About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=52250dff27bcc9b199d2edbf3a0830beMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

leather for bandolier?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Fringe Weaponry and Props
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trickysix989 (Kym)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:51 pm    Post subject: leather for bandolier? Reply with quote

Id like to start working on a bandolier soon but I have no idea what type of leather to use and where to get it. Any suggestions guys? not very familiar with leather at all.
Wookiewannabe ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tandy Leather is the best place. I used 2 different thickness leathers for the bandolier and then the small straps over the boxes.

Chewy Layers snow to print
Torment (Jason Rucci)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tandy works but see if you can find a blank that is the right length that would be better. A hide can cost over 100 bucks and then you are stuck with a lot of extra leather left over. You are also going to want to get a 4 - 6 oz leather. An 8oz or heavier will be thick and very heavy.
trickysix989 (Kym)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tandy seems good..although I have no idea what kind of leather to use as they had so many lol. upholstery, saddle, garment.. Im lost. Dont know which is the best for bandolier. Also what color to choose?
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will want to go for the longest belt blank they have. I think the longest you can get is like 72 inches. After that you will have to use more than one... which is doable , just not a ton of fun.

Have you done any reading on the bandolier dementions yet?

The bag you can use a much thinner ounce of leather... maybe like a 3-5 oz

Bob
trickysix989 (Kym)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhhh...I see. The longest I saw was 64". So I would still need 2 or more I guess. And because they are blank in color I take it I have to dye them? Never worked with leather so this may be quite the challenge. I heard Mel makes all sorts of leather goods. I PMd Mel to see how much she charges for hers (she really does an awesome job) haven't heard back from her yet. Debating whether I want to buy one from her (depending on price) or bite the bullet and make my own...sigh...decisions decisions
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I am going off my memory on the length... I only know that cows are only so long. Rolling Eyes

I mean, there would be no issues if we could genetically alter a cow so they could be like 10 feet long... then we would be set!

If you plan on making your bandolier from scratch, you may just want to add that into measurements you will need once you have reached your ideal height.

Then make the bandolier... just my 2 cents.

Bob
trickysix989 (Kym)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol. Damn cows! I held off doing the bandolier till last because of the height issues. Now that my height is roughly 7 2"ish I can get a better idea of tackling the bandolier. I got a reply back from Mel with her leather work. Very impressed!! I plan to order one from her (amazing work) This will save me a lot of time and headache. I have enough of that doing latch hooking.
Cyodarun (Mel Mattson)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of your bandolier, I am just finishing up. You should have it shortly Cool
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion" - Author Unknown
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
dartoftruth ()

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cyodarun wrote:
Speaking of your bandolier, I am just finishing up. You should have it shortly Cool

Good choice! I love the bandolier I got
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Lumpy (Chris Blackstock)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed.
Mel does great work!!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im soooo excited! like a kid at Christmas getting their first gaming console. Cant wait mel!
Cyodarun (Mel Mattson)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, you are very kind.

Kym, your bandy is packed up and ready to go in the a.m.
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion" - Author Unknown
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Fringe Weaponry and Props All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: