About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=eb702429db1680199fb9ded4d8403f8cMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

B-Wing Pilot : 10.1.12 FINISHED (pg.4)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Purple Dagger (Sean Phillips)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:41 am    Post subject: B-Wing Pilot : 10.1.12 FINISHED (pg.4) Reply with quote

Some progress on my B-Winger...
It now is covered with wood filler and is being sanded, soon to be sealed (not sure how yet). I am having some trouble when it comes to the "greeblies" and such. Can anyone help to identify, with some detail, what they look like? I know there is a limited number of images. I was hoping someone has seen the real deal in person and might be able to fine tune what I have going. This is the best I have for details...

Also as far as what have do you think it would be vacuum table worthy?
Thanks

Last edited by Purple Dagger (Sean Phillips) on Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:14 am; edited 8 times in total
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not see anything on partsofsw but then I did not really spend that much time looking. Might find something via thier links.

Bob
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I poked around and followed a few links. Nothing as of yet. It will end up as small black knob here, toggle rocker there...just not enough pics right now. Figured I'd post for the heck of it any way.
Jedi Loreen (Lori Procopio)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the greeblies are various computer cable connectors.
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your chestbox is looking very good so far!

As for the greeblies they seem to differ from chestbox-to-chestbox as there are different types. For the one you're doing... It looks to me like various computer pieces. There are two black "boxes" near the bottom of the box, which could be some type of housing. There also looks to be a computer connector on the far right side, and one near the middle on the left side.

Your best bet is to just hit a computer store that sells used parts, like Free Geek or something, or a place that sells computer pieces (Fry's has a lot) and see if you can find anything that sort of resembles the pieces.

B-wing Pilot - Anomid Jedi

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jaxxa ()
Mos Espa Base XO
Mos Espa Base XO

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The boxes at the bottom look like you could use AC adapters or cell phone chargers, complete with wires coming off of them.

For the prongs in the socket just right of center, that reminds me of a computer power plug. Something like the male end of one of these, only black instead of white plastic.

Hope that gives you some further information to work with.
Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, by the way, what did you make this out of? Any special tools that you used? I'm impressed by how straight all your lines are.
I'd like to make another version of my chestbox for vacuum forming, and am trying to gather some ideas as to how I could do it. Foam and PaperClay worked out okay (like how I did my current chestbox), but it was hard to get the lines straight and sharp, and stop other edges from rounding out.

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE: Sanded a thin coat of wood filler and primered.

Quote:
Blue Banshee Leader (Alex) : Oh, by the way, what did you make this out of? Any special tools that you used? I'm impressed by how straight all your lines are.

Styrofoam and clay originally. The clay was drying poorly so I took all that off the foam and replaced it with Basswood from the hobby store. Some wood filler in the seems and high/low areas, sand, and prime. Thats where I am now. Only tools really were good sharp exacto knife, glue with accelerator, circle stencils, and a metal straight edge. Time and patience being as important as anything.

Computer parts circa 1983 are what I am on the hunt for now. If anyone knows of a central or south florida computer recycling shop that would have something please post or PM me. Something resin cast worthy would be great. I think i will post a numbered image later to help with the placement of things.

Thanks everyone for the interest.

Last edited by Purple Dagger (Sean Phillips) on Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:30 am; edited 1 time in total
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you start doing pulls, do you plan on taking a few small orders? If so ... put me down for 1.

Looks fantastic!

Bob
HazardThree (Jon Paulson)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 1 (View more...)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"yum, chocolate!"

J/K, it's really looking good Sean. Can you also post some pics from different angles so we can see the depth? Also, can you post your measurements so we can get an indication of size?

Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purple Dagger wrote:

Styrofoam and clay originally. The clay was drying poorly so I took all that off the foam and replaced it with Basswood from the hobby store. Some wood filler in the seems and high/low areas, sand, and prime. Thats where I am now. Only tools really were good sharp exacto knife, glue with accelerator, circle stencils, and a metal straight edge. Time and patience being as important as anything.

Hm, sounds like the same thing I did-- the foam and clay that is. How the heck did you get those beautiful edges? >>;;

So that wood is able to be cut by hand without power tools? Wood seems like a good thing to go with, as it'd be able to give nice, straight, clean edges... but I lack decent saws or anything capable of cutting wood very well.

Granted wood might be a bit heavy, but I don't plan to wear the next version. I just want to make another version for vacuum forming... I really don't want to do that on my current chestbox; just in case something happens to it, it's my only chestbox.

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some quick measured photos:

Scaled the images smaller but photo bucket is acting up.

10 1/8 x 11 1/8 inches at its widest points (see image)
Big Circle = 2 1/2 inches
Two Smaller Circles = 3/4 inch
Large Left Rectangle = 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 inches
Lower Center Trench = 5/8 inch
Upper Center Trench = 1 1/2 inches
Main Body Left = 1 5/8 thick
Right Lower Body = 1 3/4 thick
Right Upper Body = 2 1/16 thick
Upper Center Body = 2 1/2 thick, raised 3/4 off base (see image)
Upper Trench to Upper Center Boby = 1 1/2 inches (see image)

If any other angles or images are needed/wanted let me know. I am glad to share.

I was planning on pulling some if i could get a local to PM me for a look at what I have to make sure it would work well and help get plastics etc.

I would like to do it as a kit with the greeblies and all.

Last edited by Purple Dagger (Sean Phillips) on Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:31 am; edited 1 time in total
darthhair (Jeff Rodriquez)
Mountain Base CO
Mountain Base CO

Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is really nice.

The only problems I see are a lot of under cuts and and 90 degree angles down. Also if your materials aren't rated for heat up to 350 degrees F. you will have an ugly pull.

I had those problems on my first chest box mold. The primer under the high heat paint couldn't handle the heat.
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

darthhair wrote:
That is really nice.

The only problems I see are a lot of under cuts and and 90 degree angles down. Also if your materials aren't rated for heat up to 350 degrees F. you will have an ugly pull.

I had those problems on my first chest box mold. The primer under the high heat paint couldn't handle the heat.

One thing I wonder about is if those minor details, like the panel lines on the left side (left side of the image, opposite the ruler) would be picked up by vacuum forming. I mean, I'm not trying to bash the work or anything, I just don't know much about vacuum forming so I was wondering for future reference.
It seems like the plastic wouldn't be able to slip into those little cuts to make it through the final mold. Seems like that section would just end up being completely flat. But again, I don't know...

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Alex:One thing I wonder about is if those minor details, like the panel lines on the left side (left side of the image, opposite the ruler) would be picked up by vacuum forming.

The image below looks pulled and had similar details as I was trying for.

This image is what I was envisioning as an after, not exact of course. It does have a far amount of detail as far as I can tell for a pulled part. That is why I posted for tips and feed back Smile. Mine may not take the detail as well but it can be done it would seem. I'm still new here too and gathering how this whole thing works in my head.
Quote:
darthhair:The only problems I see are a lot of under cuts and and 90 degree angles down. Also if your materials aren't rated for heat up to 350 degrees F. you will have an ugly pull.

How does everyone else deal with the mold vs. heat issue ?
Can tunnels be added to the mold to increase air flow out of the 90 degree cut areas for a better pull?
Also I read somewhere about getting small areas with a heat gun...yes/no?

Last edited by Purple Dagger (Sean Phillips) on Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: