Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=ba384fdf969d7ef6af8c5ad8431a6ca3Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

New Han Solo in progress
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SteveSolo (Steve Elliot)
Assistant Captain of the Guard
Assistant Captain of the Guard

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have traveled with multiple blasters to and from multiple states. I have them packed in my luggage and never had a problem. My blasters are pretty realistic.

Phoenix 17
Nikkos Khann (Conley Nichols)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard first of all!

As far as blasters and traveling, you can have your blaster in your checked luggage but TSA will not allow you to have it in your carryons. If you hand your bag over to the TSA for screening, you may want to let them know you have a prop weapon. You can actually check real weapons in your checked luggage as long as they are properly packed and you declare them to the ticket agents and TSA.

'I've got a bad feeling about this!'
Docking Bay 94 Commanding Officer 2011-2014
Comlink Admin - Fringe LCJ,
Charter Committee
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a great idea. I wonder if this is a good topic for a new thread for the entire RL to see.

"How to fly your costume to an event" or how to "Pack your blaster".

Kind of a step by step of what you need to do to avoid those pesky strip searches... unless your into that. Laughing

Bob
furystorm (Andrew Barton)

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So after just a short wait, I've picked up the extra funds for my MR ESB blaster, and I'm just waiting to send payment. My first purchase toward the costume. I wanted the blaster to be secured before moving ahead with other items. Also, I'm strictly using paypal funds for this entire costume, so I'll only be able to commit to an item once I have the funds in place from sales. I'm thinking the next thing would be patterns for the ESB jacket from Dawn Anderson Designs. But before I order these patterns, i wanted to run it by the experts. Here is the link, which I'm sure many of you are already aware of:

http://www.dawnandersondesigns.com/servlet/Detail?no=4

Are there any issues I need to be aware of with this pattern, or is it going to be authentic the way it comes?

Thanks again everybody! Very Happy
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is the best pattern for the jacket out there. Before you make the jacket I would suggest you do some research on the jacket. We have done color studies on the forums here and if your wanting it to be movie accurate you may want to do some reading.

Far to many asume the jacket is blue, and I can understand why. Now do not get me wrong, you can get into the RL with a blue jacket, but we have new information that says otherwise. A good thread showing this in Monte's build thread "My New Project thread" by Montee

Just so you know.. the jacket is a form of charcoal... which has a tendancy to show off sa blue under certain lighting. SW revisited shows this very well.

Good luck!

Bob

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Robert. Your responses to my inquiries are very helpful and informative. Personally, I "try" to never assume anything and am committed to following through with the best research I can attain in my goal of a screen accurate Han Solo. I'm definitely feeling the charcoal color, and it may prove a challenge to find the appropriate material which would photograph with the blue hue. I'm sure a lot of that is the lighting, especially the original film set lighting. I'm even noticing the pockets seem to pull away at the bottoms. I'm wondering if they are not attached at the bottom or if they are just thick pockets. Should be interesting to check this pattern out and start compiling reference images. I want to get this as close to perfect as possible.

Regardless, I've ordered the Dawn Anderson pattern. I'm not even going to consider building any clothing item until I lose the extra 20 pounds which should not be on my body. This is a very nice side effect of wanting an accurate Han Solo costume. I'm finally truly motivated to work the extra weight off.

Also, I've been looking into introductory sewing classes. I'm not sure if I want to go that route or simply commission a professional to build my pants, shirt, and jacket. Time will tell. I do know I want to spend the time making my own bloodstripes.

More later, thanks again everyone! Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been away for awhile, but Han is always at the back of my mind. I knew 100% that I did not want to rush for a Halloween premier this year, but more likely next year and then of course CVI!

I'm not sure if I posted before, but I was able to secure the MR ESB version of Han's blaster. I don't mind the extra weight (of course, I have not hauled it around yet), and the thing just looks amazing. It is on display in my collection room. Very nice piece. The icing on the cake was that I received #1980 of the run. I was amazed. I asked the seller why there were two plaques and he came back with the info that I did indeed have #1980. I thought it was just the year the film came out, since I have no other replicas from MR.

Anyway, I'm back and looking to see what I can add next to the costume.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been away for quite some time, but I'm back, and more motivated than ever to get to work on my Han Solo, especially since there is so much lead up time to CVI. Bought tickets the day the show was announced, and I'm eager to be in Orlando again for a repeat of the awesome time I had last year.

Working on my physical fitness first before I go into picking up any expensive costume pieces, especially the holster and pants, and such. Already been on the elliptical every day for the past week and to the top of a pretty rough peak here in Red Rock. Going to do an eleven mile hike on Monday. Getting ready for CVI is great motivation!

Just really excited to be back and I can see I've got a lot of catching up to do just in the Smuggler section alone. I'll try to refrain from asking too many questions about the costume until I'm set to move ahead, and have all my research on this fine forum and beyond completed.

Cheers everyone! Really excited to be back on board! han solo
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feel free to ask... just remember that many of your questions have been asked before and are probably on the forums already.

I would start with the FAQ section, then go from there.

You can always send me a PM if you want to keep it off the boards.

We are here to help!

Smile

Bob
Masterbean (Brian Bean)
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome...good luck with your endeavors.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still reading and learning...

Today, I have come to the determination to make the droid caller my next endeavor. Working on this part of the project, along with the difficulty posed in tracking down the Kobold itself, should give me ample time to cut a few inches off my waist in preparation for pants and holster...

Questions:

1. Is the Kobold Flash what I am after if I intend to build an ESB Han? (Like I said, I'm still reading and learning.)

2. What are the other "tools" on Han's holster for the ESB costume?

3. May I wear glasses while trooping as Han Solo? (I can't see a foot in front of my face, and have not worn contacts since eight grade, and hated every moment of having them on my eyeballs.)
Masterbean (Brian Bean)
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

furystorm wrote:

Questions:

1. Is the Kobold Flash what I am after if I intend to build an ESB Han? (Like I said, I'm still reading and learning.)

2. What are the other "tools" on Han's holster for the ESB costume?

3. May I wear glasses while trooping as Han Solo? (I can't see a foot in front of my face, and have not worn contacts since eight grade, and hated every moment of having them on my eyeballs.)

1) yes, though there are tutorials out there on how to make one from parts found at a hardware store

2) One of the tools has been identified, the other has not. The one that has not, to me, looks like a tube amp of some sort. But I would be shocked if that's what it was, because the tube's aren't exactly durable, but it's what it looked like. There would have been many tube amps to be found in junk at the time of shooting the film...so it's possible.
Another piece is "...half of a carburetor from a Revell V8 visible engine model kit." (as quoted by www.partsofsw.com), they also describe it as: Part #52 - Carburetor (rear half)
I believe CE sells resin sets of the tool kit: http://www.corellianexports.com/

3) Well, I think that's more your call. If you refuse to wear contacts and don't want to be blind, you don't really have a choice.
sandtrooperscout (Mark Tomasello)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was probably a tube or capacitor of some kind. The replica I've got (from CE, by the way) looks like half of a CO2 cartridge, with a flat end and 3 prongs sticking out.

Nikkos Khann (Conley Nichols)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may possibly try contacts that are out now. I wear them and every time I get new ones they are getting better and easier to wear, I almost forget I have them in at times.

As far as the pockets for the jacket, they are not patch pockets, they are more pouch pockets and are made with a gusset. The Dawn Anderson pattern shows you how to make both versions.

'I've got a bad feeling about this!'
Docking Bay 94 Commanding Officer 2011-2014
Comlink Admin - Fringe LCJ,
Charter Committee
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
sandtrooperscout (Mark Tomasello)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They appear to be bag pockets. The body of the pocket isnt attached to the jacket proper. There are several action pics where you can see the "bag" look of the pocket.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: