About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=b8aec5ef90e7dc544b7a9714eb8f2576Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

My Y-Wing Pilot Build (Img Heavy)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrimsonPhoenix ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:08 am    Post subject: My Y-Wing Pilot Build (Img Heavy) Reply with quote

Thats right some of you may remember my thread on designing the perfect Y-Wing vest. Well after a year of procrastination I have decided to get it over with and for lack of a better phrase "finish this damn costume!"

My goal is to create the most film accurate Y-Wing costume in the legion. This will be difficult with what little visual references there are and the resources available to me but I will try my best. Hours of staring at blury pictures and planning and im ready to give it a shot.

We will start with the helmet. I have a richies kit and I must say while it is a nice kit it is flawed in many ways and will need alot of work to look film accurate. First dry fitting out of the box no trimming was fairly nice since usually richies stuff is kinda all over the place so in terms of matching shells it looks like I lucked out.

Now we run into our first problem, the flat chin. there are no Y-Wing helmets in the film that have a flat chin, they are all round. I think RA was fooled by this pic in particular

From the side because of the lighting and the decals it appears flat but none of the helmets had a flat chin, there was only one model Y-Wing helmet and the chin was curved like this

The next problem is the shap of the helmet particularly the lenth of the jaw line. Its way too long. and leaves big gaps so it looks like your head is floating inside the helmet when in ROTJ it was much closer fitting around the face.

[/img]

My remedy to fix it is to essentially cut out a piece of the jaw line and basically shorten it by bring the two halves back together. This also fixes the uber long greeblie slot.

As for the chin I will need to cut away some of it and sculpt and new curved chin but this will require some thought and planning so I get it right and it looks good.

I will try to keep the updates coming.

Also my final vest design (fabric parts only) more to come on that later though Smile

HazardThree (Jon Paulson)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you're back and ready to tackle this again.

I'd like to help by offering any and all info I have on the costume so if you PM me your email I'll shoot it all off to you. (Be warned, your flak vest design is already in my archive.) Smile

Also, a couple months ago I updated the Y-wing standards so be sure to take a look. I think you'll see they've changed quite a bit from the original.

And I can't wait to see what you do with the helmet, If it works, I've got one here I'd like to try moding as well.

dirty tusken ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm diggin this build man. I love the helmet mods and I'm glad i'm not the only one that thought the flat chin looked weird. keep us updated. you got a fan here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
CrimsonPhoenix ()

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HazardThree wrote:
Glad you're back and ready to tackle this again.

I'd like to help by offering any and all info I have on the costume so if you PM me your email I'll shoot it all off to you. (Be warned, your flak vest design is already in my archive.) Smile

Also, a couple months ago I updated the Y-wing standards so be sure to take a look. I think you'll see they've changed quite a bit from the original.

And I can't wait to see what you do with the helmet, If it works, I've got one here I'd like to try moding as well.

Thanks for the encourangement. I have practically every picture and photo known to exist outside of whathever lucasfilm is hiding including Rebel Assault.

The only thing that confuses me in the standards is this

"Side strapping should be white and 1.5" - 2" wide"

I cant disagree with the sizing but I dont see any straps that are any color other than the same as the rest of the vest. You may want to add the that ribbed shoulder strap is actually made of webbing material different from the vest and sewn on top of the fabric strap probably for support considering the small size on the harness and the amount of junk on the front of the vest. You can tell by looking at the weaved texture of the material.

Quote:
i'm diggin this build man. I love the helmet mods and I'm glad i'm not the only one that thought the flat chin looked weird. keep us updated. you got a fan here.

Thanks

Trust me im not looking forward to it even as simple as it is but the flat chin annoys the crap out of me. luckily it looks like ill just have to sculpt and slope right on top of the flat section and match the lines to make it look curved which wont be too difficult, just a hastle.
Kievan Mereel (Sam Coulson)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the research you've done so far on the flak vest, I have the old templates too for when I get around to it. Looking forward to your build.
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrimsonPhoenix wrote:

Thanks for the encourangement. I have practically every picture and photo known to exist outside of whathever lucasfilm is hiding including Rebel Assault.

I thought you'd mentioned that somewhere else, that's why I hoped if I sent you what I had, you could send me back anything that was missing. Very Happy

CrimsonPhoenix wrote:
The only thing that confuses me in the standards is this

"Side strapping should be white and 1.5" - 2" wide"

I cant disagree with the sizing but I dont see any straps that are any color other than the same as the rest of the vest.

The side strap color standard was based on similarities to the A & B-wing vests (which we have better pics on) as well as the current Y-wing info/pics we have. Such as these:

(in the lower right forground)

CrimsonPhoenix wrote:
You may want to add the that ribbed shoulder strap is actually made of webbing material different from the vest and sewn on top of the fabric strap probably for support considering the small size on the harness and the amount of junk on the front of the vest. You can tell by looking at the weaved texture of the material.

That may be, but we were trying to upgrade the standards, not over-tighten them. And frankly, there were some items we didn't want to over-specify since there simply isn't enough clear, reliable photo reference at this time. Hopefully the more pics that surface, the better the standards can get. That's what's happened recently with the B-wing Costume.

But ... as I mentioned earlier, if you have any NEW reference to share with the RLSC archive .... Laughing

CrimsonPhoenix ()

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon ive seen all of those pics because many of them are mine that I pulled off the DVD and posted in my first thread.

remember the Y-Wing vest is not the B/A-Wing vest so you cant make an assumption that the Y-Wing straps are the same especially since in all of those photos they are clearly at least the same color as the back straps.

For example in this image you can clearly see the color difference between the white web belt and the beige side strap.
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually to me they look about the same (at least on my screen) due to fuzziness and lighting. (it's a little like the white/grey argument about the RFT helmets).

But, for the sake of judging clarification, if someone did submit a vest with side straps the same as the vest color, that would not be something that would prohibit approval. In fact, since it's so close, I doubt it would even show up on our radar.

What we really wanted to avoid was the black or dark straps that some submissions are fond of.

CrimsonPhoenix ()

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HazardThree wrote:
Actually to me they look about the same (at least on my screen) due to fuzziness and lighting. (it's a little like the white/grey argument about the RFT helmets).

But, for the sake of judging clarification, if someone did submit a vest with side straps the same as the vest color, that would not be something that would prohibit approval. In fact, since it's so close, I doubt it would even show up on our radar.

What we really wanted to avoid was the black or dark straps that some submissions are fond of.

Thats fine, as long as it wont hold my submission back.
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, I think you'll be fine.

Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work on the helmet so far. It looks very good!

Though regarding the flak vest... I was looking at the images posted here and maybe it's just me but it looks like the shoulder straps are white (webbing or material I can't tell), but fit into beige "sleeves" at the back. It looks like there's maybe three or four inches of white, and the rest is all a beige sleeve.
But I can't tell for certain, and it could be the lighting or nothing at all. Than again, it looks like this in some pictures but not in others. It's possible that there were more than one style of vest, like the A-Wing vests.

B-wing Pilot - Anomid Jedi

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
CrimsonPhoenix ()

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue Banshee Leader wrote:
Nice work on the helmet so far. It looks very good!

Though regarding the flak vest... I was looking at the images posted here and maybe it's just me but it looks like the shoulder straps are white (webbing or material I can't tell), but fit into beige "sleeves" at the back. It looks like there's maybe three or four inches of white, and the rest is all a beige sleeve.
But I can't tell for certain, and it could be the lighting or nothing at all. Than again, it looks like this in some pictures but not in others. It's possible that there were more than one style of vest, like the A-Wing vests.

The ribbed shoulder strap is actually webbing on top of a fabric strap but I dont know the details beyond that because there is not good shots of the back strap. Im just going to improvise.

Edit: I found this pic of the strap on the B-Wing vest which is essentially the same shape and design as the Y-Wing vest but in black. The clips on the shoulders are attached to a black webbing strap which appears to go inside a fabric sleeve concealing it under the rest of the strap. Perhaps you are correct and the white piped webbing strap on the Y-wing also goes into a sleeve on the back strap.

left arrow is pointing at the webbing, right arrow is pointing at the sleeve and the circle shows there the webbing enters the sleeve.

On a side note I have updates on the helmet. I trimmed the helmet a little thinner and or less wide and glue the two halves together and bound them with an uber seam which kind of looks like a spinal column but its sturdy as hell. Sadly the glue I used is a plastic glue which melts the plastic together and it caused a bit of warping which is why there is soo much bondo despite the fact the two halves fot together almost perfectly. It will look smooth when its all sanded though.

Ive only done the dome so far because of the jaw and chin mods im planning.[/img]
CrimsonPhoenix ()

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well its time for the make or break part of the helmet where I shorten the jawline. Here is some pics of the areas of have cordoned off to be cut out. Its about half an inch off each side.

Ill post pics when im done.

Edit Update!

It came out great, better than I expected. The gap in the jaw was going to happen anyways but it will be filled when I sculpt a round chin.

Luke_Skywalker (Frank Sommer)
Legion Council
Legion Council

Medals: 8 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work CrimsonPhoenix. The helmet looks really good.

MTFBWY

CrimsonPhoenix ()

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small update because working with bondo takes a long time.

just wanted to show the kind of differences the change made in the overall shape and look of the helmet soo far.

here is the bucket as of right now I got the side seams filled but im still working on sanding the top its taking a while.

The big thing I wanted to show was the real difference shortening the jawline made in making the bucket shaped alot more like the films

BEFORE

AFTER

FILM

It really made a difference for the better its shaped better and more fitted to my head and face like the movies.

I need to start working on rounding the chin and getting rid of these silly ridges which aernt on the film buckets

Im thinking when I have the time im going to sculpt my own Y-Wing helmet because this is just rediculous. Even with all the mods im doing its still going to be way off in terms of proportions, shape, etc. Maybe im just too OCD about this stuff.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: