About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=9e67c687ae1fc60b88a153094c77f5ceMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

"Old Ben" WIP
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Obi-Wan Kenobi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Witness ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:15 pm    Post subject: "Old Ben" WIP Reply with quote

Well, it's been a while coming to the beginning of a WIP, but I'm nearing the realization of my Old Ben costume. As I bring components to completion I will post pictures for your disapproval Smile If things work out, I will apply to the Rebel Legion as "Old Ben", but if not, maybe as a generic Jedi, we'll see how it goes.

The only thing I am not pleased with so far is my boots. I bought a better set of those cheaper costume boots, not the cheap cheap ones, but the ones with the black tread. I think I will have to make due with those until I can source something better. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Luke_Skywalker (Frank Sommer)
Legion Council
Legion Council

Medals: 8 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Witness,

I'm looking forward to see some pictures.

MTFBWY

Witness ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the belt I bought from MPfilmcraft. This is his stock photo, but mine looks just like it except mine has two snap rivets near the buckle instead of one. He has also shipped it to me with a silver weather bucket and buttons, so I had to paint them brass and weather them and bake them myself.

Last edited by Witness () on Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Witness ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased a resin casting of an ANH saber from someone on RPF. it looked like this when I received it.

So I took it slightly apart, Dremeled out some of the grooves and replaced the bubble strip. Then some new paint and weathering. I'm going to get some chrome paint and redo the clamp and pommel.

I'm going to use this for my formal application as it should pass muster. I want to get together a really good luxeon saber at some point, but it's going to cost me a pretty penny in Russrep parts and then getting it converted. I'll be holding off on that until I can afford it. In the meantime, I'm doing some mods to a Force FX ROTS Obi-Wan to make it look more ANH. New Paint, removed the covertec clip, replaced circuit card with a bubble strip. Working on weathering. it won't pass RL muster, but it will do to make the kids go Oooooo Aaaaahhhhhh.
Witness ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the boots I am unhappy with, I purchased some of these in brown. With my inner robes going down to my feet, realistically only the toes will show on them so I felt they would do.

I will be looking for a better boot eventually. Help?
Luke_Skywalker (Frank Sommer)
Legion Council
Legion Council

Medals: 8 (View more...)
Celebration Europe 2 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using riding boots for my costume.

Witness ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quickly weathered up my fx saber. It looks a little better when not taken with a flash. I'm happy enough with it. I know it won't pass Legion muster, so I'll be using it till I can afford a better glow stick.
Ky-Wan Zann ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah you could use Obi-Wan ROTS boots for the costume I imagine. Nice job on the wheathering

'Just because I don't like to fight. Doesn't mean I can't'

'They can be a great people Kal-El they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way'

'JASON' Detachment
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DragonStar (Rob)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We costumers are often our worst critics. The resin saber you modified looks great. Regarding the weathered MR saber, you are technically correct that it is not a screen accurate representation of Ben's saber in ANH. However, in my experience during a troop, nothing engages the kids like a functioning saber. So my personal take on it is to sacrifice some accuracy in favor of a better overall experience for the kids. You have at least weathered the saber in an attempt to bring it closer to screen accurate.

Boots are sadly the hardest part of a Jedi outfit and I commiserate with your struggle. I have posted some ideas for finding Jedi boots:

http://sites.google.com/site/robsjediflowchart/got_boots
http://sites.google.com/site/robsjediflowchart/jedi_boot_tradeoffs
http://sites.google.com/site/robsjediflowchart/used_boots
http://sites.google.com/site/robsjediflowchart/used_boots
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, great stuff thanks Rob!

I had been doing some searching around last night and found these. I think they might be perfect for my needs. Not overly sure I want to be dropping $300 on boots, but I guess I could also wear them around myself. Perhaps my wife will be generous and let me get some when I sell some more biker scout boots.

Last edited by Witness () on Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Witness ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe something like this or this. I don't need knee high boots with Ben, only my toes will be seen, so the sole and toe is most important.
jungilizt (Eddie)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just found a really nice pair of Fryes boots on Ebay for about 60 some odd dollars after shipping. They are 15 inches including the heel, so probably roughly 13 inches of leather up the front of the leg. You would be amazed at what kinda stuff you can find on there. Lots of nice used boots for under a hundred and even new knee high stuff for a couple of hundred.
Jedi serve others rather than ruling over them, for the good of the galaxy.
Jedi seek to improve themselves through knowledge and training.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
DragonStar (Rob)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to echo what I put in my boot tutorial and what Eddie just said, I strongly suggest you look at ebay. For example, you could save $100 off the price of new boots and about $220 off if you bought used:

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m570.l1313&_nkw=Frye+Jesse+Campus&_sacat=See-All-Categories

I have never paid more than $80 for knee-high brown leather boots. And those were vintage Hudson Herter boots from the 1950's in excellent condition.

EDIT: If you move beyond Jesse boots, here are all of the Frye Men's boots:

http://clothing.shop.ebay.com/Mens-Shoes-/63850/i.html?_nkw=Frye+Campus&_catref=1&_dmpt=US_Women_s_Shoes&_fln=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m282
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I know, I'm more looking at styles. I won't be spending $300 on a set of boots. eBay will find the boots for me eventually. I'll be wearing my cheap boots until I can get a lucky eBay find in my size. Problem is my boots need to be brown and a specific look.
Witness ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben Nye Hair Dye test. I think next time I will add two tones, the white and some white with yellow food coloring to provide a bit of dual tone.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Obi-Wan Kenobi All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: