately, yeah. Considering how far I have to go on the Jacket and the shirt I'm thinking I'll bite the bullet and go with costume base just for the halloween ball.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Fringe Weaponry and Props All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: