About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=c538858889175653353fe2b92364b6afMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Help out a newbie

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Fringe Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coop000 ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:23 am    Post subject: Help out a newbie Reply with quote

I decided to make a Han Solo costume and I'm slowly starting.

I bought an airsoft gun to convert to the DL-44 and a kit from Doopy Doos to take the parts from to mod it. The kit arrived and I decided that it would just be easier to build the Doopy Doos one and save modding the air soft for later. Only I have some questions on how to put it together. I've never worked with resin before, only plastic and balsa. Would CA be a god glue choice, because in my mind this seems like a brittle joint for an object that will probably get banged around a bit.

Also I looked at some pants patterns and couldn't find any blue jeans patterns to modify. I'll take any and all suggestions as for some patterns to start with.
Nikkos Khann (Conley Nichols)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a link to lots of resources for your Han journey. I used a pajama pattern and brought it in to fit.

http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19539

Which Han Version are you doing?

'I've got a bad feeling about this!'
Docking Bay 94 Commanding Officer 2011-2014
Comlink Admin - Fringe LCJ,
Charter Committee
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incoming generic welcome aboard message.....

---------------------------------------

Welcome aboard first off.

Second and most important… read as much as you can. There are a lot of mistakes we have made, and you can save yourself a lot of money and time by reading advice on the boards and learn what to avoid before you even start.

I will throw a few links to thread that I would recommend reading.

I will also recommend that when you do buy your boots.. remember that the boots are usually the one item you will want to spend the most money on for they will give you the biggest return. A good pair of boots could be the difference between comfort and agony, and approval to membership or not.

I also highly recommend that you read up on the Han standards, there has also been talk about changes to Han boot standards, so I would recommend keeping a close watch out for updates for those as well

For all things Han I have built a list of things on this thread to help new guys out Han Archive

I would also take note of the following threads to help you on your way:

1. Airsoft mauser conversion

2. ESB air soft mauser conversion

3. pants info

4. Holster build from scratch

5. Making your own bloodstripes

6. ANH Vest Breakdown

7. Han Standards

On the pants pattern..... Its been a while since the Kwik sew pattern has been discontinued, but there has been another pattern that will work very well for Han pants, and that is the Burda Young Fashions pattern 7733.

This pattern should require very little to modify for a good pair of pants for Han. Form up the pocket to them main leg for pocket-less pants. Draw in your ridding seam on muslin fabric and you should be good to go. You may want to downsize just a dad for tight pants Wink.
The girls will love yah for it. solo blaster

Burda young 7733

The reason I suggest this pattern is its more of a straight legged pattern, and the yoke which will help a better fit with the ridding seam. Been noticing a lot of the pants out there don't have the yoke and this I feel can lead to an uncomfortable fit.

Bob

Read up on those threads, and then feel free to ask away, there is a lot of info we can help with.

Good luck!

Bob Kohn
coop000 ()

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help so far. I'm planning on ANH Han. I've read through most of the posts on here several times there's alot of good advice out there. I'm trying to make as much of the costume as possible. I think it will be a fun thing to do and I'll learn some cool stuff along the way.
theeviltwin ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Help out a newbie Reply with quote

coop000 wrote:
I decided to make a Han Solo costume and I'm slowly starting.

I bought an airsoft gun to convert to the DL-44 and a kit from Doopy Doos to take the parts from to mod it. The kit arrived and I decided that it would just be easier to build the Doopy Doos one and save modding the air soft for later. Only I have some questions on how to put it together. I've never worked with resin before, only plastic and balsa. Would CA be a god glue choice, because in my mind this seems like a brittle joint for an object that will probably get banged around a bit.

Hiya,

Good choice on the blaster. I started modding an airsoft mauser to use a very expensive kit with, and got a Doopy kit as a quick "stop-gap" and now love it (I'll finish the airsoft conversion one day).

Here's my quick and dirty gluing guide which is how I put my blaster together for Jedi-Con. I brought my blaster to Germany from the UK in my flight hold luggage painted and semi-assembled in three parts then glued it together in the hotel room the afternoon of the day before and it was rock solid for the entire event - and still is.

Anyway, I used "Araldite - Precision extra strong" glue (it's a 2 part epoxy glue) to glue it together. It's absolutely rock solid after 16hours and you can sand it like the resin if you need to. It doesn't harden for a few hours though, so the trick I used to hold everything together while it went hard was to use "Loctite Super Glue" to "tack" on the smaller pieces. It hardens quickly but isn't strong and won't actually fully bond with the resin. This is an advantage as it can easily be cleanly removed afterward with a craft knife. To give you an example with one of the three the round things that you will need to stick to the scope mount, you prepare the epoxy glue, spread it on the back of the round thing, spread a bit on the mount, put the round thing on the mount. The epoxy will stay runny and won't keep them stuck together for a few hours yet. To stop it moving and to temporarily hold it in place, use the super glue to tack the round thing to the mount with a small amount of glue on the outside where they join together. Don't worry, you can easily trim the superglue off when the epoxy has dried. To keep the whole scope mount assembly in place on the gun while it dried I just used zip ties. You really need to glue it together before painting it.

If it's an emergency hotel room assembly you can get away with it as long as you leave the surfaces that get stuck together unpainted, have a black Sharpie ready to colour in any missing paint, and are will to accept it won't be 100% perfect.

There's probably much better ways of sticking it together but it worked for me. I took more time on my first Doopy blaster, but my second "Jedi-Con" Doopy served my well (I now use it as my "backup") and have just bought a third unassembled kit to prep, fly over in my hold luggage and finish assemble in the hotel at CV!

Good luck.

Greg
SteveSolo (Steve Elliot)
Assistant Captain of the Guard
Assistant Captain of the Guard

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard, and congrats on deciding to join the ranks of smugglers, scoundrels, and fuzz balls. We are all here to help you in every step of the way. We are all here for you.

Please let us know how we can help you.

Everyone here had different strengths and we come together as a team here. Everyone can be of help to you.

Looking forward to seeing your completed costume in the future.

Phoenix 17
jedimika ()
Active Legion Member

Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome!
Nikkos Khann (Conley Nichols)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoloYT1300 wrote:

On the pants pattern..... Its been a while since the Kwik sew pattern has been discontinued, but there has been another pattern that will work very well for Han pants, and that is the Burda Young Fashions pattern 7733.

This pattern should require very little to modify for a good pair of pants for Han. Form up the pocket to them main leg for pocket-less pants. Draw in your ridding seam on muslin fabric and you should be good to go. You may want to downsize just a dad for tight pants Wink.
The girls will love yah for it. solo blaster

Burda young 7733

The reason I suggest this pattern is its more of a straight legged pattern, and the yoke which will help a better fit with the ridding seam. Been noticing a lot of the pants out there don't have the yoke and this I feel can lead to an uncomfortable fit.

Bob

Read up on those threads, and then feel free to ask away, there is a lot of info we can help with.

Good luck!

Bob Kohn

Umm, where were you hiding this pattern at? This is exactly what I need to make my next version of Han pants! Thanks. Mr. Green

'I've got a bad feeling about this!'
Docking Bay 94 Commanding Officer 2011-2014
Comlink Admin - Fringe LCJ,
Charter Committee
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Hurricane Sandy Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikkos Khann wrote:

Umm, where were you hiding this pattern at? This is exactly what I need to make my next version of Han pants! Thanks. Mr. Green

It was in my Moon pocket.... sorry. Wink
coop000 ()

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg thanks, that's just what I was looking for. I'll have to post some pictures once I start making some progress.

The pants pattern will be a huge help as well and is on its way as I type.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Fringe Archive All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: